• April 27, 2024, 03:55:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I'm taking the plunge!  (Read 2504 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: I'm taking the plunge!
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2015, 10:09:01 PM »

The coldest I have ever done is 0C but that's likely to change this winter. Last winter I had a vehicle to fall back on and it was a lease so my philosophy was use it while you have it.

This winter no car. Just my 2014 Zero S equipped as follows:
Zero Windscreen
Barkbusters handgaurds
Zero heated seat
Oxford heaterz hand grips
Gerbing 12V EX Heated Gloves
Gerbing 12V Heated Socks
Gerbing 12V Permanent Dual Temp Controller
Gerbing 12V Hybrid Heated Insoles
Gerbing 12V EX Heated Jacket
Gerbing 12V EX Heated Pants

All the Gerbing gear is new purchased from Revzilla on sale for black Friday. I just installed the temp controller for all the Gerbing gear over the weekend.

It's not all that cold yet...about 4C this morning... the ride was toasty!

The only thing that will stop me from ridding this winter will be snow or ice (or possibility of it). In that case it will be light rail/bus or Uber or car rental (for extended periods of snow/ice).

Here's to hoping for a mild winter!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

But how many hours do you spend plugging yourself in in the morning before getting on the bike? I thought putting on and taking off waterproofs took long enough.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2015, 06:43:24 AM »

But how many hours do you spend plugging yourself in in the morning before getting on the bike? I thought putting on and taking off waterproofs took long enough.

About an extra 1 second per connection. The jacket has built in connections for gloves and pants. The pants have a built in connection for socks/insoles. I don't have a splitter to run socks and insoles simultaneously and probably won't buy one.

So the routine is:

1. Put on pants
2. Put on shoes and connect shoes to the pant leg connectors.
3. Put on balaclava (not heated but wind proof...mostly to cover neck and keep air from getting up into helmet)
4. Put on jacket and connect jacket to pants.
5. Connect gloves to connectors on the arms of jacket but then don't put the gloves on...just leave them hanging by the cable.
6. Put on helmet.
7. Walk outside and plug heated gear into bike after disconnecting bike charger (I have two connectors for this so that I can control temps separately but it could be done with just one).
8. Put on gloves and ride away [emoji1]

I have the connectors on the bike feed out where the seat meets the tank right next to my crotch and right next to where the cables feed out from the waistline of the jacket.

In all I would say that it takes less than 10 seconds more than if I was putting on full rain gear (booties, jacket, pants gloves) or just full gear but without heat. So I trade some inconvenience in exchange for a boatload of money.

If you want to save some money ride electric motorcycle instead of driving ICE car whenever you can. But in that case you still have auto insurance and car payments and maintenance (oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, tires etc.).  I could get a really old cheap car which would eliminate payments (or at least lower them) and reduce insurance costs but stuff breaks on old cheap cars and that costs money too. Plus I would still have all the scheduled maintenance.

The winters in STL are short and relatively mild. We do get snow but it rarely lasts for too long.  If I ride 330 days a year (or more) and only drive 35 days a year then owning a car is an expensive convenience. Not to mention it would be parked on the street in front of my apartment and would need to be moved twice a month to avoid tickets when the street cleaners come around (which I would always forget to do before my lease ended). It costs me about $800-$1000 to rent a brand new car for 35 days which is about equal to one month's lease plus insurance (I had a fully loaded Nissan Murano SUV).  A more basic vehicle it might be 2-4 months of payments plus insurance.

It took me a long time to situate myself to the point where I was ready to ditch the car altogether. I haven't owned a car since April of this year and haven't regretted it yet but the true test is just starting now that temps are diving.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 12:16:12 AM »

When do you take delivery?

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2015, 02:23:20 AM »

No idea. The bikes are supposed to arrive this week but the subsidy is going to hold everything up. Likely January sometime. It's down to the government more than zero and Streetbike at this stage.

