• April 29, 2024, 03:11:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What other bikes are much quicker than an SR?  (Read 1019 times)

MichaelJohn

• View Profile
What other bikes are much quicker than an SR?
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:26:21 AM »

This question was prompted by my SR just walking away from a 1000cc Yamaha sportbike the other day. This happened at three stoplights in a row. At the second stoplight I asked the rider how big his bike was he said it was a 1000. I'm pretty sure it was not an R1, but nonetheless it was a literbike. I have had quite a few stoplight encounters and have basically run away from everyone except for one guy. I did leave that guy at the light but he caught me later, looked over at me and downshifted and we both accelerated at the same time - we were basically even, but that's as close as anyone has come. I wish I had gotten a better look at his bike but I couldn't becausd I let off at about 75 (40 mph zone, I try not to double the speed limit :) ) and he didn't. I do have a friend who has an R1 and he has ridden my bike and he says the acceleration is similar. We're going to have to do a side-by-side run to see what happens. Now I'm sure that a powerful motorcycle with a good launch would beat a Zero off the line but a high-revving hard launch is not an easy thing to do perfectly so 9 times out of 10 a Zero takes off more quickly. Heck, one time at a stoplight a guy on a big KTM accelerated so hard that he wheelied trying to get the jump on me and I still left him. As far as midrange punch, I would love to know what other bike can out-accelerate the SR by very much. I have never owned a powerful sportbike so maybe some of you guys that have can chime in. What is quicker than an SR, especially from a roll?

BTW, I don't want anything any quicker...I have almost 5,000 miles on mine and it still scares me sometimes!
2015 Zero SR - urban terror
2015 Honda NC700X - long distance cruiser

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: What other bikes are much quicker than an SR?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »

The Yamaha R1 has a problem getting off the line.  First gear is good for over 90 mph at redline, so you need to slip the clutch and wait for the engine to spool up into its power band before it really gets moving.  In the meantime you are gone and waiting for him to catch up at the next stoplight.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »

I'm gonna place my bets on a Hayabusa.

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »

Sitting at a stop light, light changes, both bikes  go, Zero should win most contests.
At a drag strip, with burn outs, prepared track, and, both parties staged and ready,
the Zero will lose to most popular high performance bikes with equal riders.
   The ability of riders will effect results. With equally matched riders in each case,
the lower the ability of rider, the advantage should go to the Zero. As competence
increases, the advantage should begin to go in favor of the ICE bike. With the
Zero, it is pretty much twist the throttle. The ICE bike requires a multitude of
additional factors. I am not generally a fan of Wikipedia, but, here is a list
of Motorcycle Acceleration times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fastest_production_motorcycles_by_acceleration

dkw12002

• View Profile

Lecram

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »

Ducati Panigale, after 50 km/h

https://youtu.be/iJF0FzZ8UUs?t=3m43s
1970 Honda CB750K0
1971 Honda CB750K1
1971 Honda CB750K1
1973 Honda CB750K2
1974 Honda CB750K2
2011 Mercedes Viano Marco Polo camper
2015 Zero DS with power tank
2016 KTM 1190 Adventure
2019 BMW i3