• April 27, 2024, 02:33:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Should Zero have a Repair / Service  Manual Available?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Repair / Service Manual.  (Read 4573 times)

Ndm

• View Profile
Re: Repair / Service Manual.
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »

I'm with you, I've been a licensed mechanic for 20 years (everything from cars and performance tuning to municipal equipment to emergency response vehicles) if I'm buying a 25k toy, (because for many who can't ride all year it is not a necessity) I must have things like torque specs , tightening procedures, wiring diagrams and troubleshooting trees, do the dealers get service manuals to repair these bikes? If so then the work of producing a manual is a moot point, if not I would refuse to work on them if I were a tech at the shop, for both personal safety and personal liability reasons. this could be another source of revenue for the shops and zero as well or even a bargaining chip when negotiating a sale
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 09:51:21 PM »

jheth, you didn't address your point #2.

If Zero don't expect owners to want to try to fix their bikes, then maybe Zero should have made more reliable machines. I can' speak for the post-2012 Zeros, that may prove more reliable, but the 2012 and earlier bikes seems like they were sold with a belief that it's perfectly all right for owners to be beta-testers. Our 2012 XU is an example of a vehicle that should not have been sold to the motoring public.

It's one thing to have the horn fail with a couple of weeks of getting the bike - that's something I can troubleshoot (years of owning Italian motorcycles means knowing how to troubleshoot electrics). As Richard says, at least providing a chassis manual would be a start. We're coming up to the end of our warranty on the XU and I don't know what I'm going to do the next time it breaks down, but I know that paying a dealer to fix it will be very low on my list of options.

Our XU cost just over $5K with a rat Kwak 250 as a trade-in, and I think we made a mistake spending that much.
Peter

jheth

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 03:05:26 AM »

jheth, you didn't address your point #2.

If Zero don't expect owners to want to try to fix their bikes, then maybe Zero should have made more reliable machines. I can' speak for the post-2012 Zeros, that may prove more reliable, but the 2012 and earlier bikes seems like they were sold with a belief that it's perfectly all right for owners to be beta-testers. Our 2012 XU is an example of a vehicle that should not have been sold to the motoring public.

It's one thing to have the horn fail with a couple of weeks of getting the bike - that's something I can troubleshoot (years of owning Italian motorcycles means knowing how to troubleshoot electrics). As Richard says, at least providing a chassis manual would be a start. We're coming up to the end of our warranty on the XU and I don't know what I'm going to do the next time it breaks down, but I know that paying a dealer to fix it will be very low on my list of options.

Our XU cost just over $5K with a rat Kwak 250 as a trade-in, and I think we made a mistake spending that much.
Peter

Zero didn't make a conscience decision to design and sell an unreliable product. They were learning in the early stages, and it has paid off. The 2013+ platform is much better. It also wasn't their intention to piss off owners by not providing service manuals to them. That's what the dealers are for. They are trained and equipped to perform the service, but with a problematic design (ie. 2012 and earlier models), even dealers had troubles fixing issues. That's the nature of being an early adopter of a new technology (or new application of existing technology). All early adopters should understand and accept this risk when they buy in. Tesla Roadster owners had high dissatisfaction, but the Model S is so much better in so many ways because of lessons learned.

Here's my explanation of my 2nd point above (owners want to fix their own bike). Again, I support owners fixing their own vehicles, but if it's on warranty, the dealer should be the first point of support. Of course there are situations/issues that don't warrant a long drive (ie. transporting the bike in a truck) just to have a dealer's service dept look into something that might be a minor annoyance. However, remember that Zero's dealership network is very small... VERY small compared to the major bike manufacturers that have millions of bikes on the roads. If your closest dealer is 3-4 hours away, that is also part of the deal you sign up for if you purchase a vehicle from a very small and still expanding manufacturer. It's not fair to compare Zero to Honda, BMW, Ducati, etc. They are at a very different stage in their company lifecycle, making a very different product.

