• April 28, 2024, 10:44:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Hypothetically, How much would you pay for an onboard charger that could fit in your tank and charge your zero in under an hour?

- 14 (13.9%)
- 21 (20.8%)
- 16 (15.8%)
- 30 (29.7%)
- 7 (6.9%)
- 7 (6.9%)
- 3 (3%)
- 2 (2%)
- 0 (0%)
- 1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour  (Read 34056 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour
« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2016, 07:30:45 PM »

Good news!!!  I just received word that Brandon and Terry have been working for 2 days straight testing the superchargers and they will likely be shipped later this week!!! 

Here is the Facebook post from today where they celebrate their testing marathon.

Glad they are both safe and I certainly appreciate the monumental effort that went into getting the superchargers ready for use. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2016, 04:00:47 AM »

@Erasermo
We now have a way to use the full power of three phase. So there is a single phase version and a three phase version. But, you will need a three phase mennekes to j1772 adapter.

We do have the single phase mennekes to j1772 adapter we can ship as well.

@Ben glad we can get it to you in time.

@MrWilson shoot me an email with your phone number and details on your trip.

@Those who are waiting to order. We will begin accepting orders again after we start shipping, hopefully through dealers.

Holy crap this was a lot of work... I  can't imagine building a whole motorcycle if this is just a charger... I mean it is the best charger, but still man it's a lot of work!

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2016, 04:48:13 AM »

I'm so glad that you're ready to ship ;D Seriously this is a game changer in the emotor world.

But seriously, where can I post a deposit for a three phase super charger.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:50:29 AM by Erasmo »

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2016, 05:07:03 AM »

Good news!!!  I just received word that Brandon and Terry have been working for 2 days straight testing the superchargers and they will likely be shipped later this week!!!  ... Glad they are both safe and I certainly appreciate the monumental effort that went into getting the superchargers ready for use.

Outstanding!  Congratulations, Brandon and Terry!

What this means to me personally:
- I'll be able to do my 200 mile days at highway speed instead of limiting myself to 40-45 MPH
- I'll have more time to work on streamlining and CNC and making a raspberry pi play audio according to speed
- The trip to the electric motorcycle gathering in Ohio in July becomes practical.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »

Anxiously yet patiently waiting for an email contact. (Drumming fingers on desktop)
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »

Congratulations. :) I too am hoping to have a nice relaxing summer trip with mine.

Current status: "Startup work and no play makes Homer something something"
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2016, 12:32:21 PM »

I just spent a day getting a unit fitted and doing testing; these are on the verge of shipping now. A great deal was explained to me that will help with documentation but also reveals some of the complications involved in making this thing a deliverable product.

I can say that my 2016 DSR reached a 1C charge rate during field testing using 2 J1772 stations through the DigiNow Supercharger and my single Elcon 2500 chain, so that's a milestone that should help trip planning.

EDIT: The 1C rate was achieved by using the controller install path in parallel to the OEM external charge port.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:27:11 PM by BrianTRice »

gingerjet

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2016, 01:02:47 PM »

So I'm a little confused ... once the testing is done how does one actually buy one?  There has been conflicting information in this thread.

disclaimer 1:  i love the testing and passion behind the product and want to support it but you are not making it easy
disclaimer 2:  honestly - zeros charge tank fits my requirements (and looks better) but i've been holding off on the purchase

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour
« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2016, 08:31:56 PM »

When testing is done they're going to ship out the first units that were ordered last November. Then they will begin taking orders for the next round which will be delivered much faster because they have worked out the bugs over the winter. The testing phase took significantly longer than planned but they will be delivering an incredible product.

Ordering Will probably be ton on either the DigiNow page or the EMotowerks page.

If you can afford it without too much trouble this is a higher power product compared to the zero charger and will allow you to charge for times faster. You may not think you want it now but once you start using it you will not know how you lived without it!

