• April 28, 2024, 03:46:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Buying the DS 9.4 kWh and upgrade to 12.5kWh?  (Read 1440 times)

frode

• View Profile
Buying the DS 9.4 kWh and upgrade to 12.5kWh?
« on: April 15, 2015, 05:50:45 PM »

Hello.

I have almost decided to get myself a Zero DS, but I am not sure if I should get the 9.4 kWh model or the 12.5. I asked the reseller here in Norway if it is possible to upgrade the 9.4 to 12.5 later and they said no.
Is this really true? As far as I can tell everything is identical except for the battery pack.

At this point the 9.4 kWh model is enough for my daily commuting (~40 km pr day) and 12.5 kWh is not enough for touring in Norway anyway. So I can save roughly $2800 by getting the 9.4 kWh model.
But the distance I commute may change in the future so it would be nice to have the option to upgrade the battery pack.

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards,
Frode

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Buying the DS 9.4 kWh and upgrade to 12.5kWh?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »

In theory the power tank can be added to either the 9.4 or 12.5 bike, which will almost bring you to 11 kWh.

Keep in mind that the power tank is more expensive than simply upgrading to the 12.5 at the start, has less capacity, weighs more, has the weight up higher and loses the storage tank, and I THINK only has a 1 year accessory warranty if purchased after the initial sale.

It is technically possible to either swap battery monoliths or add a fourth module internally to change a 9.4 to a 12.5, after updating the BMS. But your dealer may not be able to do it.

All told, your best bet is probably to get the 12.5 if you think you will need it, or if you think it is unlikely then get the 9.4 and consider trading it in later for a used 12.5 if your needs change.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:07 PM »

Also, the 12.5 model should have a higher resale value in the future, which would return some of your initial expense when you trade up or sell the bike in the future.  :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

frode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:58:02 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

So I guess upgrading the internal battery pack is possible in theory but not necessarily in practice.

About the resale value, I am not sure if matters a lot if the battery technology improves a lot anyway...
The difference between 9.4 and 12.5 might be marginal compared to the capacity of the batteries we will see in a few years? (I really don't know  :) )

Best regards,
Frode

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 10:02:34 PM »

The consensus when I bought my 2012 Zero was to get the biggest battery you could afford, so I did. But I never get anywhere close to using all the battery on my ZF9 so could have had a lighter faster bike and saved thousands. It depends how confident you are that the smaller battery will be enough.

When selling a used electric bike you will lose so much money anyway that resale value doesn't really need to factor.

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:36:41 PM »

I personally would go with the bigger battery. I would rather have too much than not enough. When spending that much money on something it pays to go all in. That way if down the line you need even more you can get the power tank added. I debated with myself on this too, but with the S 9.4 and SR which only comes in 12.5 and decided that for me the SR will be the way to go. I can get more distance and more power so why not.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

NanoMech

• Head Wrangler
  • Portola Valley, California
    • View Profile
    • Angler Wranglers Demolition Co., est 1895
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:47:15 AM »

My wife and I have 2 of the 2014 DS models, and I really do notice a big difference in handling, due to the powertank on my bike. The battery does noticeably raise the center of gravity, encouraging oversteer. I've had many bikes, and my previous HD XR1200 was nearly 150 lbs heavier, but did not have the steering tendency that even the Zero tech at Mission Motors in SF remarked upon. I'm adapting to it, of course, and am still occasionally surprised at the effort to correct steering in twisting mountain roads. But, it's electric, and the powertank option allows me to ride as far as my wife on her all-up weight of 100# less.

I'll opt for the powertank on my next 2016 DSR purchase, since I enjoy random detours on my pleasure riding every few weeks.
2014 Zero DS "Wrangler", PowerTank, 25T drive sprocket: www.AnglerWranglers.com

frode

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »

So guess most of you would go for the 12.5 model. For me I am not sure if I can justify the extra money for the 12.5. Due to kids and all kinds activities my motorized biking is limited to commuting at the moment for which the 9.4 is sufficient.

Even though I am going to by a S I like the white plastic on the DS better. The yellow plastic is ugly in my opinion ;)

BTW: I had a test spin on a SR this Saturday and it was fun! :D

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 04:28:27 AM »

I chose the FX because of the light weight.
I have a 2013, so, less than half the capacity
of the newer S or SR. Have always been  speed
freak, but, with zero to sixty times faster than
all but the SR, and 100 to 200 less pounds
weight, for me, the FX is just more fun.
If I want to go farther, I just pull one
of the ICE bikes from the back garage.
Pages: [1]