• April 28, 2024, 09:06:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: LED Aux Lights on 2012 XU  (Read 1333 times)

pluto

• View Profile
LED Aux Lights on 2012 XU
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »

Started dismantling the fairing on my 2012 XU to figure out where I'm going to hook up my Denali DM Micro LED Aux lights.

Apparently the bike is supposed to have an Accessory power connector somewhere but I have no idea where? Any ideas?

Fuse box label showing second fuse from the top is the 'Accessory' (ACCY) and 4th slot is spare

No fuse installed in 4th slot, only 3 blue wires coming out left side of fusebox. 4 red wires all come from same thicker red wire.

Mess of wires and connectors! No obvious accessory jack...

Anyone have any experience with this?

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
Re: LED Aux Lights on 2012 XU
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:51:58 AM »

You may have a look at the bottom of your steering between chassis and tank bag case. At my Zero S 2013 there is an accessory connector at the cable tree there using an Connector which you can get from Zero or Buell.
See my post for this: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3427.15

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 03:44:18 AM »

If it is like the 2013's then it will run off one of the blue cables coming from the fuse box on a 30amp fuse. If you don't see this then it hasn't been installed yet.

All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 05:44:28 AM »

30 amp? All three fuses installed on mine are 10amp (Headlight, 'Accy' and Flsh/Hrn/Brk). The 'spare' spot didn't have a fuse installed. Rather than fiddle around trying to connect a wire to the 'blue' side of the fusebox (which is inconveniently located behind the frame), I snipped the red wire off and connected it to the LED lights (which have their own inline 10amp fuse). I tapped into the ground wire going to the headlight using a Posi-tap.

Note these are not the Denali's, but a different set of lights I bought which are actually 10w each instead of the Denali's 5w. I am planning to swap them for the Denalis which are currently on my gas bike. Not sure when I'll get around to that now that these are hooked up :P

Mounting position was intended to create a 'triangle of light' - this seemed like the best spot without doing anything drastic (drilling into the frame)

Now to see if there is any impact on range...

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 12:56:49 AM »

Happy to report that I haven't seen any impact on range with the lights on. They are really noticeable, I drove my other bike and my wife went on the Zero behind me and when I look in the mirror, its BRIGHT!

pluto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:06:23 AM »

Lights still working well, no impact on range at all.

Now thinking about hooking up heated gloves (30 watts total) or maybe even a jacket liner (60 watts). Although the range of the Zero seems to take a hit overall when the ambient temps start dropping below 10c so I'll probably put it away and ride my gas bike till the snow flies fairly soon.

I think I'll pull the 'ACCY' fuse and see what happens - I'm assuming nothing. If that's the case I'll do the same thing I did for the 'spare' wire and use it to feed an inline 10amp fuse for the clothing controller. Should be able to pull up to 120 watts. Expecting to see a bit more impact on range but would still be usable for short trips in-town.
Pages: [1]