• April 28, 2024, 05:48:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Belt Tension Testing?  (Read 1350 times)

There707

• View Profile
Belt Tension Testing?
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:28:19 AM »

My 2014 DS is the first belt drive bike I have owned. Is the best (maybe only) way to test belt tension to use the tension tester as indicated in the owners manual? Can you test the deflection of the belt similar to a chain on a chain drive bike?
The mechanic at my dealer just told me that these belt like to be tight. Problem is he didn't qualify how tight that is.

Anyone have another way to test this belt tension?
2016 Zero DSR 10th Year Anniversary
2008 Honda GL1800
2006 Honda VFR800
1986 Yamaha FZX750 (Fazer)
1982 Honda CB750C

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Re: Belt Tension Testing?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »

I'm definitely using the tool you will find on the Zero motorcycle internet accessory e-shop. As I'm living in France and can't order on the e-shop I simply bought the exact same tool on ebay (there are different models depending of the tension value).
I had to add some tension on my belt after the fist 1000kms but then it stay stable.
I'm changing both my tires today and so will need my tool again when putting bach the rear wheel. Futhermore this tool is really cheap.
Laurent

Brutus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »

For a quick and approximate tension adjustment, there is a free app for ipods and iphones - downloadable from itunes. It is made by gates corporation who manufacture drive belts. It depends on the frequency of the belt vibration being determined by its tension. You "twang" the belt in its middle whilst holding the iphone close - it determines the belt tension from the frequence or tone or the resultant sound. An alternative is a krikit type of tension meter. I have a belt drive bicycle and use these techniques, but my electric ride is a vectrix (direct drive). I'm on this forum researching peoples experience of zero bikes and the support they receive from zero - I am considering getting a zero DS. cheers.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »

Also for android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gates.pttoolkit

What is the part # of belt?
Pitch, width, length, number of teeth?

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »

On the android app description it doesn't tell that it will measure the sound. This app doesn't seem to be as sophisticated as the one on iPhone
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 11:20:52 PM »

I have check my belt this afternoon and OOOHHH my dear, the wheel wobbles as if the bearing sitting was not center in the hub !!!
And so my belt tension is 20kg at a wheel posistion and 40kg at a 180°turn position !!!!
I'm starting a thread with that.
Laurent
Pages: [1]