• April 29, 2024, 09:57:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DigiNow Super Charger  (Read 5055 times)

Erasmo

• View Profile
Re: DigiNow Super Charger
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 03:29:21 AM »

Do you have a ballpark on how many extra Watt a slightly more efficient charger is?

Sorry for hijacking this thread for a small rant

I'm currently looking into a 2014 S, there is exactly one for sale(a demo) in the whole country for €13.990,- but it has no power tank. If I can source one I should make it with one charge on the road but it's close and I also commute on my bike in the winter.

Argh the choice is tearing me apart. I really want to say goodbye to ICE but a 2x200km on a streetfighter on the motorway every week might be a challenge in the long run. Goddamit Zero why can't I order even the most modest fairing from you.

Anyway even if I must endure another year before I can switch I'll know where to get my highpower charger.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 03:50:37 AM »

Do you have a ballpark on how many extra Watt a slightly more efficient charger is?

I'm currently looking into a 2014 S, there is exactly one for sale(a demo) in the whole country for €13.990,- but it has no power tank. If I can source one I should make it with one charge on the road but it's close and I also commute on my bike in the winter.

Argh the choice is tearing me apart. I really want to say goodbye to ICE but a 2x200km on a streetfighter on the motorway every week might be a challenge in the long run. Goddamit Zero why can't I order even the most modest fairing from you.

Anyway even if I must endure another year before I can switch I'll know where to get my highpower charger.

Have you seen the fairing that Ripperton fitted to an SR?  It looks great, you would obviously need one with lighting though.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/zero-sr-race-mods-124073.html

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 08:30:13 PM »

That does looks good, actually somebody near me has a Vetter Windjammer for sale, I wonder if that would fit a S.

Today the dealer that has the S is closed, I'll give them a ring tomorrow to see if they can still install a power tank.
Yeah, maybe this can work after all.

Edit: The reason why I want to know about DC charging is because I will use it almost daily. But if the difference is marginal mennekes might be better for the occational holiday.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:47:02 PM by Erasmo »

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 05:20:01 PM »

I think I saw something about the charger being able to charge at higher voltages, if so it's a good add on for my imiev and makes the charger more useful, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm just imagining that I read this, it'd be nice to swap it to the car for the long Canadian winter!
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 02:57:39 AM »

I think I saw something about the charger being able to charge at higher voltages, if so it's a good add on for my imiev and makes the charger more useful, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm just imagining that I read this, it'd be nice to swap it to the car for the long Canadian winter!
Doesn't the Imiev have a Chademo connection?

Anyway I also send an email today, I hope they answer quick because I have the option to buy a 2104 S at a nice price.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 03:12:12 AM »

Doesn't the Imiev have a Chademo connection?

With the arrival of the updated Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES model in late spring 2014, a quick charge port (using the CHAdeMO standard) comes as standard equipment.
http://www.plugincars.com/mitsubishi-i-miev
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Ndm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2015, 04:00:44 AM »

Yes it has chademo, but the Chargers are few and far between (I think the count is around 3 in ontario) I was hoping by tapping into the battery at the chademo contactor I could chrge at around 6.6 kW essentially doubling charge speed, the stock charger only charges at 3.3kw
2013 zero S  ZF13.0 , 2017 chevy bolt, 2008 IGO Titan bike

vaiarii

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »

Hello!
I have a 2014 SR and several questions about this charger:

- Is it compatible with french charge stations? (are communication protocols different?)
- Will I have to let the bike on to charge? or can I switch the bike off, plug it to charge and leave it to take a coffee?

- Can you confirm or correct this assumption (for my understanding):
The battery pack shouldn't be pushed more than 106v (may be a little bit more), thus the max charge rate I should get from a station would be
P = 106v x Max_station_amperage
For example, a charge station with Type 2 (mennekes) that is set 63A max and 223V can provide 63*223=14 kW, but with the battery tension limitation I should charge only at 63*106=6.6 kW.

- If this station is three phase, can the diginow supercharger get full power of the three phase? that would give me (63*3)*106=20 kW of charge rate!

- With the 11.4 kWh battery pack, what is the max charge rate I shouldn't exceed to avoid damaging the battery?

- I've read that the supercharger slow down at 85% to allow a better charge at the end (balancing,...?). What happen if I stop at that percent each time I charge during a road trip? will I need to get a full charge once in order to let the cells charging in good conditions?

- Here in France most fast charging stations are in type 2 (mennekes), that is why I would first consider this plug for fast charging,
but we also have a lot of type 1 (J1772) that can provide 3 kW or even 6 kW for some, I would also consider this option.
Does diginow sell and adaptor to connect the diginow supercharger type 2 socket to the station type 1 plug?

- When a Chademo solution will be released, will I have to buy another charger for that?

- Does the diginow supercharger void the Zero warranty of the battery pack?

- How much does it cost?

And finally, do you know if it has already been sold to France?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions
Thank you for any answers!
Vai

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 10:02:43 PM »

I am not EC, and I don't have one of these YET but I will answer some of your concerns.

- Is it compatible with french charge stations? (are communication protocols different?)
it works with mennekes stations just fine.

- Will I have to let the bike on to charge? or can I switch the bike off, plug it to charge and leave it to take a coffee?
Almost all external chargers use the built in zero wiring to let the bike know an external charger is attached and charging. You don't need to leave the bike on, it will know it has chargers attached. You might need to power the bike on then back off if it has been sitting a long time however.

