• April 29, 2024, 02:04:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Can error and battery dead?  (Read 1164 times)

Burton

• View Profile
Can error and battery dead?
« on: February 18, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »

Here is what I know.
Last night I noticed an error on the bike while it was charging. 2 3 was the sequence, can error. I figured it was because it was cold given my bike had previously lost contact with the Sevcon in January and shut it off while riding in a snow storm. So I turned the heater in garage back on an went to bed.

This morning I am still getting the same error and this time I turned the bike on. No battery reading at all.

Here is what I am going to do.
1) check all connections from Sevcon to MBB especially the couple wires responsible for the can messaging.
2) check voltage at the Sevcon when bike is on to confirm battery reading.
3) if battery is low great out the rsp-2000 chargers and set them to charge the bike (the charge light on koso display is solid)
4) depending what happens bring bike inside from garage

I will update this post as I test things
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Can error and battery dead?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:10:55 PM »

Results:
1) Haven't checked yet

2) Turned bike back on, headlight came on (something I didn't check for last time), pulled out connector for my Anderson which is connected at the sevcon for B+ / B- and checked voltage. 94v was the reading.

3) Got my RMA back but didn't check the input current potentiometer so I popped both of the hoods off on them and set the resistance value from the two pins I could get a reading on to an equal value of the other one I didn't send back. (is this the right way of doing this) Then set the voltages to 50 each since I knew the rsp's will only charge when the voltage they are trying to bring up to their level is X% below the setting. Took them to the bike and turned the chargers on with 240v 50amp power source.

Turned bike on, waited for it to cycle and when the koso display came on it showed a full battery 0_0 ... checked voltage at the Anderson connector and it was 114.5v Set both RSP's to 57v so I can test them later

Going from here. I am going to wiggle the four wires associated with the CAN signal at all connection ends to see if anything happens. I didn't do this first as I was more concerned with getting the battery charged and frankly I hate taking off the seat on my bike lol

I will likely do the wiggle / pull test with the bike on, then turn it off and back on between checking each connection.

Any other suggestions welcome. Now might be a good time to try and get my USB to CAN connector working again so I can download the logs in a format I can read them :/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:40:55 PM »

Taking the seat off of my bike is about the only thing I am qualified to do.  I have no idea what you are talking about, Burton.   ???

But I did manage to install an Air Hawk seat pad last night and (after a few minutes of struggling) I even got the seat back on. Just give me a wrench to spin and you can keep your Anderson connectors.   ;)

Anyway, good luck with your investigation and I wish you success in eliminating the gremlins.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 09:53:13 PM »

I had to stop working on the bike to issue an emergency patch for an internal application I am responsible for writing at my place of employment. And having been awake for a while figured I would get breakfast lol

When I bought my ninja 250 I spent a couple months pouring over all literature on how to maintenance it. When I finally found a bike I liked I brought it home and stripped it to the frame to clean and tune everything to spec. Previous to this I knew nothing about working on mechanical vehicles.

You would be surprised what you can do if you really want to learn how to do it. ;)

As far as removing the seat goes it use to take me a while to put it back on but I have developed a new system to take it off and on to reduce the time required to do it. I want to engineer a method to do it more quickly though as it is still not as simply as my ninja 250 :D

The Anderson connector in question is use for my external RSP-2000-48 stack and hooks up to the controller at B+/- so it can interface with the battery at higher amperage without having to worry about tripping the contactor to charge. If I want to use it without the bike being on I turn the stock charger on then wait for the contactor to close before plugging in the rsp-2000 stack for somewhere close to 52 amps of charging :)

Here is some cable / charger pron for you

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »

Well there is only one thing I dislike more than something breaking ... not knowing how something broke.

I went through and wrote down all the CAN wires coming from the sevcon connector
  • 13 Goes to my DB9 board for interfacing with sevcon CAN HIGH
  • 24 Blue Goes to pin 2 and to DB9 board 5v CAN LOW
  • 2 Blue Goes to pin 24 and to DB9 board 5v CAN Termination
  • 16 White to 22:40 5v CAN HIGH
  • 27Blue 21:40 5v CAN LOW
  • 28 Yellow (red stripe) 24V goes to transducer power supply CAN PWR

Started bike up with seat off. Wiggled and pulled all wire terminals involved and nothing caused the error. Turned bike off plugged in charger and tried again.

Not sure what caused the problem ... and that is a problem. Going to try to get my CAN to USB cable working if I can and get my logs downloaded.
Pages: [1]