• April 28, 2024, 07:02:07 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Hypothetically, How much would you pay for an onboard charger that could fit in your tank and charge your zero in under an hour?

- 14 (13.9%)
- 21 (20.8%)
- 16 (15.8%)
- 30 (29.7%)
- 7 (6.9%)
- 7 (6.9%)
- 3 (3%)
- 2 (2%)
- 0 (0%)
- 1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24

Author Topic: Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour  (Read 34050 times)

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Hypothetically, if you could charge a zero in UNDER 1 hour
« Reply #330 on: June 17, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »

Mr Dude, you are correct on all aspects.

One thing to keep in mind, our connectors are modular. So while we support J1772 by default, we can ship a 3 phase charger for you to hook up as well. We don't have the connector right now, but all you would need to do is crimp the ends and plug it in.

Or you can use the 2 of the 3 phases with the JPlug.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 18, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »

Mr Dude, you are correct on all aspects.

yay! I should use that as my signature. lol

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2016, 12:46:14 AM »

Anyway now the first wave is getting shipped, how easy/difficult is the controller kit to install, and how heavy is the SC actually?

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #333 on: June 20, 2016, 12:55:05 AM »

Anyway now the first wave is getting shipped, how easy/difficult is the controller kit to install, and how heavy is the SC actually?

Super easy for anyone who has worked with the bikes before, mildly scary but still easy for those who have not. People who do not know why you should be careful with metal around a control should go to a dealer. People who know why, leave the bike off for 10 min and the caps will be discharged and no voltage across the terminals anymore.

Even for a novice the install should not take more than 30-40 min if you know how to use an allen wrench, socket and screw driver. Otherwise, go to a dealer. :)

Knowledge of how to use a volt meter is ideal.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 20, 2016, 01:33:03 AM »

Thanks for the swift response ;)

I know my way around electronics so that should be do-able. Might take longer and do a neat perma install in a topbox.
Can you maybe share a photo of the situation at the controller after installation if you have one laying around?

Anyway time to send a mail to two certain dealers ;)

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 20, 2016, 02:25:42 AM »

So I've bitten the bullet and joined the que for a 3 phase unit, we'll see when it arrives.

GdB

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2016, 02:34:26 AM »

What's the latest on the price?
My EVs:  Mitsubishi Zero                      (2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV and 2014 Zero S 11.4 Motorcycle)

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 20, 2016, 06:42:00 AM »

What's the latest on the price?

$3k USD plus options. After a snag with the paperwork I'm hopeful the one I ordered will ship soon. See: http://www.grandcanyoncycles.com/--diginow-supercharger

morimaxx

• View Profile
    • My personal blog (german only)
« Reply #338 on: August 21, 2016, 04:24:21 AM »

we can ship a 3 phase charger for you to hook up as well.
Here at my location we have a 3-phase Y system power supply with grounded neutral. It provides 230 Volts each phase against neutral/ground and 400 Volts between each phase.
Can the charger operate at that power level? As the charger seems to have no galvanic isolation will the Zero handle that voltage against ground? Are the isolations of charger and Zero sufficient? Does the charger provide PFC at 3 phase operation?

Swiebo

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 21, 2016, 04:12:46 PM »

What I don’t understand is why Zero doesn’t make a more powerful build-in charger for the European market.
The standard charger is 1,3kw, which means at 220v about 6 ampere. European outlets can go easy to 10 or even 16 ampere, which would mean 50% less time to charge. For me that would be a better deal than a charge tank or other quick charge solutions.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2016, 06:50:46 PM »

What I don’t understand is why Zero doesn’t make a more powerful build-in charger for the European market.
The standard charger is 1,3kw, which means at 220v about 6 ampere. European outlets can go easy to 10 or even 16 ampere, which would mean 50% less time to charge. For me that would be a better deal than a charge tank or other quick charge solutions.

Cost. They would have to spend more on the on-board charger to have it support two charge rates.

Zero have effectively managed to accomplish that with the charge tank. If you plug your kettle lead into a 220-240V outlet, it will charge using the charge tank at about 2.2kW and bypass the on-board. That's less than the 2.5kW it's capable of. I seem to recall it has something to do with legislation and sustained current draws.  In a similar vein, my Kia Soul EV comes with a brick which is rated at 2.2kW. I've not seen it draw more than 2kW.

I think the charge tank should become standard equipment, or at least a much cheaper option. However, just as the Diginow charger is expensive, the charge tank isn't cheap either. There's some fundamental truth in that.  They have to cover costs at least and make a small margin.  If there was much scope to reduce the price and still make a small margin, I'm sure they would. That way they'd make more profit overall and the chargers would benefit a lot more bikers.

The biggest problem is that it's all done with small volumes. How many charge tanks will Zero sell in a year? How many orders do Diginow have for their super charger?

I hope that helps.

GdB

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 08, 2016, 04:38:35 AM »

This should allow a smaller, and maybe cheaper charger:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/10/20161006-wolfspeed.html
Wolfspeed delivers industry’s first 1000V SiC MOSFET for efficient EV fast chargers

I wonder how much kW could fit in the extra space under the seat.
My EVs:  Mitsubishi Zero                      (2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV and 2014 Zero S 11.4 Motorcycle)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #342 on: October 08, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »

This should allow a smaller, and maybe cheaper charger:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/10/20161006-wolfspeed.html
Wolfspeed delivers industry’s first 1000V SiC MOSFET for efficient EV fast chargers

I wonder how much kW could fit in the extra space under the seat.

That is research and development. Please make another thread in the news board: http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?board=9.0
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 12, 2016, 02:02:36 AM »

So, is there any news on this front? I guess that the original backers all have their charger at this point?

ElectricZen

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 12, 2016, 02:06:30 AM »

So, is there any news on this front? I guess that the original backers all have their charger at this point?
I think so!  I'm on the list for the next round.  Pretty sure Brandon is busting his ass.  I am in San Francisco myself.  From Vancouver, Canada, been slow charging the whole way until the onboard charge kicked the bucket.  Was hoping to pop in to Hollywood electrics and get my supercharger(ie. A real charger). 

Soon(TM):)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24