• April 28, 2024, 03:26:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero accessories  (Read 1722 times)

CScalpeL

• View Profile
Zero accessories
« on: October 13, 2014, 06:42:53 PM »

Ditching my scoot for a 2015 SR ;D As part of the purchase I'm getting a discount on the accessories.

I was thinking about getting the Dual Sport Screen, leather gloves and maybe the leather jacket...

Anyone have any experience with these items? Recommendations? Further suggestions?

Thanks!

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Zero accessories
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:23:08 PM »

Dual sport screen = yes.
My suggestion would be to ditch the leathers and use the money on a quick charger instead.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

CScalpeL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »

How big/heavy is the charger? Can you take it with you in a backpack? For me, its utility will be defined by its portability...

Thanks

EastSider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »

I agree with Justin Andrews.  Definitely go for the screen.

EastSider

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »

How big/heavy is the charger? Can you take it with you in a backpack? For me, its utility will be defined by its portability..

I personally wouldn't want to carry it in a backpack. Without taking closer look I would guess it is about a foot square and it's fairly heavy. I strap mine on the bike when I take it with me.

Trikester

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:18:29 PM »

I find the charger fits in the aftermarket soft case I have OK, but it's only 8.5A draw.  It's possible to chain up to 4 of 'em to reduce the charge time, but lugging 4 around is not for the faint of heart.  Look in the rest of the forum for discussions on how to make a more powerful charger that can be carried in less space and possibly even do faster charging via J1772 sources.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:33:25 PM »

Definitely screen. 

The jacket is really nice.  If you are thinking about faster charging, make sure you know what you plan to use it for and what the options are. 

You can get the "fast charger", but you need a 2nd circuit to plug it into and it cuts charge time in half. 

For much faster charging using a level 2 charger, most people have 2 Elcon 2500W chargers that they put in side cases.  You can get them through Harlan at Hollywood Electrics.  They cost more, but charge significantly faster. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

CScalpeL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 03:19:45 PM »

Great, so I'll definitely go with the screen and looks like I have to strategize a little bit regarding the quick charger...

I'll be using the bike mostly for commuting with only about 30 miles in each direction and a long time to charge in between. The quick charger will be useful in the cases where I won't be commuting but for that I'll have to figure out how to take the charger and if it will be at all possible to find two plugs in close vicinity of each other at my destination...

Trikester - how/where do you strap it on to your bike?

trekguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 05:56:59 AM »

You might want to think twice about any windscreens. Every screen I have ridden behind has added a lot of wind noise and buffetting.  That will disturb the tranquil ride ZERO is noted for.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 08:23:29 AM »

Trikester - how/where do you strap it on to your bike?

Oops! After I posted that I realized that I had never taken it with me on my DS's or the FX. It was on the e-trike and it has a rear rack. Sorry about that.  :-[

Trikester

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 12:51:51 PM »

Ditching my scoot for a 2015 SR

Also, be mindful you are going from a Scooter to what is roughly in terms of acceleration a Hayabusa, do be careful!  8)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 09:06:38 PM »

You might want to think twice about any windscreens. Every screen I have ridden behind has added a lot of wind noise and buffetting.  That will disturb the tranquil ride ZERO is noted for.

I put an aftermarket windshield (a Slipsteamer) on my bike, so my experience may be different than anybody else's, but my windscreen reduces the noise and increases the comfort overall. There's a little bit of buffeting around the helmet, but less than I had without it. It's dorky-looking but I love it.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 10:38:18 PM »

I put an aftermarket windshield (a Slipsteamer) on my bike, so my experience may be different than anybody else's, but my windscreen reduces the noise and increases the comfort overall. There's a little bit of buffeting around the helmet, but less than I had without it. It's dorky-looking but I love it.

Same experience here.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »

I carry my quick charger with me once in a while, it fits fairly well in a large laptop ( 17" ) back pack.
Not really that bad if there isn't much else in there.
Pages: [1]