• April 29, 2024, 11:48:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Has Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?  (Read 10396 times)

RickSteeb

• View Profile
Re: Has Anyone Lowered Their Zero Yet?
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 01:32:43 AM »

My 2013 FX is presently at Evolution Motorcycles ( http://evolution-motorcycles.com/ ) being lowered. 

They will lower the triple-trees as much as can be reasonably done [the fork tube has a taper, being the limiting factor], and then measure how much shock travel occurs when raising the rear axle that distance, and insert a spacer that thick into the shock.  They also made note of my weight in order to design a custom spring...

Hope to get it back by next week! 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:36:09 AM by RickSteeb »
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 05:08:41 AM »

My 2013 FX is presently at Evolution Motorcycles ( http://evolution-motorcycles.com/ ) being lowered. 

They will lower the triple-trees as much as can be reasonably done [the fork tube has a taper, being the limiting factor], and then measure how much shock travel occurs when raising the rear axle that distance, and insert a spacer that thick into the shock.  They also made note of my weight in order to design a custom spring...

I would love to know how many inches it gets lowered when all said and done. If you could update once you get it back that would be great!
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »

Be careful about lowering it too much without taking the side stand into account.
As it gets lower, it stands up straighter. You don't want it to blow over in a light breeze.

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »

On my 2014 SR I found that the bike leant over too much with stock suspension settings and with my bike now lower the stand holds the bike at a better lean angle.
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 10:21:03 PM »

Be careful about lowering it too much without taking the side stand into account.
As it gets lower, it stands up straighter. You don't want it to blow over in a light breeze.

I forgot to mention that i had to buy a shorter side stand from Hollywood Electrics after I lowered my FX. I also machined a bigger "foot" for the side stand because I have to park in sand a lot. The foot is held in place with one flat-head bolt and JB Weld. I posted a photo on this forum (somewhere).

Trikester

Burton

• View Profile
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2015, 12:10:08 AM »

Oh yeah, they also will cut the foot off of the kickstand and weld it back on an inch or so higher...  good thinking!

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2015, 03:29:01 AM »

Or you could just get a ds kickstand....
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2015, 10:07:43 PM »

Or do as I said and go to Hollywood Electrics for a shorter stand.  :)

Trikester

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2015, 02:20:52 AM »

Just picked it up...  Feels great so far, based on a loop around the parking lot...  Metcalf opens at 0800 tomorrow!

Cost: Used 9Kg/mm spring (Triumph Street Triple) $60; Shorten shock & lower motorcycle $250; mount & balance two tires $90

Balls of both feet on the ground-- Priceless!  =D

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:41:40 AM by RickSteeb »

Straightedg4lif

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »

Glad to hear about a successful lowering of a Zero! I guess that I will have to take mine to a suspension shop as well once I get one. I was hoping to be able to pick it up from the dealership all ready to go, but that doesn't seem likely. I will just have to shop around earlier to have it all ready for the 2016 riding season here in PA.
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)
2015 Roma Hornet (Sold)
2009 Aprilia Mana (Sold)
1983 GS450A Suzukimatic (Sold)
2016 Dong Fang 200SST (Sold)
2017 Super Soco TS1200R (Current Bike)

zerolow

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2015, 05:08:12 AM »

I lowered my wife's 9.4 S quite a few inches. She's 5' 4", and her feet are flat on the ground now. Nice! With the new spring, the bike can actually hold both of us too. The original shock bottomed-out when we both sat on the bike. I weigh 200 pounds and she weighs 100 pounds. The dealership was not very helpful with lowering, and a lot of custom suspension shops made the project too difficult...so I attacked it myself. The result is worth the effort!

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2015, 05:48:57 AM »

@zerolow, can you give us some more details? What year is this bike? So you swapped the rear spring--with what? What is the seat height now?

Thanks, Alan

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2015, 05:31:48 AM »

Jim at Catalyst Reaction suggested I look into modifying the seat before I mess more with the suspension.

There is a full 4 inches of seat height used up by the seat the the brace that supports the seat (there are a couple inches of air space under the seat pan):

Before: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1cea5i09bex4w5l/Zero_seat_normal.jpg?dl=0

After: https://www.dropbox.com/s/szikwjbhd3sqbhl/Zero_seat_removed.jpg?dl=0

This is just a duct tape prototype (with hard plastic underneath), I think I can just hammer/bend sheet metal and attach it to the side of the frame. With a 3/4" gel pad and a professionally done seat cover I bet I can get the seat almost 3" lower... by my measurements (using a yardstick and carpenters level at the lowest spot) the stock bike is 31" and in the photos the "seat" height is 26.5". 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]