The battery pack shouldn't be pushed more than 106v (may be a little bit more), thus the max charge rate I should get from a station would be
For example, a charge station with Type 2 (mennekes) that is set 63A max and 223V can provide 63*223=14 kW, but with the battery tension limitation I should charge only at 63*106=6.6 kW.
The bikes top voltage is 116vDC ... at 106v you are looking at around 50% SOC
So theoretically you could get up to 7308w

- If this station is three phase, can the diginow supercharger get full power of the three phase? that would give me (63*3)*106=20 kW of charge rate!
It should be able to consume 3 phase but the voltage IN might be a limitation. Other emotowerks chargers are purchased for either 380 or <240 ...

- With the 11.4 kWh battery pack, what is the max charge rate I shouldn't exceed to avoid damaging the battery?
You can't damage the battery ... the BMS will prevent you from doing this. On the 2014 I think the max charge rate is 1C or ~10kW

- I've read that the supercharger slow down at 85% to allow a better charge at the end (balancing,...?). What happen if I stop at that percent each time I charge during a road trip? will I need to get a full charge once in order to let the cells charging in good conditions?

If you are going to charge up to 85% or 90% only on a regular basis then once a month just plug the bike in when you are at home and let the cells balance. I have heard of people doing just this and going 3 months between balancing.

- Here in France most fast charging stations are in type 2 (mennekes), that is why I would first consider this plug for fast charging,
but we also have a lot of type 1 (J1772) that can provide 3 kW or even 6 kW for some, I would also consider this option.
Does diginow sell and adaptor to connect the diginow supercharger type 2 socket to the station type 1 plug?
The charger will come with a menneke or J plug input depending on what you order. Anything beyond that might be special order but I am sure it can be created.

- When a Chademo solution will be released, will I have to buy another charger for that?
CHaDEmo is a direct DC charging solution. You don't need a charger on the bike to use it. If you wanted to though you might be able to use it as an input for your diginow charger but it wouldn't be more efficient.

The earliest known release I know of is mid to late next year ... and it is still in a prototype phase and hasn't been tested. It will be about 2/3's the cost of this solution but won't work with any menneke or J plugs since they are AC charging solutions requiring you to carry chargers.

- Does the diginow supercharger void the Zero warranty of the battery pack?
There is nothing about the charger that will void your warranty. The battery is a smart battery and will protect itself from harm if it needs to. The charger also interfaces with your CAN traffic to know what the bike is requesting.

- How much does it cost?
It is about ~$3k last I heard but that depends on other options you may or may not order. Send a message to Electric Cowboy for more details.

And finally, do you know if it has already been sold to France?
If I recall correctly this will be sold around the world but no one has one outside the US yet as it is in the first production run.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »

The bikes top voltage is 116vDC ... at 106v you are looking at around 50% SOC
So theoretically you could get up to 7308w

If the Supercharger voltage is below the AC supply voltage, which it pretty much always will be, it can supply more DC amps than AC amps, until it reaches its maximum rated DC amp output or the AC supply reaches its maximum AC output (and trips a breaker).

You should be able to charge from this charge station at the maximum 8-9 kW that the Supercharger can supply.

It should be able to consume 3 phase but the voltage IN might be a limitation. Other emotowerks chargers are purchased for either 380 or <240 ...

Ask EC. The normal eMotorWerks charger does not mention a 3 phase option for their lower voltage configuration, but may be an oversight. And anyways the DigiNow charger may be custom-made for the Zero bikes.

So .. back to ask EC : )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 05:15:59 PM »

Have you seen the fairing that Ripperton fitted to an SR?  It looks great, you would obviously need one with lighting though.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/zero-sr-race-mods-124073.html
Slightly off-topic...
What I'd really like is the combo of the DigiNow charger, a powertank, and a fairing that looks like this... It's an Aprilia RSV4 race fairing put on the bike for track use, and apparently only adds ~12kg to the overall weight (OK, I'd need the fairing to be slightly taller for comfortable sport-touring or highway riding rather than a full-on sportbike tuck).
This type of fairing may not add as much range as the fully-enclosed one Vetter's apparently working on, but the latter wouldn't be acceptable in my environment (need to be able to park on pedestrian sidewalks without adding a lot to the stock width/length/height of the bike).

camosoul

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »

Here is a photo of a Pre-Production testing model.

A year after it was "launched," I can't find a way to buy one, and the company that created it has no form of contact. Is this project/product dead?

My purchase of a Zero is contingent upon this product's availability. Zero's tank charger is unacceptable.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2016, 10:47:42 PM »

The project is not dead. I'm not free to share specifics, but they've been making design revisions that address various issues found during testing and from early customers. Thankfully the revisions are not expensive and turned out to be subtle.

I've updated the documentation to cover the interface for interacting with the control system, to help with the early customer adoption.

I do encourage DigiNow to issue regular (even defensively-worded) updates.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2016, 11:36:05 PM »

Is there any controller hookup documentation online yet? I'm still curious how charging via the controller goes.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 01:39:31 AM »

The controller connection is documented, and is not difficult, just needs the right (quality) hardware and extra operational awareness on the customer's part. The documentation is DigiNow's to release as they see fit.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2] 3