Subscribe to Benswing on YouTube to follow my summer journeys.
Like Ben Rich - Electric Biker on Facebook.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:56:13 AM by benswing »
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #324 on: May 30, 2016, 09:35:45 PM »

Ben has the right information. They're being careful not to over promise, and honestly forums are very hard to communicate a clear message through. There will be a product page and documentation.

I'm being careful with what I say because I hear a mixture of internal discussion and real commitments and I don't want to confuse things.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 31, 2016, 06:15:48 PM »

Will the schematic be available like the earlier EMotowerks chargers?

PlatPays

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 12, 2016, 09:50:32 PM »

Hi,
I am new on this Forum and just bought a Zero S model 2015. Doing a full charge in 1 hour would be great with a supercharger. I did not buy the Chargetank as I hope to be able to buy something faster. In the Netherlands, most public chargers offer 3 phase (3 x 240 V x 16 A = 11 kW). It would be great if a three phase version is available for the DigiNow charger.
My question is following. How can it use the full power of three phase when a single-phase vehicle coupler is used ? I read in a message from @ElectricCowboy that a three phase mennekes to j1772 adapter is needed. But I don't see how it can fully use the 3 phases if on the motorcycle side there is a J1772 socket ?
Thanks for some clarification.
Zero S 2015

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 16, 2016, 01:52:49 AM »

Hi,
I am new on this Forum and just bought a Zero S model 2015. Doing a full charge in 1 hour would be great with a supercharger. I did not buy the Chargetank as I hope to be able to buy something faster. In the Netherlands, most public chargers offer 3 phase (3 x 240 V x 16 A = 11 kW). It would be great if a three phase version is available for the DigiNow charger.
My question is following. How can it use the full power of three phase when a single-phase vehicle coupler is used ? I read in a message from @ElectricCowboy that a three phase mennekes to j1772 adapter is needed. But I don't see how it can fully use the 3 phases if on the motorcycle side there is a J1772 socket ?
Thanks for some clarification.
There are several cables on the market to convert from mennekes to j1772.
The pilot signal is the same between them, so thats no big deal.  I dont know how the cable handles the 3 phases though. I assume it only uses 2 of them, but I never researched it.

I dont know what the full plans are for diginow, but I would imagine that they could swap the normal single phase rectifier bridge for a 3 phase bridge and use that... EMotowerks will do that for their other chargers, so assuming there is room, I dont see why they wouldnt do it for you. 

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #328 on: June 16, 2016, 02:05:28 AM »

I did not know they supported that. I'll raise the issue, but I think they'll be just as responsive about this product as their existing products.

The DigiNow customizations are all mainly about systems integration and you will have to contact them about those aspects. I would expect that a certain amount of configuration can be requested, at least.

FYI I've finished the initial core documentation for installing and using it, and it's undergoing a review process with the relevant people.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 16, 2016, 02:26:27 AM »

I did not know they supported that. I'll raise the issue, but I think they'll be just as responsive about this product as their existing products.

The DigiNow customizations are all mainly about systems integration and you will have to contact them about those aspects. I would expect that a certain amount of configuration can be requested, at least.

FYI I've finished the initial core documentation for installing and using it, and it's undergoing a review process with the relevant people.

Yeah, EMotowerks is a pretty cool story. I only know the jist of it from when I jumped into the EV game, but it started with one guy on a forum posting about building an open source charger.. all the info for every aspect is/was online...  then with a design they moved on to kits. and from the charger you need an EVSE so they made that.... and now he has a business of making EVSE kits, charger kits, etc.. and that of course moved on to assembled products. You can google back and see how they grew.
Some people like to mock their earlier stuff for being inefficient and unsophisticated,  but I view it as an inspiration. They went from a very basic charger to a full featured PFC charger. They learned alot, and in 2013 he completely redid it. Constantly learning, and revising.
I dont know anything about the deal between them and Diginow.. I can see online that "if used for electric motorcycles, buy through diginow", so I only assume they have a sales agreement... I assume its all based on their 12kw charger.. just with better packaging for a smaller product.

but thats alot of assumptions.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24