• April 29, 2024, 04:03:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2015 Zero Mod thread!  (Read 10408 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2015 Zero Mod thread!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »

Nice to see a double controller bike out there soon, I'm jealous, should be wicked fast which are you going to piggyback?

Will go to dual size fours. Possobly an atf cooled motor aswell. 880 phase amps and ~90hp s pretty awesome.

Wouldn't a motor filled with oil run hotter and be less efficient if it was pushing that oil around?  Plus, oil is not a very efficient cooling fluid. I would think that a motor like the Z-force type would be much better cooled if it could be surrounded by a water jacket with the anti-freeze/water mixture cooled by a normal radiator. (You probably wouldn't need a fan, but would need a small electric motor to circulate the coolant.)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 10:46:28 PM »

I rather have nothing conductive around the motors, they dislike water enough as it...  ::)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 11:45:09 PM »

Wouldn't a motor filled with oil run hotter and be less efficient if it was pushing that oil around?  Plus, oil is not a very efficient cooling fluid. I would think that a motor like the Z-force type would be much better cooled if it could be surrounded by a water jacket with the anti-freeze/water mixture cooled by a normal radiator. (You probably wouldn't need a fan, but would need a small electric motor to circulate the coolant.)

Run hotter, no, the opposite.
Less efficient, yes, by a very small margin.

Internal oil cooling in present in some of the most power dense motors, like Mission and Rimac motors.
Less efficiency would come from oil friction inside the motor, which only depends on the "smoothness" of the rotor.
Example of smooth:
http://remyinc.com/docs/HVH410R2.pdf

Not smooth:
http://www.ewh.ieee.org/soc/es/Nov1997/09/B_8POL1.JPG

Why internal oil cooling instead of water jacket? Shorter thermal path and the possibility to effectively cool the rotor.

PS- Rimac motors use both, internal oil cooling AND water jacket

Farfle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 11:58:28 PM »

The zero motor is not limited by stator heat, its temp cutoff is limited by rotor heat (like a 60C deltaT stator to rotor iirc) . And that simply filling the motor slightly less than halfway with ATF almost doubled the continuous power output.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 12:00:33 AM »

The zero motor is not limited by stator heat, its temp cutoff is limited by rotor heat (like a 60C deltaT stator to rotor iirc) . And that simply filling the motor slightly less than halfway with ATF almost doubled the continuous power output.

Do you have numbers to compare milling out the sides of the motor to air cool it ? I would love to see a comparison of the two.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Farfle

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 12:01:55 AM »

Do you have numbers to compare milling out the sides of the motor to air cool it ? I would love to see a comparison of the two.

Sadly no. All I have is word of mouth from probably the most reputable person in the subject. And he didnt go over air cooling. It cant hurt though.

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 12:14:01 AM »

Sadly no. All I have is word of mouth from probably the most reputable person in the subject. And he didnt go over air cooling. It cant hurt though.

LFP using this?
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=137&pcid=9

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 01:21:54 AM »

X2 heard this before
atf for the win

I'm just unsure about having a box of oil right in front of my rear wheel; I'd rather have 7500-8000 rpms..... You know what I speak of...
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

RNM

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 01:53:12 AM »

I'm just unsure about having a box of oil right in front of my rear wheel; I'd rather have 7500-8000 rpms..... You know what I speak of...

"Box of oil" is the standard of millions of motorcycles, we'll manage... [emoji6]

8000rpm on Zero's motor is doable with a bit of fibre glass or kevlar to hold the magnets. (carbon fiber is conductive, not good for that...)

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 08:43:23 PM »

a monolith opening
Whee! I am looking forward to that. Can you explain quickly what the monolith even is?

I saw a bunch of apes clustered around mine, touching it and humming. Oh wait, those were the dealer service techs.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »

The Monolith is the nickname for the battery pack, probably because it's a big black rectangle. ;)

Its where the un-isolated HV lives, all the HV lines before the contactor are in the monolith, so the chances of accidentally vapourising a tool/battery/yourself become a possibility. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:09:28 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 09:50:11 PM »

OK, I was asking because my power tank install instructions mentioned removing the fuse from the monolith, which is this small silver box located just forward of the seat. It's a separate unit from the controller or any batteries. I was wondering what the heck that was.

(And I just noticed in said instructions that it's indeed black in the photo, instead of silver.)

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »

The monolith is simply a housing that holds "X" number of individual modules (bricks).
Your Power Tank is a single 116VDC ZF 2.8 battery brick in it's own housing with it's own BMS card. When installed the interconnect cables add this 5'th module (when added to the ZF12.5) in parallel with the monolith battery pack.
The monolith contains 3 or 4 of these individual battery "bricks" depending on whether it's a ZF9.4 or ZF12.5.
These individual modules are connected in parallel to get the higher Power rating while retaining the same voltage.
Note that on 2014 models the monoliths were ZF8.5 and ZF11.4.
Slight improvement in power density for 2015 resulted in the higher rating.

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 12:07:50 AM »

Hm. That sounds like the large black box at the front, but then this refers to a different small silver box, just aft of the power tank battery:

Quote from: Power Tank instructions
Remove the low power B+ fuse from the monolith. It is located on the left side of the motorcycle underneath the back end of the plastic tank at front of seat.

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 12:32:04 AM »

The only "silver box" that I can think of on the Zero is the DC-DC Converter.
(not including the larger Sevcon Controller).

Neither the DC-DC Converter nor the (black) MBB have fuses built into them.
There is a box/tower attached to the top of the Monolith that we referred to as the "doghouse" that contains the contactor and other support components. IIRC this was black also.

Unfortunately all of my notes, documents and support info stayed on the laptop that was owned by and returned to Zero.
Pages: 1 [2] 3