• April 27, 2024, 09:13:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Insurance wont cover me, bike is too unique  (Read 3440 times)

biolife

• View Profile
Re: Insurance wont cover me, bike is too unique
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 02:37:44 PM »

Just to add some perspective, I went to get a quote from ICBC (the provincial insurer here in British Columbia) and the basic third-party insurance is $1400/year. With comprehensive coverage and collision the cost goes up to a whopping $4400/year. Needless to say, I'm going to pay the bare minimum and just foot the cost myself for any potential repair bills. And yes, we're totally getting ripped off in BC.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 10:51:21 PM »

Foremost Insurance (Illinois USA) has "Zero Motorcycles" in the dragdown for Manufacturer - and all the Models!
http://www.aarpforemost.com/AARP/products/motorcycle/
Even with 100/300 coverage quoted at $273/year for just me or $519/year total with a novice rider. ($500 deduct, towing, no tickets, no accidents, no safety course, plus uninsured)

No conventional site - has Motorcycle manufacturer as freetext - so Zero should not be a problem.
http://www.foremost.com/products/motorcycle/
but would clearly prefer you had an agent.

Marquise33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 04:54:03 AM »

Try safeco they insured my 2014 zero S for $20.00 month or $250 for the year full coverage with no questions asked.

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 01:19:49 AM »

AAA gives the best rates.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 04:34:20 AM »

I think it depends upon which market your are in.  I don't think anyone can beat the Progressive Insurance yearly premium that I am paying for my $250K/$500K liability-only policy of $37.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 09:33:26 PM »

Progressive appears to be a good rate - thanks for posting coverage for comparison. Foremost can't touch that for me.
Progressive's initial rate is designed to be lower... I found that each renewal brings a rate increase just below what one's tolerance to cancel. I think they use demo-graphical modelling. I tolerated it for about 2 years.  I'm glad they insure Zero's (not so rare anymore) but Progressive will not be insuring my Zero, even for basic coverage.

hinse

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 10:35:02 PM »

Here in Ontario I use The Personal, it's an affinity program with the Professional Engineers association.

For a 2011 Zero S, with a $300 deductible, I am paying about $200/yr.

Funny thing the rate they gave me is the as for a 399cc.
Obviously more powerful than my machine.

Does anyone know what is the equivalent cc's for a 2011 Zero S?
EV Lover,
Electric Bus Driver,
Electric Bicycle rider,
Battery System Builder,
And ZERO 2020 SR/F rider.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 11:02:26 PM »

I pay much less than all of you don't know why

But

Progressive

100 a year

Goes to 150 per year full coverage and when I added a second bike third and 4th they are all under 300 per year Easily!!!! I think it's 250 ish

I think someone messed up one everyone's quotes.  As an electric bike you are allowed to enter the number of cc for the vehicle because it's electric it has no cc and you are legally allowed to write zero or most insurance companies won't let you write "0 " for engine size so you write anything under 49.5 cc's

Most of the laws all go back to smog issues even for insurance

Here's what I use when anyone gets huffy with me, can put anyone at dmv etc in their place real quick

Cops aren't the law neither is dmv; they are interpreters of the law and not necessarily on your side, the judge is suppose to be the middle ground well when your at dmv you don't exactly have a mediating force on your side.

Without further ado. What I use

Dear Drew:
On road motorcycles with engine displacement less than 50 cc are exempt from California's emissions standards. [See Ref. 1 below.]  A pure electric motorcycle can be said to have zero displacement, therefore if the vehicle meets the California Department of Motor Vehicle's definition of "motorcycle" in Vehicle Code Section 400, and the vehicle is pure electric powered, that is, there is no internal combustion engine or other power source emitting criteria pollutants, the vehicle is exempt from emissions certification in California.  For a pure electric motorcycle, a California Vehicle Emission Control Information label is not required.
California Vehicle Code §400.  http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/d1/400
Ref. 1. Title 13, California Code of Regulations, Section 1958.
https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Document/I6E7243702DDD11E197D9B83B68A61150?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=%28sc.Default%29&bhcp=1

Steven Hada, Air Resources Engineer
On-Road Light-Duty Certification Section
Air Resources Board, Emissions Compliance, Automotive Research and Science Division
9528 Telstar Ave., El Monte, California 91731
Phone;  (626) 575-6641, FAX (626) 575-6685

"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 06:27:42 AM »

I went through the pain of getting the Zero SR insured.

Progressive wins my business by being the only one who wasn't a complete box of retards.

Let's see, where do I start with the massive bags of fail?

It's been 4 days and neither Allstate nor Safeco have responded.

Foremost quoted for the FJR. No mention of the Zero.

State Farm refused to insure the Zero, saying they only do mass-produced bikes, not custom built.

GEICO (my current policy) says it'd be $424 to add the Zero, bringing my total to $854. That's all they say. No confirmation of the coverage or the bike information to be sure they got it right. Real professional.

Progressive gives me an interactive form that states the dollar cost of each line item. They have help buttons next to each item, explaining it. They list all the discounts I'm getting, such as ABS brakes and multiple vehicles. They have the electric thing under control, saying "enter 0cc for an electric scooter, or 1cc for any other electric vehicle". I can change the coverage and see how the premium changes, When I'm done, I can print a report listing the detailed driver, vehicle, and coverage information. I can save the quote for up to 60 days. They are pro and on top of the situation.

At the end of all that, it's only $437/year total for both bikes. That's cheaper than what I'm currently paying GEICO for just the FJR.

The uninsured motorist coverage is expensive, but I bought that because there's lots of assholes driving around here without insurance, despite it being the state law. I also got comprehensive to cover theft, since I've already had 3 bikes stolen. I also spent the extra $8 for disappearing deductible.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 06:40:37 AM »

Glad I'm not the only one who did that with progressive
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 06:42:51 AM »

Progressive's initial rate is designed to be lower... I found that each renewal brings a rate increase just below what one's tolerance to cancel. I think they use demo-graphical modelling. I tolerated it for about 2 years.
Yes, Progressive did that to me, which is why I moved to GEICO. I might end up bouncing between Progressive and other companies at each renewal. At the moment, I'm back with them.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 11:25:31 PM »

State Farm refused to insure the Zero, saying they only do mass-produced bikes, not custom
That's weird. State Farm insured my SR right away with no issues for about $300 per year with max coverage. They better have, with my business and family I have 9 vehicles with State Farm and I have been with them for years.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser
Pages: 1 [2]