• April 29, 2024, 07:02:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New SR Owner -- What do you wish you knew right after you bought your first Zero  (Read 3587 times)

styxlord

• View Profile

Picked up my SR this morning  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Things I wish I knew ...
* The wrench needed to adjust the rear preload. I had an old Sachs wrench, but no dice. Googling ...

First things I did ...
* Drain the battery by max accelerating from every light between the dealer and my house
* Remove the SR designation ... it looks so much cleaner

Things I'm in the process of doing ...
* Swapping the red panels for black ones from an S. A set of panels from the factory are $100 and should be here next week.
* Getting a longer power cord and a timer to charge off peak

Things I'm pondering ...
* Rizoma grips/mirrors and brake reservoirs ... wondering how to disassemble that plastic throttle
* Whether to remove the storage container and throw it away ... the dealer mentioned that there could be a hard "tank case" coming ...
* Top case or not ... sticking with a backpack on the commute for now which should work given that it never rains here (in SoCal)

Things I'm thankful for ...
* The bike is made in America, but it still uses metric fasteners :P
* Getting a great deal on a demo bike that had 58 miles on it  :D

PhreaK

• View Profile

How did you go about getting those black fairings? Was planning to plastidip mine, but at that price its going to be cheaper just to swap them.
2014 Zero SR

GambitDash

• View Profile

Just put a deposit down on my SR - was also thinking about a custom paint job for the panels. Wonder how much it would cost...

Cheers
--G

oregonrider89

• Motorcycles: 2017 FX, 2015 SR, 1995 BMW GS
    • View Profile

I wish I had known how fun it was to ride because I would have bought it sooner!

KrazyEd

• View Profile

Bodywork is pretty minimal compared to an ICE bike, so, should be fairly reasonable ( comparatively speaking )
I have been thinking of filling the recesses on my FX with a bright green to offset the brushed grey.
Should be MUCH easier to R and R the pieces. Plus, you can still ride the bike while work is being done.
Hard to do on an ICE bike while tank is being painted.

styxlord

• View Profile

How did you go about getting those black fairings? Was planning to plastidip mine, but at that price its going to be cheaper just to swap them.

I asked the dealer before purchasing the bike and he ordered them from the factory as part of the purchase.
Admittedly, I don't have them in my hands yet, will update next week :)

oobflyer

• View Profile

does anybody know if your brake lights go on during regenerative slowing?

The brake lights do not turn on with regen braking.

I also added an accelerometer to my bike so that people will know when I'm slowing down. I copied the idea from nigezero:

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4327.0

If you find that you can't see behind you - this is what I did to my bike (both of my Zeros actually):

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4580.msg30273#msg30273
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

oobflyer

• View Profile

The one thing that I personally feel everyone should know before buying an EV is what to expect regarding the actual range vs. the manufacturers' range claims. Electric vehicle manufacturers should include 'best-case scenario range' and  'real-world range' estimates.

Chelsea Sexton (EV advocate) recommends calculating 'real-world range' at about 70% of the range-claims of the manufacturers, but I think 50% is the best.

By 'real-world range' I mean driving/riding like you would any other vehicle... accelerating up to freeway speeds on the onramp... accelerating to pass when necessary... traveling with the flow of traffic, even it is 5-10 MPH over the posted speed-limit, etc.

Why 50%? Because that's the range that you can count on. If you get more than that - then great - consider it a bonus.

This is not unique to Zero - I've had four EVs now - I plan on 50% for all travel.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Erasmo

• View Profile

Things I'm thankful for ...
* The bike is made in America, but it still uses metric fasteners :P
* Getting a great deal on a demo bike that had 58 miles on it  :D
It's nice to see that more and more companies finally are switching over to metric.
Pages: 1 2 [3]