• April 29, 2024, 07:48:18 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Choosing the right bike Zero S, SR, or other  (Read 2127 times)

Casper

• View Profile
Re: Choosing the right bike Zero S, SR, or other
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 10:31:16 PM »

This is all great info., thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I just need to get all the pieces in place and buy the bike.

Nevetsyad and Burton, I'd be all for meeting up, and definitely up for going for a ride once I've got the bike. I actually live in Clifton, so any time you guys are out that way, I'd be up for meeting up. Do you ever go to the meetups the first Sunday of every (nice) month?

What meet ups? I tend not to ride with ICE riders much less it is a "quick run" because they cry when I have to stop to charge for an hour or two. :/ My trips through Clifton are random and often as weekends I am typically working on projects at home or soon to be mountain biking (which fountain head has the second best trails in the state).

I'm not sure if there is any official organizing force, but the first Sunday of every month there is a get together in Clifton, usually ranges from 30 or so bikes to 100+ and some nice cars end up in the mix as well.

I've had nothing but good experiences, generally I just go, grab a cup of coffee, and chat with some of the riders. I'm planning on going the weekend after next if you're interested. Let me know and I can PM you my details.

josequinones

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »

The meet ups in Clifton are now on the second Saturday's of each month: http://www.bikesandbreakfast.com/

Pic 1
Pic 2

I went to the last one, got lots of questions about the bike, the typical (range, how fast, etc...).

Probably should start a new topic for local meet ups.
2014 SR w 14.4 pack, 2016 FLHTP, 2009 Buell XB9SX, 2000 XL1200C

xmjsilverx

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 08:08:16 AM »

Maybe I am the odd one but so far twice now I have seen the yellow overheat warning light come on on my commute home.  I live in St Louis and it has been a fairly cool summer so far.  I typically don't go any faster than 75mph on the way home on my 25 mile commute.  I usually keep it close to or under 70mph.  I was disappointed that it has given me the warning twice but I have never gotten the red overheat light which I guess limits power.  I am guessing those days were no hotter than 94 degrees.  In my experience I would think you would see the yellow overheat light often which is only 212 degrees.
2015 Zero SR
2018 Tesla Model 3 Dual

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 08:35:35 AM »

I've never seen any warning lights still, and I drove like a crazy ICEr the last few days, just to try and make it happen. Have you called Zero?
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

ethanh8791

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 05:38:55 AM »

Another DMV resident here (Reston). I commute to Lanham everyday for work.....today was my first day riding the SR to work. (third week with the bike & it's also my first bike..). It's 38 mile commute. I think I'm at about 65% charge remaining on one way. I definitely wasn't pushing it too hard on 495 (first time on the highway with it!) Traffic wasn't too bad today and I do a mix of backroads to get to 495 from Reston (toll road = pointless).

Sorry, I didn't test drive an S (unfortunately Coleman Powersports JUST had there demo event) - sorry this is kind of baseless but I'd go with the SR!

I'd be interested in meeting up with all of you in the area as well.

nevetsyad

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 07:58:37 AM »

Okay, this is crazy. From what Coleman Woodbridge told me, no one was buying the Zeros. I was their 5th sale in the last two or three years or something. They only had 2014 models on the showroom, they wheeled out the 2015 SR as I got there. We may have to all get together!
2023 Energica Experia
2022 Lightning Strike (reservation)
2021 Energica Eva Ribelle (For Sale)
2020 Zero SR/S (sold)
2018 Zero DSR (sold)
2015 Zero SR (Lets call it sold)

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:46 AM »

Another DMV resident here (Reston). I do a mix of backroads to get to 495 from Reston (toll road = pointless).

I ride a Vectrix VX-1 electric in the DMV area - the express lanes on the I-495 are free (no toll) for motorcycles. I suppose you still have to pay toll on the 267 coming from Reston? At least you can have a couple of miles on 495 Express lanes going to/from Lanham "free". Don't need to register the bike or have an EZ pass for that. I too go to Lanham for work from time to time, usually starting from McLean, so not hitting the 267 tolls... I sometimes cut through the city, shorter by 1/3, urban speeds, and 2x longer time for me.
'15 Zero SR

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2015, 12:20:46 AM »

Hi,

Just noticed this thread...
Your commute is not too different than mine (which I briefly describe in this thread about Wh/mi http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4618.msg32009#msg32009) , but it is a bit longer.  I bought the SR with PT because I had similar concerns.

I think you'd be fine with either bike, but would recommend the PT.

I think your temperature warning light will be on quite a bit during that 80MPH leg.  That doesn't mean you'll be actually be overheating, but the bike may start blinking at you.  Once I've been on the highway for 15 miles or so, the temp has gotten pretty high (200's) and it doesn't take much of a bump in speed or a headwind to get it blinking at me (212 or above).  I rarely sustain 80mph.  I don't get over 77 or so very often.  It just hits the range too hard, and the temperature light make me feel sorry for the bike :)

When I get home, I usually have about 30-40% power remaining.  I think I could manage my commute without the PT, but yours is 12 miles longer...  I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with that.  (I'm assuming your figures were for each direction, not round trip.)  I am not sure the S would be happy with the 12 miles at 80MPH... Maybe it would be Ok.  If not, just slow down a bit.  Maybe mine's just tempera-ture-mental.

Sometimes when the weather smiles at me (tailwinds) or traffic frowns (slow traffic in HOV lane) I get home with close to 50%, but that's a special treat.  Sometimes it's around 25%.  But that's equally rare.  Maybe more rare.  Usually 35-40%.

Hope that helps.

2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX
Pages: 1 [2]