• April 28, 2024, 03:05:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Which windscreen is OK?  (Read 18730 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: Which windscreen is OK?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »

Doesn't look too shabby. Does it keep your head out of the wind?

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2015, 08:50:14 PM »

When I sit up straight, which I pretty much always do, I get a little bit of buffeting at the top of my helmet. But overall it's far better than without the screen, and I'm 5'11" with no legs (29-inch inseam), so I sit tall. Otherwise the protection is very good -- if I stick a hand out into the windstream I'm always amazed how strong it is. It's very still behind the screen.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2015, 09:09:27 PM »

It looks like Slipstreamer changed the lower mounting system since I bought mine about 15 years ago. My windshield didn't have a method of dealing with different handlebar sizes and it fastened to the upper fork tubes with common hose clamps. It is good to see a manufacturer make improvements to their product over the years that it has been in production.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »

When I sit up straight, which I pretty much always do, I get a little bit of buffeting at the top of my helmet. But overall it's far better than without the screen, and I'm 5'11" with no legs (29-inch inseam), so I sit tall. Otherwise the protection is very good -- if I stick a hand out into the windstream I'm always amazed how strong it is. It's very still behind the screen.
Thanks, I'm 190cm so it will be close but this with a spoiler is the best option I've seen so far.

TfuRdr15

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 01:35:38 AM »

Just bought a used DX screen off craigslist and I'm going to try to mount it to the Zero tonight.  Definitely going to be a struggle since, as someone pointed out before, the Zero's bars are tapered and the center section is too big for the mounts.   Luckily I only paid $25 for it, so not a huge loss if I can't find a way to get it to work. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:41:49 AM by TfuRdr15 »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 05:04:34 AM »

I was able to get the DX mounted to my 2012 Zero.  Getting the shield clamps on the bars was a struggle, but once I managed to do it the shield was stable and it is still on the bike that I gave to my daughter. Good luck!
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

TfuRdr15

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 10:48:59 AM »

It works, or at least it mounts up.  I'll report back tomorrow when I ride it as to wind protection, vibration, etc.  I had to remove the zip ties that were installed by the dealer, install the windshield mounts and then reinstall the zip ties. 

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »

I ended up going with the Slipstreamer Turbo, the smaller version of what Doug S has, and modified it so it fits better.

I added more details and pictures to my project page.

@BrianTRice: does the X-Screen Spoiler that you have really make a big difference with the wind noise? (ref)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 07:49:50 AM by Patrick Truchon »
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »

@BrianTRice: does the X-Screen Spoiler that you have really make a big difference with the wind noise? (ref)

Yeah, I think so. I have to lean a little bit forward to get all the way out of the wind, but it works great at highway speeds. I'm still looking for a better solution to stabilize the windshield than strapping a short bungee cord around the bottom, but it works so far!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:28 PM »

Really nice mod, Patrick! It looks like a factory fit. My experience has been pretty much exactly what you said -- everything is pretty well protected except the top of the helmet. I was also surprised how well my hands were covered -- they're in virtually still air. I use my summer gloves long after I've switched from my summer jacket to my winter jacket.

Let me know if you try the spoiler and how well it works. Personally I like the low top edge, and (especially with a tint) I'm not sure I'd like it coming up higher into my line of sight. I'm willing to put up with a little buffeting for the clean sight line, but then I haven't tried any of the spoilers either.
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2015, 12:56:05 AM »

Yeah, I think so. I have to lean a little bit forward to get all the way out of the wind, but it works great at highway speeds. I'm still looking for a better solution to stabilize the windshield than strapping a short bungee cord around the bottom, but it works so far!

I did take some more pictures of the bike with it installed. Yes, those are SP plastics. :D

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »

I have the original one from Zero I think its a little small if you're looking for good wind protection. It does take the wind off you chest but it still hits your shoulders. I still get a lot of wind noise coming off my helmet. I was hoping for more coverage.

I have the commuter screen from zero as well. I just put a phone mount on it (made it on a 3D printer) and had to move the metal "legs" so that the rubber/plastic end caps touch the mounts on the handlebar risers. I also made the screen a little more vertical and have found that the wind now goes over my shoulders (or at least just touches the tops of them) rather than hitting them a few inches down.

manitou

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »

I used Lecram's pics to help with mounting mine (thanks Lecram's!)
Pretty easy.. I'm guessing I'll try it at a few slightly different angles till I find what I think is perfect for me.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 03:45:14 AM »

I used Lecram's pics to help with mounting mine (thanks Lecram's!)
Pretty easy.. I'm guessing I'll try it at a few slightly different angles till I find what I think is perfect for me.

Oh, that really wide mounting is interesting; I hadn't considered that but it makes sense and maybe I'll try it.

Let us know if you experience any wobble at highway speeds and if you figure out a good solution. I'm inclined to drill holes in the bottom of the windshield so I can run a bracket or strap through it to dampen the forces.

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 06:04:11 AM »

I have the original one from Zero I think its a little small if you're looking for good wind protection. It does take the wind off you chest but it still hits your shoulders. I still get a lot of wind noise coming off my helmet. I was hoping for more coverage.

I have the commuter screen from zero as well. I just put a phone mount on it (made it on a 3D printer) and had to move the metal "legs" so that the rubber/plastic end caps touch the mounts on the handlebar risers. I also made the screen a little more vertical and have found that the wind now goes over my shoulders (or at least just touches the tops of them) rather than hitting them a few inches down.

Here is a pic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10