• April 29, 2024, 01:01:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Have you seen this fuse?  (Read 1804 times)

Doug S

• View Profile
Have you seen this fuse?
« on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:48 AM »

My 2014 SR refused to charge as of two days ago, plugged into my outdoor outlet the way I have for over a year now. I get no click from the main contactor, no lights on the dash, no failure codes or any LEDs on the front of the battery pack. It's just plain dead.

My first guess was that there was a blown fuse on the line voltage side of the charger, and the owner's manual shows right where that is. But I had the same problem dgh853 had: it ain't where they said it was. There are only two fuses located where the owner's manual says there are four, and neither of them are the 20A line fuse, they're the two 4A high-voltage fuses to the step-down converter and the rest of the instrumentation.

dgh853 believed he'd found his problem, the high-current fuse on the charging side of the charger, but since I'm getting no lights, no contactor, no nothing, I'm pretty sure that's not my problem. (In addition, I can't believe I've blown a 100A fuse with just the onboard charger!). I'm still pretty convinced it's on the line-voltage side of the charger. I called my dealer, and they called Zero, but there wasn't much help to be had.

I'm attaching a picture of the (incorrect) diagram in Zero's User's Manual. Fuse #1 is the 20A line-voltage charger fuse that I'm looking for. Has anybody run across this fuse??
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
Re: Have you seen this fuse?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 08:58:33 AM »

Dont know if this helps but here are the fuses for the 2015 DS/S/SR

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:01:54 AM »

ABS Fuse 2015 DS/S/SR
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:05:10 AM by firepower »

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:07:13 AM »

High Voltage Fuese 2015 DS/S/SR

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »

Has this been resolved yet?

Biggest clue here is no lights on the BMS card (front of battery LED's).
Could be a dead BMS.

You should get LED action when the key is turned on or charger is plugged in. (there is a hibernate mode where the BMS lights may go dark)
Try resetting the BMS itself.
This is found under the rubber plug on front of battery, near the sight window.
It's a small microswitch. Press and hold for about 10 seconds.
The BMS "should" wake up and start displaying some LED activity.
If not... call your dealer as it's likely got a dead BMS card.

This is assuming you have found and tested the primary fuses noted above. Specifically # 1-3.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 09:54:01 PM »

It was resolved; bad charger, replaced under warranty. There is no fuse on the charger on this bike on the input side, only the output side. (Well, I suspect the charger has a fuse/PTC or something of the sort internally -- nobody with any brains connects to line voltage without some sort of protection).

Interestingly, the repair took an extra day because corporate was waiting for a new batch of redesigned chargers to be delivered. No indication of why they'd been redesigned, possibly just a routine or cost-reduction re-design, but it's also possible more people than me had problems.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 09:56:12 PM »

Thanks m0t0-ryder. I have those exact symptoms - no LEDs on the main battery and nothing happens when I hit reset, and sure enough, the dealer says I have a dead BMS, which they're replacing.

So there are *two* microswitches on the 2015, just above and to either side of the little data connector. Any clue which one does what? I pressed both of course. The inboard one does seem to be reset. Any idea what the other one does?

The power tank itself has just the one button directly above the data connector.
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

m0t0-ryder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »

They are both reset buttons. At least on 2014 and earlier.
One is a "hard" reset and the other a soft reset. They both "should" reset the BMS card.
I believe the hard reset will clear all logged data but not positive on this.
I also thought that 2015 BMS cards eliminated one of the reset buttons so one "may" do nothing.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »

Hmm...I thought I remembered someone saying that on the 2015, you have to press and hold BOTH of the buttons to do a reset? IIRC it may have been Burton?

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 07:27:39 PM »

Damn; my charger failed today too- same symptoms

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:37 AM »

Hmm...I thought I remembered someone saying that on the 2015, you have to press and hold BOTH of the buttons to do a reset? IIRC it may have been Burton?

I wasn't the first to make this comment but I might have mentioned it to someone in the past.
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2813.msg24590#msg24590

This is likely original source of information from what I could find in the search feature. The 2015 wire harness is different than the 2013 for sure. Though I am sure someone could take my 2013 diagram and give me a list of what wires are different to save time in making one for other models. If anyone is interested and has another model just let me know and I will tell you what I would require.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 06:26:46 PM »

Quick update on my situation; Zero have been great. Tricky working through a new distributor but direct call to the factory helped. I had an unrecognisable error code flashing at the front- red and green blinking. Tried some logical things, checking plugs etc, no change. Replacement charger coming soon I trust. Borrowed Thomas' spare DeltaQ and after disconnecting the original charger and switching ignition on and off the DQ fired up and has been mercifully pumping in its full 1kw for several hours. All codes now normal. So that's awesome. A spare charger might just be a sound investment given the low cost and I reckon every dealer should  have at least one for loan puts and testing, mandatory. I'm mobile again and will swap out the original ASAP
Pages: [1]