• April 29, 2024, 11:50:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Our motor controllers could become much smaller, lighter and handle more power.  (Read 1261 times)

trikester

• View Profile

Here is a development, using 3D printing and silicon carbide, that could greatly help improve electric vehicle drive systems.

http://www.ornl.gov/ornl/news/news-releases/2014/new-ornl-electric-vehicle-technology-packs-more-punch-in-smaller-package

Silicon carbide semiconductors have been a long time in the research labs (about 55 years) and are now coming into their own. Way back then I remember seeing a photo of a SC diode glowing red from being driven very hard and it was still rectifying AC. Of course a motor controller wouldn't be driven to the point where it got that hot but it could sure be used at higher temps than pure silicon.

All good stuff in our future.

Trikester

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile

Hi trikester though you might like this.

poor mans power controller.

Richard230

• View Profile

That looks like fun, firepower.  My idea of a poor man's power controller is my right wrist, though.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile

GaN and SiC are definitely going to change the game for controllers. There are some tricks with gate drive though. Next gen everything will probably be Narrow band gap.

trikester

• View Profile

When I was a teenager I used a salt water bath "resistor" to control current to a carbon arc furnace I had built. It wasn't as sophisticated as his adjustable lye bath, however. Mine was fixed after I experimented with the amount of salt to get the current limiting I needed. Lye would probably have been a better choice than salt.

His liquid variable resistor is a good idea, I should have done something like that.

Trikester

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile

I thought it was very clever idea (if a bit dangerous), especially not needing any advance technology.
Pages: [1]