• April 29, 2024, 02:40:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 2015 SR Front Wheel Vibration  (Read 4344 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: 2015 SR Front Wheel Vibration, Rear Wheel Noise While Braking
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 08:35:57 PM »

Some old BMW air-head motorcycles (no doubt using asbestos brake shoes) used to squeal loudly, too. There were a number of solutions used, such as beveling the edges of the brake shoes, but I think the ultimate solution was the brake manufacturers finding brake shoe (or pad) materials that didn't squeal when applied against the brake drum/disc materials used by brake manufacturers in those days. 

Auto accessory stores have anti-squeal compounds that can be applied to the backside of brake pads, which are supposed to dampen the squeal.  My guess is that the noise is coming from the all-metallic brake pads that are currently being used by most brake manufacturers when they are lightly rubbing against the disc. It could also be the result of the brake pad picking up some foreign material, which has lodged in the surface of the pad.

I have had success in not experiencing this noise by cleaning my disc and brake caliper with a sponge and soapy water, washing off with a light stream of water from a garden hose, and then drying with a towel and compressed air.  I do this every time I wash my bikes and have not experienced any brake noise since I have been keeping the brake systems clean. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 09:16:03 PM »

Ah, for the old days of good old-fashioned asbestos.   ::)

Never *wheeze* did me any  *cough* harm...
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

teddillard

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 12:20:41 AM »

Ah, for the old days of good old-fashioned asbestos.   ::)

Never *wheeze* did me any  *cough* harm...

nor I. 

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »

Problem is you can hear the problem much more on electric bikes due to the lack of exhaust noise.
This makes sense - and the scraping noise I can live with.

As far as the shaking from the front - the latest news:

Neither Zero nor the dealership knows what the cause is, so Zero shipped a new wheel and disc rotor to see if that fixes it. I'll be taking the bike to the dealership for the service - either this Saturday, or next - as soon as I can.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »

I first noticed this recently - with earplugs and a helmet on, it sounded more like water sloshing around than a scrape.  Eventually, I noticed it was connected to the rear brake, which I often don't use much of (or sometime any of).  A test ride without anything interfering with my hearing revealed is was a kind of grindy/scrapy noise, but not like the crazy grinding sound you get when your pads are no longer pads, but pieces of steel. More use of the rear brake seemed to make it go away.  Maybe just a touch of rust build-up?  I assume it'll be back. 

I have also heard the sloshing sound when applying the rear brake but I thought it sounded too crazy to bring up here. It's the weirdest noise. Any new ideas on what is causing it?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:52:02 AM by MichaelJohn »
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:27 AM »

Problem is you can hear the problem much more on electric bikes due to the lack of exhaust noise.
This makes sense - and the scraping noise I can live with.

As far as the shaking from the front - the latest news:

Neither Zero nor the dealership knows what the cause is, so Zero shipped a new wheel and disc rotor to see if that fixes it. I'll be taking the bike to the dealership for the service - either this Saturday, or next - as soon as I can.
Hey Oobflyer, I think you got your SR at Contra Costa Powersports didn't you? Let me know when you will be there and if I'm free I'll stop by and say hello. I live just a few miles from the dealership.
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 04:31:27 PM »

I've got all these issues one '14. I've tried almost everything possible, except overhauling the calipers, which I'll do. I'm with all of you though - it's annoying disappointing not what I expected but ultimately, they work well, especially under hard braking. That's the main thing.

Farfle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 12:46:20 PM »

My '15 DS has the horrible sounding rear brake too. its only under 5-10mph and It was fine for the first 400mi or so, but after a hard section of twisties that warmed things up alot, it started making the grindy/squealy/squeaky noise too. It goes away if you really warm them up, but comes right back when they cool off.  I am thinking they are glazed. Ill pull mine, and take an orbital sander with some 80- grit to the rotor, and resurface the pads too to let them re-wear in. I will update when I do it.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 03:27:04 AM »

My '15 DS has the horrible sounding rear brake too

The more I hear that others are experiencing this - the more I think it's normal. I think Justin is right - on a gas bike you don't hear the brakes scraping because the sound of the motor & exhaust mask it.

As far as the front wheel vibration on my 2015 SR... they replaced the entire front wheel - rim/tire/brake disc... and it didn't fix it. It seemed improved a bit when I rode it around the dealership, but by the time I got home (70 mile ride) the front end was vibrating and shaking back and forth again each time I slowed down using the front brake. As I mentioned before it only happens below 20 MPH, so it's not an issue on the freeway, just every time I come to a stop, or slow below 20 MPH.

I'm not one to whine and complain usually, but I spent a lot of money on this thing. I'll call the dealership again tomorrow to see what the next step might be.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:55 AM »

Hey Oobflyer, I think you got your SR at Contra Costa Powersports didn't you? Let me know when you will be there and if I'm free I'll stop by and say hello. I live just a few miles from the dealership.

