• April 28, 2024, 12:18:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero-S Motor upgrade spotted in the Wild  (Read 2713 times)

flexydude

• View Profile
Re: Zero-S Motor upgrade spotted in the Wild
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 05:58:01 AM »

just picked up my 2012 with new motor. It runs ok, actually hauls ass, but it makes an ungodly horrible high pitch whine accelerating from about 5 mph up to 20, and at 17 mph it sounds like a falling bomb. Deceleration sucks, it's not smooth like the old motor, it stutters and surges like i'm pumping the brakes, kinda freaky.  I'll be checking range his week to see if it changed.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »

probably will need a few firmware updates to iron out the bugs. Your still testing a prototype.
Just keep letting zero / dealers know your issues with new motor.

mikeisted

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 01:31:42 PM »

Woke - I'm disappointed that you were unable to get a free replacement for a motor with so few miles on the clock.  I had hoped the replacement of my battery marked a new determination to tackle these issues more amicably.

Please keep us in touch with your experience of the new motor and any firmware upgrades etc.

woke

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 11:12:09 PM »

Flexydude: great to hear that you finally got it back.  Were you able to get it up to a good speed?  I too noted the loud whine from the motor at lower speeds, but didn't have any problems with the regen.
I was told that a software update was done with the new motor. We'll see if it needs bug fixes.

Mike: thanks, they did seal the battery pack for me.

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »

just picked up my 2012 ... Deceleration sucks, it's not smooth like the old motor, it stutters and surges like i'm pumping the brakes, kinda freaky.  I'll be checking range his week to see if it changed.
The regen braking will often surge like that when the bike is fully charged.  Once the battery is run down to the point where regen ceases to make it "full", that should stop!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

flexydude

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 01:55:50 AM »

I didn't think about that, the roads around here are so crappy I don''t notice it anymore anyway.

woke

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2015, 03:10:42 AM »

I have received some feedback on the new motor on my 2012 S, which is said to be based on the 2014 75-7 design:
Part #: 30-08006
Peak torque: 50 ft-lbs
Peak power: 25kw (33hp) @3600 rpm
Range: Unchanged

It is still working fine for me, but I haven't seen the performance increase cited above.  I still haven't got it over 72mph, unlike the original motor, which didn't have any problem getting over 80 and 85mph.  Neither Zero nor my dealer have offered any explanations.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Zero-S Motor upgrade spotted in the Wild
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 07:03:12 PM »

Are you seeing a hard cutoff at 72 mph, or does the bike acceleration simply slow gradually as you approach 72 mph?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:04:48 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

woke

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 09:47:53 PM »

I have asked my self the same question and I would say it is somewhere between the two.  Past 60 mph, it seems to still be accelerating well, but approaching 67 and 68 mph, it appears to taper off quite quickly.  The s/w was updated along with the motor, so it could be limited somehow, either intentionally or unintentionally.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 12:58:58 AM »

OK guys here is fresh news from my experience with the 2013 75-7 motor on my 2012 S:

All the above reported difference with the upgrade to teh 2013 motor are true:

-higher pitch noise: true, it sound like the 2013 and i dont care about that. I have found it better help pedestrian to know your presence witch help in teh traffic in city.

- Higher Torque: True: the motor make me feel about 1.5 to 2  times more torque

- more restriction when decelerating because the sproket ratio is higher than on the 2013 bike. So the motor spin faster for the same speed.

- slower: yes it is slower and i can't reach more than 130km/h with it. That motor is lower "kv" ( rpm per volt) so the 2012 battery of 65V  just can't make it to spin as fast as on teh 2013 that is using 102V battery. So the controller take the help of the Field weakening ( timing advance) to "modify" the kv of the motor to make it continu increasing speed when the bemf is equal to the battery voltage. this make the motor to spin faster than it shold but at a cost of inneficency above 100km/h on the stock 28T. Mine overheat above 100kmh during warm temperature and overheat above 110kmh in cold weather.

The motor spin faster for the same bike speed beause on teh 2012 the rear pulley/sproket is bigger.

one way to solve the speed problem might to replace the stock 28T for a 30T witch i consider doing to get about 6% higher speed witch would give me just enough speed for cruising on the highway ( 106 to 116kmh) without overheat problem... or i could just replace the rear pulley/sproket for the smaller one but i wold need to buy it and pay for a new sorter Gate belt..  wictch wold cost about 200$ total.

Seriously that 75-7 motor is a way best motor than the Me0913 and the upgrade you had on the 2012 for 900GBP is fair. That 75-7 motor cost 1200$.

Even if you want a original ME0913 motor that have a glitch problem solved i have one. it's the one that i got back from Zero repair and it worked very well for the last 5000km i did with it, no more glitch.. even in the rain! I would be glad to exchange it to your 75-7 if you witch too.. I preffer the 75-7 motor.

Doc

Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
Pages: 1 [2]