• April 29, 2024, 03:02:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Zero Support  (Read 6458 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: Zero Support
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 02:48:48 AM »

I'm on the same page , these are extremely expensive machines and either the manufacturer needs to stand behind them or set up proper channels to get problems resolved quickly if they arise, I'm in love with the bikes (I've only just recently ridden a brammo) but feel the risk is too high to spend such a large chunk of cash on, it seems to me zeros apparent lack of customer service and brammo clearing out bikes without word on why or if they will even be around next year is too much of a gamble , most people work hard for what they have and deserve prompt resolutions from a company they have put their faith and money into

I think there is a significant difference in the customer support for bikes made before 2012 and after 2013.  It seems that the customer service for 2013+ is significantly improved.  Probably because that is when they moved to a different battery voltage, motor and other components.  It is my understanding that the risk is significantly lower if you purchase a 2013+ bike.

This doesn't diminish the pain of the few, and Zero has more room for improvement.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 05:23:31 AM »

I suspect they are struggling to get the parts for the 2012 and earlier models.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

cec

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 11:07:16 PM »

I have been very fortunate to never have any problems with my 2011 X.  Well outside of the overheating I experience on the race track but I am exceeding it's original purpose.  I no longer have a local dealer though.  My nearest dealer is about 500 miles away.  I recently ordered some parts for my 2011 from a dealer in another state and I am surprised and happy to say they showed up.  These were 2010/2011 specific parts.  Some sprockets and a Y quick charging cable.  Apparently Zero now has a parts ordering system in place for the dealers.  In the past I could not get any parts for my 2011 so hopefully this is a positive change.  I figure mostly I am on my own for my 2011 if I have issues.  I will keep using it and enjoying it until one day this battery dies.  Then who knows. 

C

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 06:47:59 AM »

I had terrible service from the "dealership" where I bought my 2012 ZF9 - but the dealership was NorCal Mastercraft - primarily a watersports dealerships (boats, jet skis, etc.)  I could clearly see that the folks at this dealership were not interested in motorcycles at all, let alone electric motorcycles. The salesman, the mechanic, the manager - all had the same attitude ("oh no - here comes that electric motorcycle guy again").
Zero cut ties with them - as they should have.
The closest dealership to me now is Contra Costa Power Sports in Concord, CA - an actual motorcycle dealership. I talked to the salesmen and manager there about my previous experience and my hesitation to buy another electric motorcycle. They reassured me that they are very excited about the electric bikes. The manager said that their mechanics have already learned about the Zero bikes and they will receive more training and support from Zero as needed.
Also - the new bikes are selling like crazy :-)
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 02:11:19 AM »

Just realised I hadn't tied off my comments on this thread.  My Zero S ZF9 was fitted with a new battery and BMS over Christmas and returned to me from Holland in the New Year.  And this free of charge, courtesy of an intervention from Umberto Uccelli, CEO Europe.  So of course I am delighted and with the excellent service from Streetbike (Birmingham UK) feel that the problem was dealt with professionally, even if after some negotiation.  I am keen to see Zero return to the UK, hopefully providing the same level of support they have afforded me on this occasion.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 02:20:25 AM »

That's great news Mike. I'm glad it all got sorted in the end. Thanks for letting us know.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 04:41:29 AM »

I agree.  It is good to hear positive stories about Zero's customer service.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 06:31:25 AM »

Just realised I hadn't tied off my comments on this thread.  My Zero S ZF9 was fitted with a new battery and BMS over Christmas and returned to me from Holland in the New Year.  And this free of charge, courtesy of an intervention from Umberto Uccelli, CEO Europe.  So of course I am delighted and with the excellent service from Streetbike (Birmingham UK) feel that the problem was dealt with professionally, even if after some negotiation.  I am keen to see Zero return to the UK, hopefully providing the same level of support they have afforded me on this occasion.

Bloody good news mate!
Streetbike themselves are also damn fine dealers. Even though they are not my closest dealer, they are rapidly becoming my go to dealer. Its worth traveling for the service there. Which reminds me, I need new over pants... :)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

woke

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 09:47:30 PM »

Like mikeisted, I bought my 2012 S in the middle of last year from a dealer.  It had been used as a demo bike and only had 2000 miles on it.  Because it was 2 years old the warranty had just expired.
Within my first 100 miles I started getting the power loss glitch, possibly because I was riding it and leaving it out in the rain for the first time.  The firmware update and a new BMS board under recall reduced the impact of the power loss but didn't stop it.
After another 3 weeks at Streebike here in the UK and dozens of e-mails to Zero, I have finally conceded to Zero's "more than reasonable" offer (their words; definitely not mine!) to discount the price of the new motor and new MBB board by 25%.  I haven't had a positive experience with Zero, despite Aaron Cheatham, Zero's "Director of Customer Experience" <aaron@zeromotorcycles.com> indicating that we would be able to come to an agreeable resolution.  The most insulting part is Zero's argument that the bike's previous use as a demo and having been ridden in Canada will reduce its life.  Like that justifies it failing at less than 2500 miles!
$2100 later, the only silver lining is that Zero say they have very recently redesigned the 2012 motor.  They are providing me with a hybrid motor based on the 2013 design.  If they did their job correctly this time, the motor won't fail before its 1 year part warranty is up!  At this point, I'm not holding my breath.

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 02:11:40 AM »

over 5 months in the shop and still not fixed

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 02:24:31 AM »

The lack of commitment by Zero for their earlier model-year products is irritating to hear about, and I'm sure it's infuriating to endure through.
It sounds like it would take a mechanical magician to keep one of the pre-2013 Zero's running for the 'long-haul'; 5 months in the shop is way too long.

Seems as if ownership and management at Zero thinking that this is a short term venture for them; IMO Not the "all-in" commitment from a top brand.
Why provide good customer service to promote good will with the early adopters and tech enthusiasts when they will purchase their products anyways ??
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 04:01:53 AM »

I wonder how the 100 2012 Zeros sold to Bogota, Columbia and the 57 2012 Zeros sold to Hong Kong are doing?   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MotoRyder

• Riding innovative motorcycle machinery is a passion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 11:50:19 PM »

One can only imagine the level service that would be provided, based on reports from neglected customers we hear about.

With minimal technical documentation available, the best approach for learning/knowing what to check and/or correct is word-of-mouth guidance from the factory personnel to mechanics working on the bikes.  In the Bay Area, it seems that decent customer service is provided with a good level of technical support.  However, the further away from their home area and with the very real possibility of language barriers, it would take an electrical/mechanical magician to keep one of the earlier model year machines running.
Traveling by motorcycle, one can experience the true ambience of the surroundings

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2015, 04:38:51 AM »

In mass they are required to provide a service manual for everything sold including electric, wonder how it works for someone it thoes states?
Tesla had to give up theirs... Wouldn't zero too, or does it come after you sign a non disclosure.
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2015, 05:20:58 AM »

Cortezdtv can you elaborate on that? Do you mean that for Zeros owned in Massachusetts, Zero are obliged to provide a service manual? Reason I ask is as I live in Massachusetts, and our 2012 Zero's warranty is about to expire. And the snow's finally melting, so it will get some use again. Haven't been able to ride since New Year's eve.

"Earlier year machines"- there are still some new 2012 Zeros for sale - e.g. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Zero-DS-ZF6-112872853 - shouldn't require a magician to keep one running should it (to clarify - I'm not disagreeing with MotoRyder here, just raising the expectations problem again).

Peter

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4