I am concerned with the comments being made on this particular thread, insinuating that Zero has poor customer service because of this reason. Or worse, that current owners are telling others not to buy the bike for this reason. It appears that many Zero owners on this forum come from a long history of owning ICE motorcycles, with a plethora of 3rd party or manufacturer service manuals to assist them with repairing the bike themselves. Having decades of experience in this world, and switching over to this new motorcycle technology (with limited publicly-available service documentation) can be frustrating. But again, an owner agrees to this situation when he/she purchases the bike. I'll also point out that vehicle cost does not equate to likelihood of getting service manual... just the opposite. Do high-end car manufacturers provide detailed service manuals to owners at purchase? They expect them to take the car to the dealer, as does Zero. More on that topic in the next paragraph. Bottom line here is that older ICE converts who do most service themselves may not be Zero's target demographic. Perhaps Zero expects most owners to take it to a dealer when they have problems?...

For Zero to be successful (which we all want, I hope), their dealership network must be successful. It's hard enough for Zero to get dealerships to carry their product (this includes sales and service). If Zero started to enable all owners to fix bikes themselves, there is less incentive to attract new dealers... and they might also lose some current dealers. Not good. It's important to think about the big picture here, and what is most important for Zero to be successful. Please do not vilify Zero on Internet forums (or in word-of-mouth discussions) because they have made a business decision that may be unpopular to you. There might be long-term strategies for these business decisions that we may not be aware of, above and beyond what has been discussed here.

Last thing I want to mention is that Zero is busy, very busy. I have noticed that my e-mails to Aaron (& others at Zero) are going unanswered. This is most likely a reflection of their workload/expansion, trying to ship high quality product to meet demand. I wouldn't be surprised if Aaron gets hundreds (or thousands) of e-mails every day. Although it has been nice to have direct contact/response from Zero's Director of Customer Experience, we cannot expect this to continue as Zero expands. Suggestions and feedback may need to start going through their customer service representatives, or the old fashioned methods of snail mail or phone calls. Better yet, if you live close enough to Zero's factory, pay them a visit and discuss your concerns. If you talk to the right person (or enough people) at Zero, frustrated owners on this thread/forum may gain a different perspective on this situation.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 03:23:07 AM »

Hmmm

I'm not the demographic they sell to....

Live close...... In Santa cruz

They are trying to move away from individuals being at the factory from what it seems, they want me to go to service ~2 hrs away vs before right at the factory. They have always been very fair, but I don't necessarily like how every email comes from a new person there.

I will post more detail later.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 03:26:39 AM by Cortezdtv »
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 04:12:27 AM »

Sorry, jheth, gotta call you on a couple of points here:

Re this that you've said:
-  If your closest dealer is 3-4 hours away, that is also part of the deal you sign up for if you purchase a vehicle from a very small and still expanding manufacturer -

but in the "early" days (ie when we bought our Zero, coming up on 2 years ago this month) -  Zero would work with owners rather than dealers to try to resolve problems if there was no dealership in the state where the owner lived. That was our case, and Zero worked with me to sort out some of the problems we've had under warranty. Zero now moved away from that, and that change is definitely NOT the deal that I signed up for.....

Re the comments that the 2013+ products are more reliable, perhaps so. But look on Cycletrader & you'll find 2012 Zeros, new, still for sale at dealers. Maybe Zero should be pulling them from sale?

And you seem to be agreeing that an "early adopter" is an owner-as-beta-tester. One of several reasons I waited until 2012 to buy a Zero was that I thought I was buying something that had enough road experience to not be an early adopter. Particularly as Zero were selling (in some cases, in big numbers) to police fleets, I was under the (clearly incorrect) impression I was getting something for which the bugs had been sorted. Frankly, if Zero had suggested that I was an early adopter and that "All early adopters should understand and accept this risk when they buy in" I'd never have considered buying a Zero.

I'm not even going to touch the target demographic thing.

And if Zero are too busy, maybe they need to employ more workers dealing with parts supply / warranty work, and keep decent inventory of their now out-of-date (ie 3 year old) models?

Peter

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 04:34:16 AM »

I would love a service manual. I spent easily two weeks making a basic level wiring diagram for my bike because I felt it necessary. If I had torque settings per screw I could check them on occasion like I do with my gas bike.

I guess you could go through a couple stock bikes and loosen the screws with a torque wrench and mark the values when doing it.

My big thing is I don't trust anyone to work on my bikes but me. I have heard many stories of people going to the local dealers and having them mess their bikes up. Also from reading the posts here it seems it can take months for dealers to even get parts let alone fix a bikes issue.

