• April 29, 2024, 10:12:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Reasonable efficiency in watt hours per mile  (Read 5113 times)

RickSteeb

• View Profile
Re: Reasonable efficiency in watt hours per mile
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »

Rode the SR to work today so I took a screen shot of my consumption. For clarification, I don't have a windscreen on mine yet and I don't typically tuck while riding.

Just over a year on my '14SR; my daily commute is mostly freeway, 70-80MPH or splitting lanes at 35MPH depending on what time I switch from telecommuting mode and go in to the office...

Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 12:41:21 AM »

I'm at 55Wh/km (89Wh/mile) on my 2013DS.  Mostly city commuting with some weekend small roads/highway mix.
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »

I have been mostly going for range on my 2013 FX with some spirited riding and a few 20 mile 80 mph runs.
My Present usage is right at 50 ( going between 49 and 51 ) for about 1500 miles. Lifetime is 63. Bike is set up
as a SuperMoto with street tires. and, 28 tooth front sprocket. Speedometer is calibrated and, corresponds with
mileage shown when using Waze, or, Google Maps.

jozsef.samuel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 02:29:13 AM »

So I have about 500 miles on my 2015 FX and have been messing around with a windscreen and some basic riding techniques and drive modes.  Before I put my windscreen on I was averaging about 75-85 wh/mi at an average of 40mph.  Now with my windscreen installed and being tuned it I am getting around 60-70 wh/mi at the same average speeds.  This is great as it shows what just a little aerodynamicals can do for efficiency!  My problem is that I have no idea if this is a good number or not so great.  I would like to see what other people's average watt hours per mile is (with average speed).

One thing I did not expect was that using the same MX style helmet that tried to rip my head off from the wind at 65mph was able to increase my efficiency with the new windscreen due to the visor acting as a second wind deflector!  If I tuck a few inches wearing this MX helmet I lose almost all wind noise and my efficiency change to 55 wh/mi.  Using a standard round helmet I can only get about 70 wh/mi!  Again though, I have no idea if these are good numbers or not....any input is good input. 8)
Hi again,

Can you please share a picture of your wind shielding setup to... maybe mimic and reevaluate your data?

Sent from my CT9716 using Tapatalk

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »

Some impressive figures here!

I have averaged about 157 Wh/mi on my 2015 SR.  This is over about 4000 miles since the end of January.  Mostly commuting with a small amount of errand running.  My commute is 25 miles each way, about 20 of which is 65-80mph, 4 are suburban 30-45 mph, and 1 is stop and go downtown.

Oh, and today it left me stranded at work (again!) with a "Contactor Error".   So annoyed.

mambo dog face to the banana patch.  Grrr.
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX

DanyEarth

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 03:54:37 AM »

Hello.

It's been 700 km on my 2015 SR with power tank. I do a 120 km highway commuting plus 10 km in the city. The bike has an average of 70 Wh/km which means ~110 Wh/mile. My trip only has 100 m ramp and I am going at 100-105 kph or 63-65 mph. I usually arrives home with 131 km and around 25% of battery, so the remaining range is approximately 40 km.

If I go at 115-120 kph I get the 150 km range that the dealer says. If I use eco mode or custom with 75% regen and 0% torque at mentioned speeds of 100 kph I can easily reach 180 km of range.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2015, 04:03:59 AM »

So I have about 500 miles on my 2015 FX and have been messing around with a windscreen and some basic riding techniques and drive modes.  Before I put my windscreen on I was averaging about 75-85 wh/mi at an average of 40mph.  Now with my windscreen installed and being tuned it I am getting around 60-70 wh/mi at the same average speeds.  This is great as it shows what just a little aerodynamicals can do for efficiency!  My problem is that I have no idea if this is a good number or not so great.  I would like to see what other people's average watt hours per mile is (with average speed).

One thing I did not expect was that using the same MX style helmet that tried to rip my head off from the wind at 65mph was able to increase my efficiency with the new windscreen due to the visor acting as a second wind deflector!  If I tuck a few inches wearing this MX helmet I lose almost all wind noise and my efficiency change to 55 wh/mi.  Using a standard round helmet I can only get about 70 wh/mi!  Again though, I have no idea if these are good numbers or not....any input is good input. 8)

Hey, steven_first, what kind of windscreen do you have?

I'd like to try improve my range at high speeds as well.  My experience mounting a Luftmeister (BMW's Vetter Windjammer knockoff) on my 2011 Zero S was that I didn't get any improvement.

Tony
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »

Keep in mind, that speed, tires and riding style are huge variables.

So are aerodynamics.  Wind screen good. Boxy saddlebags bad. 

Another variable is rider size and weight.  Big riders with a lot of weight are going to be a significant load for a motorcycle.  Cages are heavy and big driver does not increas the aerodynamic drag, so cages don't really notice passengers' spare tire.
Pages: 1 2 [3]