• April 28, 2024, 02:32:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Has anyone dyno-ed a bike yet?  (Read 2982 times)

Biff

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone dyno-ed a bike yet?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »

Human perception is force that the vehicle makes, which is directly related to torque. So, if torque was constant from 0 rpm, we would feel the exact same pull from 0 to 3200rpm.
What we don't perceive is power.

Not trying to put words in anybody's mouth, but I believe what Biff is saying is that we're all used to ICE vehicles, which have more rear-wheel torque at very low speeds because they have a comparatively low first gear, which multiplies the torque available from a dead start. We're all used to that feeling, from having driven ICE vehicles all our lives, so an EV with no gears and therefore constant torque available all the way down to 0 rpm can actually feel somewhat weak on bottom because it doesn't have any torque multiplication going on.

I'm pretty sure that's why Brammo put a gearbox on the Empulse. It just plays better to our pre-programmed feel for vehicle acceleration.

Yes, that is what I am proposing, I also think that dropping the clutch to give a sudden jolt at 0mph in an ICE vehicle also sets our expectations for "quick" acceleration.

I know 2 tings for fact ..

1) prettymuch everyone who rides a modern Zero says "it feels slow below 20mph, but then above that it really pulls hard"
2) the torque (and hence acceleration neglecting air resistance) from around 400RPM (7mph) up to 3000rpm 50mph is pretty-much constant, Instrumentation from Motor Speed, GPS, accelerometers and dynamometer all agree on that, the dyno charts show that there is about a 7% increase in torque between around 40 and 60mph (depending on model)

everything else I say on the subject is just theory, and I try and present it as such.

-ryan

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:05 PM »

I have started contacting places with bike dynos in my area.  I only called one so far and it was a HD dealer.   They said they will not dyno anything that is not a HD  ::).  The main question I couldn't get an answer on from the guy was if the dyno 250i can read from 0 rpm or 0 mph wheel speed.  It does no good to dyno the bike if it can't read below 1000rpm.  That being said, I have been working on a side project for about a year now that will log GPS, accel, angle, rotation, pressure etc at 50 times a second in a small form-factor .  This may be a good test for it.

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 03:03:57 AM »

Before 20 mph  everyone says its "slow" but people after a year of riding my fx I thought it was slow too....

What is your very first impression I know it's not "o well damn that thing was slow 0-20".  No it was holy crap that thing started pulling like a mother....

No I think that zero should make a tune that can be loaded into the bike via app that would give experienced electric riders more power lower etc, it's just not something you can have on every bike, it is already much easier to whiskey throttle an electric than a gas bike, so the de tuning is to protect the end user

If you really want to go faster fork out the money buy a size six and find someone crazy enough to put it on, and be mindful of the batteries. You will loose some "waterproofing" because the size six is so much bigger, it ends up hanging out the bottom.
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

steven_first

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »

@ Cortezdtv

You have a size 6 in one of your FX bikes don't you?  Do you have any pictures of the install?  I have to agree with you that when you first ride the bike 0-20 does not feel slow but then again there is so much going on that you don't even know what to think.  I asked Harlan at Hollywood Electrics and he feels that it is perception. 

I think what I am going to do is work on getting some hard numbers be it via dyno or accelerometer.  It may take a few weeks but I will post my findings in as objective a way as I can.

Francois

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »

do you have also the curve of the zero SR?

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 07:34:15 PM »

Francois are you asking if I have a sr tune on my fx?

Yes Steven I have a size six on a fx, and it has that "snap" or quickness that everyone commonly compares to dropping the clutch on a gas bike where you get a sudden jolt
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

RNM

• View Profile
Pages: 1 [2]