Hell, I would be willing to pay $1k or a class to certify me to repair the bike just to get access to the service manual. This focusing on the electrical equipment and not the mechanical which I am already familiar with.

I don't see the availability for these any time soon. I will continue to rely on the experience here and add to it when I can.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 05:44:31 AM »

Here's an example where service manual type information helped me on my new SR:

FIRST SCENARIO:
OK, I bought it, I ride down I-4, 80mph eats up my battery, I get lost, I stop at a rest stop.

Lots of swearing and range terror. I figure out where I am and the next exit home.

I go to start the bike. It won't start. Error 0045. Did I just break my brand new bike somehow?

I spend 20 minutes trying to figure it out. I have the old manual PDF on my phone and it DOES NOT LIST THE ERROR CODES.

Finally I decide to get it towed. I flip up the kickstand to move the bike, and error goes away! 0045 is kickstand down!

So I spend another 20 minutes swearing at it YOU GODD****D N*****LLOVING MOTHERF******G WORTHLESS NO GOOD PIECE OF S**T!

SECOND SCENARIO:
I'm in the garage and I bolt on my new smartphone mount. I go to ride to lunch. It won't start. Error 0044.

HOWEVER, this time I have the new owner's manual PDF on my phone and it DOES list the error codes. So I look up the error code and it's "kill switch disable"

Hm. Must have bumped the switch putting on the mount. Flip the switch back. Ride to lunch.

See a difference there? See what a small piece of information can do for you?

I AM NOT looking for "how to build your own Zero" - I am looking for "how to change the belt", and "how to safely change the brake fluid without pissing off the ABS" and "how to figure out minor issues that don't need to involve the dealer" and "how to determine when 'it's borked' and needs to go to the dealer"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:04:03 AM by CrashCash »
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 05:58:06 AM »

That's what the dealers are for. They are trained and equipped to perform the service

NO, THEY ARE NOT. I can't speak for anyone else, BUT MY DEALER HAS NO CLUE.

The "Zero guy" at my dealer has left, and nobody else even knows how to download the logs.

Every time I talk to them, they're "Called Zero. Waiting to hear back."

They can't do the most basic service tasks without Zero on the phone stepping them through.

Now when I bought the bike, they had "Curt" who seemed to know his shit. However, he's gone and apparently that means I'm fucked on getting my SR fixed.

So you're OK with this situation?

I'm not.

If your closest dealer is 3-4 hours away, that is also part of the deal you sign up for if you purchase a vehicle from a very small and still expanding manufacturer. It's not fair to compare Zero to Honda, BMW, Ducati, etc. They are at a very different stage in their company lifecycle, making a very different product.

No. If I buy a Moto-Guzzi, I understand that the nearest dealer is 95 miles away. However, I also get a service manual where I can do basic tasks and debugging without having to drag it to the dealer every other Saturday.

Do high-end car manufacturers provide detailed service manuals to owners at purchase? They expect them to take the car to the dealer, as does Zero.

I do not have a car for this specific reason. I have motorcycles that I can work on myself.

My Camaro tried to kill me when the dealer tech would not replace a wheel sensor. I looked at the OBD-II when it started randomly locking the brakes and it said "right front wheel sensor is bad-replace it"

I went to the dealer and said "please replace the right front wheel sensor"

Tech said "fuck you, I will not"

On the way home, it rained, the wheels locked, I spun out and ate Aramco going 60mph backward.

I looked at the wreckage and said "never again will I depend on a dealer tech"

Unfortunately I was blinded by the fun & joy of test riding it, and I bought my Zero without insisting on a service manual as I usually do.

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 06:03:35 AM »

Please do not vilify Zero on Internet forums (or in word-of-mouth discussions) because they have made a business decision that may be unpopular to you. There might be long-term strategies for these business decisions that we may not be aware of, above and beyond what has been discussed here.

I honestly am starting to think I made a mistake buying one.

I feel it would be dishonest to not inform people of the cons as well as the pros that I have experienced owning the bike.

I am willing to cut Zero slack so far because they are so very small and so very busy, and their product line changes drastically every 12 months.

However, I also believe this is a reason I should have held off buying one. And so should other people, if they feel they should be able to do more than drag the bike to the dealer for every small hiccup.

CrashCash

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 08:09:35 AM »

Another problem is taking it to the dealer costs money. A lot of money.

