• April 29, 2024, 12:49:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Riding styles and safety  (Read 2392 times)

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Re: Riding styles and safety
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:49 AM »

Fair point WindRider. I know which is more fun though! ;-) Your approach is the safer of the two and will probably result in a longer riding career. We've had two deaths near us in the last week. :-(

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2014, 03:44:07 AM »

My feeling is that, while hi-vis is worthwhile, riding smart in traffic and keeping abreast of what everyone else is doing around you, is the best approach when riding in an urban area.  Loud pipes do not save lives.  All they do is irritate pedestrians and homeowners that you pass.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 07:16:47 PM »

My feeling is that, while hi-vis is worthwhile, riding smart in traffic and keeping abreast of what everyone else is doing around you, is the best approach when riding in an urban area.  Loud pipes do not save lives.  All they do is irritate pedestrians and homeowners that you pass.

+1

I wear high vis riding gear these days. I figure it can't hurt, but I still ride assuming I'm completely invisible. I've never subscribed to the "loud pipes" theory. With all the sound deadening and thousand watt stereos in modern cars, all but the loudest pipes will be isolated, drown out, and just plain ignored. Hyper attentiveness to traffic patterns, doing your best to keep an escape route, and assuming that everyone is out to kill you is the best way to make sure they don't, IMO.

Pedestrians bring up another issue I've experienced now that I'm riding an EV. I've had a few now step right out in front of me and cause some pretty close calls. It's not so much an issue in parking lots or neighborhood roads as the bike makes just enough noise to get people's attention, but on a city street where the ambient noise drowns out the motor and belt whine, someone buried in their Facebook app has no way to know your'e there ('cause you know they're too busy to look).
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »

No I'm not a huge fan of the Loud Pipes theory either, mostly because apart from what you say (which is true) exhausts pump nearly all their noise to the REAR of the bike, if loud pipes really saved lives I'd expect its advocates to lobby for their exhausts to point forwards... ;)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 08:58:29 PM »

All the studies I've read about say the same thing -- a loud bike is no safer than a quiet bike. You'll never convince a Harley rider of that, though. I have a couple of Harley-riding friends that refuse to use their front brakes, because they're convinced it'll throw them right over the bars.

That said, when I'm splitting lanes on San Diego freeways, I definitely find that the cars make way much better when I'm following a Harley with open pipes. That seems to be the one circumstance when it's clear that a loud bike is better-recognized by drivers.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 09:21:32 PM »

I rode my 2012 Zero S the way I ride my 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer 1000).  Slow.   ;)
+1
You do not need decal peeling acceleration to be safe on a motorcycle.
+1
I've never subscribed to the "loud pipes" theory. With all the sound deadening and thousand watt stereos in modern cars, all but the loudest pipes will be isolated, drown out, and just plain ignored. Hyper attentiveness to traffic patterns, doing your best to keep an escape route, and assuming that everyone is out to kill you is the best way to make sure they don't, IMO.
+1

In my riding career, everytime I've had a close call it's because I've been aggressive.   I totally subscribe to the "hyper-attentive/assume you're invisible/take-it-easy" style.   Loud pipes (on bikes or cars) are obnoxious.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

AustinSZF8.5

• Zero S ZF8.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 10:14:54 PM »

In my riding career, everytime I've had a close call it's because I've been aggressive.   I totally subscribe to the "hyper-attentive/assume you're invisible/take-it-easy" style.   Loud pipes (on bikes or cars) are obnoxious.

It's a bit of a different story here in Austin. Sure, I've had close calls that were my own fault, but the number of cars pulling out in front of me, trying to merge into me, drifting into my lane because their mobile is more important, and locking the brakes up behind me is almost enough to make me quit riding, and that's not to mention those who are actively tailgating and actually trying to crowd and scare me. But I'm glad to hear that CO traffic is still better than it is here, I'll be riding there again in a few weeks!  ;D
Jeff - Austin, TX
14 Zero S ZF 8.5
08 Kawasaki Versys
09 Honda CRF230L

97 Honda Magna - sold 2015
03 Triumph 955i Sprint ST - RIP 2013
87 Honda VFR 700 F2 - sold 2008
92 Yamaha Seca II - sold 2004

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 02:21:31 AM »

Yes Richard. I have a hi-vis helmet and jacket.  So far so good, although you do have to watch pedestrians not looking when they cross roads in busy areas. But normally going very slow and they mostly very predictable.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 03:48:53 AM »

That said, when I'm splitting lanes on San Diego freeways, I definitely find that the cars make way much better when I'm following a Harley with open pipes. That seems to be the one circumstance when it's clear that a loud bike is better-recognized by drivers.

If your splitting/filtering then the engine noise from the Harley will reflect off the cars to the sides, that'll help push some of the sound forwards. :)

But in those circumstances the harley engine is also not having to fight through the engine and road surface noise being generated by the car itself, so the drivers also have a better chance to hear the bike.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 04:51:48 AM »

Around here, car drivers seem to be looking more in their rear view mirrors and many will move over to let you filter by when they see you.  I think that is because some motorcycle riders are knocking off very expensive car mirrors as they speed by and the word is starting to get around that if you want to keep your mirrors, it is a good idea to move over.  Personally, I only filter when the traffic is stopped and am very careful of lane changers, especially when a gap in traffic opens up to either side of me.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
Riding styles and safety
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »

In the UK we have IAM, the Institute of Advanced Motorists. Do you have an equivalent in your country? I've got an observed ride with my instructor this evening as it happens. They're slowly moulding me into being a better rider. :-)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 08:27:17 PM »

In the UK we have IAM, the Institute of Advanced Motorists. Do you have an equivalent in your country? I've got an observed ride with my instructor this evening as it happens. They're slowly moulding me into being a better rider. :-)

If there are any "Advanced Motorists" in the U.S. I haven't seen them.   ::)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 12:47:51 AM »

I think "Advanced Motorists" are the ones that stop at thea stop light, and then begin inching up to and past the white line markers.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 02:44:54 AM »

Haha, so that's a no then!
Pages: 1 [2]