Yes, that's where I got the bike - and that's where I've been spending my Saturdays ever since... if/when I head back that way I'll send you a P.M.

But, interestingly - Zero JUST added a new dealership in Elk Grove (Elk Grove Power Sports), which is 25 miles from my house, instead of 70. I plan to call both dealerships to see if I can take my bike to the new dealership in the future.

What I found when I bought my Zero in February in Concord was that the salesmen and service techs were scheduled for orientation and training about the bikes in March. No offense intended towards them, but they literally knew nothing about the bikes when they first started selling them in January.  I imagine the same is true for the new dealership in Elk Grove. When I call them I will ask the manager there when they are scheduled for their training and orientation before I bring my bike there.

hippiesparx

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 05:48:32 AM »

My rear wheel used to squeal like a piggy below 15km/h - super embarrassing at the lights etc.
After about 5000km the squeal went away.
2014 Zero S 2014 CFMoto 650TK
Fonzarelli Electric Moto dealer

McRat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2015, 05:03:40 AM »

Probably not applicable, but this applies to performance disc brake systems in general.

Sometimes brake noise can be attenuated by bedding the brakes when they are fresh.  This is normally done for competition purposes.
The goal is to get the brake pads to deposit a thin layer of compound on the rotor without getting rotor excessively hot.

Different mfr's suggest different methods.  I normally go from 60mph to 10mph with medium pressure, not enough for ABS to vibrate, but a fairly aggressive application.  Do this about 30 times, never coming to a complete stop.  When they start to bed, you will feel the brakes getting spongy.  Hard to describe, but it will feel like the brakes need to be bled.  Then cruise easy for 5 miles using the brakes lightly or not at all before parking.  Let them cool completely.

While this often decreases brake noise, the real goal is to get maximum braking power.  Next time you ride, you will notice the difference.

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2015, 07:06:13 AM »

I have also heard the sloshing sound when applying the rear brake but I thought it sounded too crazy to bring up here. It's the weirdest noise. Any new ideas on what is causing it?
Wow!  Lots of good info since I last checked in - gotta make sure I tick the 'notify me' option...

I don't know that we need any new ideas - there's no doubt that in my case the 'sloshing water' was actually the rear brake making odd sounds.  It still does it from time to time, but it doesn't weird me out anymore.  It's not too loud or annoying, just very strange.

To be clear (for the thread's sake) the rear brake wasn't my 'annoying' brake.  It was the front, and I'm not talking about a little scraping, I'm talking about full-on rotor-ringing (or wringing) squeal that makes people 50 feet away sit up and take notice.  It doesn't happen on every stop.

Richard - the dealer did try the beveling trick you mention on my 600mile service.  It worked for a few days, but I don't want to keep grinding them off :).  I've been meaning to try the compound you put on the back of the pads - not the greasy stuff - the stuff that dries.  I just haven't got a round tuit, yet.  The idea about washing the bike (and brakes) is intriguing... People actually do that?  I get caught in the rain enough that I thought that was all you had to do! ;)

More seriously, lately, I haven't had much grief from my brakes.  The squeaking and scraping seems to be dying down (I'm at 2200 miles now.  I think.)

I have, on the other hand, gone through three rounds of tightening my head bearings (a little tighter, each time, cautiously)  That has helped with the other problem I mentioned toward the front of this thread.  It's a bit of a PITA, without a center-stand, but I've kinda developed a system.  About the time I perfect the system, I'll probably get it adjusted well enough that I won't need the system, and I can give it away. :D

Most recently, I've developed a fresh, new, set of problems.  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4567.msg30136#msg30136 - it's a bit off-topic for this thread.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:14:53 AM by JasonS »
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »

My YZF-750 used to have that sort of rear brake squeal, in my case it was caused by a tight caliper piston not moving fully back when the brakes were depressed. Have you tried greasing the piston with copper brake grease?. Or popping it, cleaning it up, and re-assembling the brake (sod of a job I know)

This sort of brake squeal is fairly common and shows up now and again, try searching around generic bike forums as well as here, as no doubt you'll find a few people who have had the same problem.

Anyway, this sort of brake rubbing is worth fixing, as in extreme circumstances the friction can heat up the caliper and oil and cause the brake to start to lock on.
Not fatal, but VERY annoying, in that sitting-at-the-side-of-the-road-waiting-for-your-brakes-to-cool-so-you-can-then-ride-slowly-home-to-try-and-fix-the-stupid-things sort of way.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 09:04:18 PM »

I was visiting the local auto accessory store yesterday and noticed several liquid compounds on the shelf that were said to prevent brake squeal of auto disc brakes.  I have no idea how they work or if they do, but they were pretty cheap and are probably worth a look-see.  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: 1 [2] 3