If it can't get there under its own power, I've got to pay for a tow truck.

If a $100-$150 service manual tells me I can fix the bike by turning it off and hitting reset, it's paid for itself right there.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 08:53:55 AM »

I had my encoder get water logged and it was causing all sorts of trouble. I seriously thought I was going to have to tow the bike. I pushed through it and drove it back home 4 miles with no clue what was going on.

Thankfully EC was the previous owner of my bike and after talking to him a bit we both decided it would be best to check the encoder or water. Sure enough ... the wires were not sealed on the inside of the now exposed motor and it was causing my issues.

Took me less than an hour to fix and I haven't had trouble since. Had I had a really good service manual for diagnosis I would have been able to figure this out on my own. Thankfully, and I am really thankful, I had EC to turn to for help fixing his previous baby.

I now experience another issue I am slowly tracking down the cause of when it rains. I have been isolating parts of the bike to figure out where water is causing an issue and getting closer to a solution.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2015, 09:10:25 PM »

I would love a service manual. I spent easily two weeks making a basic level wiring diagram for my bike because I felt it necessary. If I had torque settings per screw I could check them on occasion like I do with my gas bike.

I guess you could go through a couple stock bikes and loosen the screws with a torque wrench and mark the values when doing it.

My big thing is I don't trust anyone to work on my bikes but me. I have heard many stories of people going to the local dealers and having them mess their bikes up. Also from reading the posts here it seems it can take months for dealers to even get parts let alone fix a bikes issue.

Hell, I would be willing to pay $1k or a class to certify me to repair the bike just to get access to the service manual. This focusing on the electrical equipment and not the mechanical which I am already familiar with.

I don't see the availability for these any time soon. I will continue to rely on the experience here and add to it when I can.

Do NOT try to determine torque values from loosening fasteners. That will give you a much higher torque than is proper for the part.  This is due to static friction and/possibly the fastener having thread locking compound when assembled (something BMW does a lot of). The latest type of torque value recommendations call for tightening the fastener to a certain value, then rotating the wrench a specified number of degrees (such as an additional 90 degrees of rotation after reaching the specified torque).  I gather this is designed to stretch the fastener a certain amount and most of these type of fasteners are not designed to be reusable. This makes it even tougher for the home mechanic to work on their own vehicle (if you want to perform the work correctly). But it is also another argument for providing (at least) a chassis service and repair manual, especially when the vehicle dealers are few and far between - and may not have a service technician any more knowledgeable than some of us old timers who learned stuff the hard way (by breaking things).

I might also add that most motorcycle dealerships do not pay their technicians very much, compared with auto dealerships and similar businesses.  So they tend to have less formal education than you might think and depend upon OJT for most of their knowledge.  Also, many move around from job to job as their finances and personal lives change and take their accumulated knowledge with them.

Until the technology stabilizes and matures, I think early adopters will continue to have to perform at least some tasks on their vehicles and a service manual would make that job much easier.  But I have no idea how to address product liability issues.  It seems like in the U.S. every possible thing that can go wrong is worth a multimillion dollar lawsuit. If you want an insurance company to insure your company against such things, they probably call the shots when it comes to facilitating an owner working on their vehicle. It could be that Zero might wish to provide owners with a service manual, but can not do so if they want product liability insurance. And insurance companies are not noted for taking risks.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2015, 12:42:43 AM »

Looks like the Poll sums it up pretty well... 25 yes and 0 no.
(see attachment because I don't know how to insert a picture on this forum)

As a former Zero support tech I worked hard to try to build user help guides. Workload tended to get in the way.
I would like to help out more/still but NDA agreements prevent me from doing so. Shame that it's that way.

I would recommend anyone/everyone who took the time to reply to the poll follow up with direct contact with the company.
Although there is some monitoring of this forum your best opportunity for a response or follow up is to contact the company directly.
The Zero "Contact Us" option on their main page offers several ways to get in touch. (http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/contact.php)

The Facebook Zero Owners Group would be a good option (for those that "do" Facebook)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/zmcowners/

Good Luck.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2015, 01:02:08 AM »

26 now.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »

While I am certainly in favor of having some kind of access to a service manual, and it's good to count heads, the likelihood of someone saying "no" to this poll is nil. :) Whereas we've already listed for Zero their [perceived] downsides in providing one.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4