• April 27, 2024, 04:16:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My '14 Zero S is getting a new motor  (Read 1776 times)

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
My '14 Zero S is getting a new motor
« on: September 07, 2015, 03:51:51 PM »

Hello fellow zero-ers,

I've been thoroughly enjoying my 40km commute for the last three months on my Zero S but I hit a bit of a roadblock recently. Just wondering if any has come across this issue:

- Rolling out of the garage on full State-of-Charge (SOC), the throttle rapidly cuts in and out.
- The whir of the motor is constant, even while stationary.
- No errors fash on the dash.

She's in the shop being looked at and I've been told a new motor is on the way.
Have any of you guys had a similar issue?

P.S. I love the torque as a first time rider and 4 weeks without is driving me nuts!

ctrlburn

• 79_HD_Sportster 2013_Zero_S 2020_HD_LiveWire
    • View Profile
    • Charging Cycles
Re: My '14 Zero S is getting a new motor
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:12:35 AM »

Not wanting to slap a negative tone right out of the box - but whenever told "a _____ is on the way" ask for the shipping tracking number.

There is a fairly broad interpretation of what words mean sometimes or what leg of a journey something is on in today's "corporate speak".

Snafuperman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 03:07:36 AM »

Did they say what was wrong with the motor?  Why did it go bad?  How many miles on bike?

uhoherk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:58:40 AM »

I am curious to know what happened to such relatively new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xenoilphobe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:43:47 AM »

My "new" demo 2013 FX with 98 miles did the same thing prior to delivery.  "a New Motor in route" was what the dealer told me too.  I paid in full for the bike over three weeks ago and still haven't received delivery of the bike.
2013 FX 5.7 , 2014 Tesla P85+ (His), 2013 Tesla P85 (hers)

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:31:00 AM »

That's her there. She's done a few few k's (kilometers on Aussie speak) 7000kms.

Ctrlburn, I'll ask my dealer for a shipping number. They've been pretty awesome so far.

She's 3 months old but I'm pretty optimistic. I thought it was a Sevcon controller issue from the 2013's but I've been told it needs a new motor.

Will keep you all posted and cheers for the replies.

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 04:33:36 AM »

And Xenoilphobe, fingers crossed yours gets sorted before mine. I've had 3 amazing months and it's rainy season now anyway so on the bright side, it couldn't break down at a better time (haha).

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 04:49:27 AM »

I sure wish I knew what is causing the motor failures on both the new Zeros and the 2012 models - which use a completely different motor.  I always figured that electric motors were pretty reliable, considering they have been manufactured for well over 100 years and there are some industrial motors that have been running for a very long time without issues.   ???  All I can think of is that the encoder device in the motor is suffering some sort of failure.  I mean what else is there that can fail on such a mechanically simple device?  ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 06:09:21 AM »

My 75-5 motor (replaced last December) had the high-reading thermistor problem along with a screeching noise from the LH bearing at high rpm. Two dealers signed off on the motor replacement before it actually happened.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 03:32:39 PM »

I sure wish I knew what is causing the motor failures on both the new Zeros and the 2012 models - which use a completely different motor.  I always figured that electric motors were pretty reliable, considering they have been manufactured for well over 100 years and there are some industrial motors that have been running for a very long time without issues.   ???  All I can think of is that the encoder device in the motor is suffering some sort of failure.  I mean what else is there that can fail on such a mechanically simple device?  ???
I think the electric motor fundamentals are well established but Zero maybe pushing the limits of the packaging, integration and weight reduction. This all means a smoothness of power delivery and agile handling of the bike (something which is easy to fall in love with). Due to this cutting edge technology that larger manufacturers aren't willing to bear the cost of researching, they're bound to get some technical issues while they flesh out and produce a truly resilient product. I'm just excited we get to be a part of it!

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »

My 75-5 motor (replaced last December) had the high-reading thermistor problem along with a screeching noise from the LH bearing at high rpm. Two dealers signed off on the motor replacement before it actually happened.

Ray
Ray, did the motor fix solve the noise issue and thermistor issue? (Not the same issue as I'm having). And any issues since December?

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 07:26:37 PM »

Ray, did the motor fix solve the noise issue and thermistor issue? (Not the same issue as I'm having). And any issues since December?

Yes, it did.  The noise and early-overheating problems (w/2 batteries) went away, and the new motor seems smoother and a bit more powerful; no problems at all with it.

At first I had some issues similar to yours - I'd turn the key on and sometimes the throttle wouldn't work, error flashes would appear, etc. - but the firmware update to version 43 fixed those (version 44 is in it now).

Ray

'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

TheRebelFred

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »

G'day zero riders, just had an update from my dealer:

- GOOD NEWS
New motor came in on Friday!

- BAD NEWS
Motor was damaged in transit. Apparently the crate only has a cradle at the bottom and a 'this way up' sign. Must have been tipped over on the seas.

New ones on order and Zero have responded really quickly so fingers still crossed.

Pages: [1]