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2015, 04:25:13 AM »

A frustrating wait then. At least your not missing out on any decent weather.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 04:53:19 AM »

You say that Tony, but it's been really quite mild for the time of year and not too wet. The forecast is rough for tomorrow though. I'm enjoying my VFR in the meantime and counting my lucky stars.  All that power is addictive and I wish I didn't have to choose one over the other. On my way home tonight I encountered a BMW driver who thought he had a quick motor. We were joining the start of the M1 together.  I was in the left lane and he obviously thought he was going to overtake me. I wasn't rushing, but you can tell when someone thinks they are going to put their foot down and make a show of it. When there's a guy who obviously has an over-inflated ego it is just so much fun to piss on their parade. I will miss that. I ride the VFR fast when it's safe to do so. To most road users it probably looks like I'm very cautious. Just occasionally an opportunity comes along to let it rip and those moments are priceless.

I have to try this electric motorcycle lark for real though. Tests rides and forum posts only go so far! Time will tell and my habit for airing my thoughts here will no doubt document the journey. I just hope the bloody thing doesn't break down! That will piss me off for sure...

buutvrij for life

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 02:46:29 AM »

After 3 weeks of ownership, my onboard charger (DS) died. After owning 4 different Honda motorcycle's in a row without a singe problem, I said to myself "you know something like this was gonna happen"...

And yes, after 4000 something rpm, the VFR takes off like a mad bull...
pre-owned: Suzuki Intruder, Suzuki GSX-R750, Honda Fireblade '05, Honda Fireblade '09, Honda VFR1200F, Honda Fury 1300 CXA, Govecs Go! 1.2S, Zero DS 12.5, Honda NC750 X DCT, now Triumph Bonneville T120

Worksoptony

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2015, 03:04:07 AM »

There must be something Zen like, riding the Zero. I feel so relaxed on the bike. Perhaps it's the lack of vibration or noise. Maybe it's the understated way in which it accelerates. Standing to national speed limit without any drama. On the roads I ride, if someone ones to drive like a knob, I move over and let them crack on. I know I'll pull alongside at the next junction or set of lights. I sometimes miss my BMW,  then other times not. For me the Zero has more advantages than disadvantages

Testpilot1

• Testpilot1 / Charlie Boorman '' Long Way Down ''
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2015, 04:11:31 AM »

Hi,I'm buying 1 of the Police DS's from Streetbike,and was told it was a cancelled South African Police order if that's helpfull......

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2015, 05:03:07 AM »

It is helpful, thanks. I think Cortez mentioned something about cut backs means the police agency pulled out.

I love the mad bull analogy.

I'm banking on the overall experience being better with the Zero and I'm willing to risk reliability. Now that's a sentence I might live to regret! I hope not though.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2015, 10:28:08 AM »

Congrats on the new toy.

I understand - I had three bikes in my garage for years. I didn't want to let go of any of them (I get attached to my toys), but after a few years of just taking the gas bike out of the garage to get a tune-up... and after a few years of paying insurance and registration for a vehicle that was just taking up space in the garage... I finally sold my gas bike. And - surprise - I don't miss it a bit.  You'll see  ;-)

2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 01:36:44 PM »

Thanks oobflyer, it's anecdotes like that which really make a difference. Your experience and that of many others here on this forum have kept me coming back and held my interest. Despite owning the best bike I've ever had with the VFR, I'm still looking forward to achieving my ambition of going electric.

I was watching one of Ben's videos on his road trip last night. He mentioned the desire he's had to abandon petrol for years since the Vetrix in 2007. I found that inspiring. There is so much politics around oil and a lot of it isn't pretty. We're all financing those politics at the fuel pump.

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »

since the Vetrix in 2007

Nice parallel - I too bought an '07 Vectrix. I still have it - it's my daily commuter/back-up bike - runs perfectly. But it only has a range of 50 miles/charge. My Zero is my distance bike :-)

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your new bike.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Pages: 1 2 [3]