• April 29, 2024, 07:10:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Does anyone know what it takes to be a Zero dealer?  (Read 1055 times)

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Does anyone know what it takes to be a Zero dealer?
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »

I know when you call the main office you can press three to ask about being a dealer but I didn't know if anyone on here had had one or worked for one.  I was thinking of an unusual concept for selling them and I have no idea what the buy in is, how the inventory is structured, and how much maintenance support would be required.  I wouldn't own it or maybe not even work there but I might be willing to fund a bit of the start up costs.  I really wish Zero would open an east coast factory or at least HQ.  Ca is perfect riding and all but east coast servicing would be so much cheaper with a hub over here also better to serve Europe.  Pull some young talent from Georgia Tech and we give great tax breaks.  I see some issues with conflict of interest from regular motorcycle shops selling an ice bike with all the services that go along with it. Also all the custom gear and after market toys to go with it, or a high priced Zero with little or no extra sales.  Which one would you push?  I think that is one of the many reasons Hollywood Electrics does so well.  Of course the fact that they really know their stuff is the biggest reason but they aren't going to have any reason to steer someone away from an EV.  To me a salesmen has to be able to look at an ICE bike and point out all the bad things about them without any worry they will lose a sale. Sorry I'm thinking out loud again but I guess that is the point of a forum.  Let me know if anyone has any info thanks.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone know what it takes to be a Zero dealer?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »

From my experience as a long-time motorcycle consumer, I have seen many motorcycle dealers come and go.  I would say that all you need to become a motorcycle shop is money.  However staying in business for very long takes lots of enthusiasm, brains, management talent and some technical knowledge - along with a limited (not a lot) amount of BS.  I have never seen anyone get rich in the business and if they don't really love motorcycles and the community, they will drop out after a few years either voluntarily or be forced out due to economic reasons.  As for what Zero is looking for, I am guessing a warm body.   ::)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 03:30:15 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:29:38 PM »

How to make a small fortune selling motorbikes?

Start with a large fortune...
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 09:50:27 AM »

Thanks guys  and I know I would not become a wealthy man selling bikes.  I really just want a dealership close by but I really do think the area could sell 6 or 7 a year and I think I could fleet sell some to law enforcement which could make me my money back and just move the others with less stress.  It would be a subsection of another business with similar customer interests so taking up a little floor space and hopefully a symbiotic relationship but it is a long shot to say the least.  I will take my bike down to show him next week if the weather holds up.  He has heard of them but never seen one or rode one.  I told him the key would be getting some police sales up front to fund the rest of the setup but we will see.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 07:40:19 AM »

Just today I was talking to a motorcycle shop here in St. Louis about becoming a dealer.  He said you have to commit to 6 bikes and 2 have to be demos.  Not sure if that's a yearly commitment or one time and then you just buy one bike at a time but have to keep 2 demos.  I'm also assuming that's just 6 bikes total and not 6 of each model but I don't know which is really the answer.  I'm sure there's more to it than that but hope it helps.
2014 Zero S

Zorgalouf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 12:14:06 PM »

Here in France, in a small town, you have to buy 3 bikes and get a special formation (I don't rememberer the exact amount, something like 20000€ I think), so it is approximately 60000 € needed to start. Plus the building and so of course.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 03:20:07 PM »

I doubt that,s the case in Australia, think they be lucky to have any and no way 6 bikes. Hopefully 2016 they get their act together.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:48 PM »

BTW, the first new Suzuki motorcycles that I ever saw in a "showroom" occurred in 1963.  They were a couple of 150cc twins and were being sold at a Western Appliance store located across from the Emporium department store on 19th Avenue in San Francisco. The two Suzuki's were sitting next to several washing machines in the store.  That marketing scheme apparently didn't last long.  Probably only until the first warranty claim.  Finding the right dealers can make or break a vehicle manufacturing business.  Having a warm body just isn't enough.  You really need a lot more than that.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 09:58:38 AM »

Well thinking out loud again.  I saw one dealership that was really a boat dealer and that little Brammo bike scooter thing was sold out of Best Buy the start with.  I have watched a few of my closest Motorcycle shops and they aren't doing too great from what I see.  I've looked at craigslist and watched some of the resales and a lot of people get bikes don't ride them and sell them at a pretty big loss (if they sale at all).  I would love to know the real reason why.  Is it scared of crashing, or loved the look but not the experience.  I wonder if it is some of the hassle of an ICE bike upkeep.  I mean every mile you put on it gets you closer to a fix or replace.  True for Zero's too but not as much of a sure thing as oil changes and valve adjustments.  People can say how much they love loud pipes all they want (I like some of them myself but in smaller doses) hours of loud pipes and a shaking hot bike will wear you down.  I have my bike just for the fun of riding so my demands on it are lower than most who commute to work or needed travel.  It fills my fun needs pretty well and I think if, as they say, you can get butts on bikes  more people would like them too.  It is a catch 22 with price.  The more you sell the cheaper you can sell them for.  But you have to have them cheap enough to buy to sell at a volume price point.  At this point I don't think you could sell just Zeros and survive and I have no interest in selling ICE bikes with way too much competition so it may not be doable right now.  It says a lot about the product though that I have a real interest in showing more people what they can do to the point of even thinking about dropping big money to do it.
Pages: [1]