• April 28, 2024, 05:01:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anything I can do with dead 2010 DS?  (Read 2546 times)

Magpie3469

• View Profile
Re: Anything I can do with dead 2010 DS?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 01:37:28 AM »

If you could get that I'd  appreciate it.  I used to own a Vectrix, too. You guys don't live in Colorado,  do you? ;o)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Endoboy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 04:39:35 AM »

Thank you a ton foot that;  it's exactly what i was looking for.  It sounds pretty daunting to me,  buy i forwarded it to someone i know who has worked on ZEV scooters to see what he thinks.

I've searched for writeups and videos about the process,  but can't seem to find any other than the one thread on this forum.  If you can direct me to any other resources,  I'd be grateful.

Did you do this process yourself?  Are you happy with the results?

I did the conversion with help from a friend who was a maintenance tech for a photo lab for 20 years. It took us 10 hours, being very careful to measure twice and connect once. But after all that, the BMS wouldn't operate with the new Leaf cells. The pack is built correctly, and would work fine if I bypass the BMS, but I;d really like to have the BMS for safety, since the built-in charger is pretty powerful, and without the BMS monitoring, the cells could charge unevenly and overheat, even to the point of being dangerous. Another guy I met with a 2009 Zero X helped me understand how to bypass the BMS, but to be safe, that means buying a less-powerful charger to make sure none of the cells overheat and catch fire. For now, though, I'm still trying to get in touch with Luke, the battery guru up at Zero, to get some help figuring out how to reset the stock BMS to accept the new battery pack. No answer yet, and for that matter, no answer from Zero's tech support after three weeks and two emails. I'd have been OK with a simply 'No, we can't help you with your non-stock set-up, but instead I got no answer at all. Not sure how that is supposed to keep people stoked on them, but whatever...

Bottom line, if you don't mind taking the time to figure out the particulars, it can be done. I still need to post all my pictures from the swap. I took lots.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »

Could it be the cell are out of balance and beyond level that BMS can work with. Have you tried manually putting a small load on the highest voltage cells to bring them down to same as others?. Until all cells same voltage. Otherwise I try and contact the guy in the links above who successfully got it all working.

Magpie3469

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 10:23:39 AM »

Does anyone know of any resources in Colorado to either check out the batteries in my 2010 DS or help me convert to leaf batteries?  I would gladly pay for their time. 

jheth

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 06:39:30 PM »

Trade it in for a new bike:
http://insideevs.com/zero-motorcycles-offers-early-adopter-upgrade/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »

I realize I'm a bit late with this advice (I've been busy with a newborn lately), but as you said, you've got other projects... There's only so much time in the day, and so many days in your life.  It's not that you *can't* do it, or even that you don't *want* to do it... The question is, do you want to do it more than you want to do other things?

Sell it to me for cheap, so I can build the streamliner I want to build without chopping up my 2015 SR!  ;D

(In case it's not obvious, this whole note is very tongue in cheek - I encourage you to chase it... But I understand if you don't want to, and am half-serious in my offer to take it off your hands, if the price is right.)
2002 BMW R1150RS
2015 Zero SR
Houston TX
Pages: 1 [2]