• April 28, 2024, 02:48:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Winter and battery maintenance  (Read 2323 times)

Spenny818

• View Profile
Winter and battery maintenance
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »

I had a bit of a scare yesterday. My bike is in winter storage in the garage (no heat). Here in Ontario, it's been around -15c lately, and I've been making a habit of checking on the bike every week to make sure it's still charged and doing well. I went out last night and found the green dash light to be off, and the BMS was rapidly blinking 1 red light. I tried unplugging and plugging the bike back in, but got nothing. Called Zero and they recommended moving the bike to somewhere warmer. Unfortunately there are stairs to go up for every door to the house. I brought a space heater out to the garage and faced it about 1 foot away from the battery. After an hour I tried plugging the bike in and the green charging light flashed 3 times, then tripped the breaker. The good news is that means the bike is drawing power! I had to leave for work so I unplugged the heater, reset the breaker, and plugged the bike back in. We will see what I come home to in the morning, but hopefully no permanent damage was done to the battery. Zero wants me to send them the logs tomorrow, although the logs you can send from your phone don't include the battery logs apparently. FYI - I have a 2013 Zero S 11.4. The Zero rep also told me that this issue with cold weather storage was corrected in a firmware update that came out October 2014. I guess I didn't get the memo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Winter and battery maintenance
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »

Thanks, that's interesting to know, my 2013 DOES NOT like charging in the cold, at all. I get a lot of failure to charge (that is it won't start charging for hours on end) when the ambient temps are around 4-5C or below.

I might call my dealer and see if there are updates I can grab.

For the future, my recommendation is to build the MBB communications cable, that lets you download the full logs from your bike, as well as seeing whats going on in your BMS. Very useful. This cable should be a Zero Accessory.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

kensiko

• View Profile
Re: Winter and battery maintenance
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »

I had a bit of a scare yesterday. My bike is in winter storage in the garage (no heat). Here in Ontario, it's been around -15c lately, and I've been making a habit of checking on the bike every week to make sure it's still charged and doing well. I went out last night and found the green dash light to be off, and the BMS was rapidly blinking 1 red light. I tried unplugging and plugging the bike back in, but got nothing. Called Zero and they recommended moving the bike to somewhere warmer. Unfortunately there are stairs to go up for every door to the house. I brought a space heater out to the garage and faced it about 1 foot away from the battery. After an hour I tried plugging the bike in and the green charging light flashed 3 times, then tripped the breaker. The good news is that means the bike is drawing power! I had to leave for work so I unplugged the heater, reset the breaker, and plugged the bike back in. We will see what I come home to in the morning, but hopefully no permanent damage was done to the battery. Zero wants me to send them the logs tomorrow, although the logs you can send from your phone don't include the battery logs apparently. FYI - I have a 2013 Zero S 11.4. The Zero rep also told me that this issue with cold weather storage was corrected in a firmware update that came out October 2014. I guess I didn't get the memo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey! I'm in Quebec so I faced the "not charging in cold temperature" issue. Don't worry, it's OK. Zero is telling us to leave the bike plugged in, but it will not charge during all winter. The battery can be left uncharging for a while without any issue. But in the manual they say I think that it should be kept over -35 Celcius. To prevent going below -35 during extreme cold weather, even if I doubt it would go below -35 in the garage, I bought an electric blanket. It will not necessarily allow charging but will keep the battery over -35.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.
Pages: 1 [2]