• April 27, 2024, 03:08:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Should Zero have a Repair / Service  Manual Available?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Repair / Service Manual.  (Read 4574 times)

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Repair / Service Manual.
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2015, 03:48:34 AM »

Well I voted yes in the poll, but I would understand if Zero said no for a variety of reasons (liability, NDA's etc)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 07:08:17 AM »

FYI, the Alta (formerly BRD/Redshift) is getting a service manual.

I know this because I met Len Nelson of cyclepedia.com at an I-4 rest stop when he ran over to see my new SR. He was excited, as it was the first Zero he'd seen.

He had an Alta bike on a trailer that he had been given so he could write a service/troubleshooting/repair manual for it.

I don't know when it'll be out, but this was in January, and it takes more than 6 months to write a manual.

I just found his card in my wallet again, ten minutes ago. I'd forgotten about it.

So being an electric motorcycle and having a service manual are not mutually exclusive.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2016, 03:26:06 PM »

I got a peak at Zero's service manual a few weeks ago. We used it to find the part I needed to order. It looks very professional at a glance.

I doubt there would be much effort involved in making it available to customers as a pdf or a folder containing the web browser files.

As others have said, a disclaimer should cover them.

I'm speculating here, but maybe Zero don't want to make it too easy for Chinese manufacturers to copy their designs? However, anyone attempting to do that would surely just buy a bike and take it apart?

I can't think of any other reasons not to publish it.  If they didn't mind going to a little bit of effort, it could be made available via a customer portal. Easier just to provide an open link on the main website though.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »

Perhaps Zero wants to provide as much after-sales income for their dealers as they can. I believe most motorcycle dealers make the majority of their business profit performing servicing on vehicles that they had sold. (At least it sure seems that way for BMW motorcycle dealers.  ::) ) So maybe Zero feels that if they made it easy for their customers to work on their own bikes they wouldn't return to the retail dealer for such service, thereby depriving the dealers of a substantial chunk of after-sales income.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]