• April 29, 2024, 04:38:43 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Overheating?  (Read 722 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Overheating?
« on: November 13, 2015, 04:51:32 AM »

My daughter just called me to let me know that the 2012 ZF9 S that I gave her cut its power while she was riding on the freeway at 110 kph. (I have no idea why she has the instruments set to metric. I guess she likes to think she is riding her BMW R65LS.) She said the power was cut abruptly and then after a few seconds it came back on. She then got off the freeway and continued on surface streets.  On the way back from her errand she took the same route back home but didn't experience any further problems.  I asked her if any warning lights came on when the power cut off, but she said she wasn't looking at the instruments at the time.

Since I never had a similar issue with the bike when I owned it, could this be the result of motor overheating? It didn't sound like the "glitch" to me and besides the bike was "glitch-proofed" by the Zero recall update.   ???

The weather at the time was sunny, calm, 60 degrees F and the roads were dry.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

nigezero

• View Profile
Re: Overheating?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 05:28:03 AM »

Things that caught me out like that on my old one:
1)Fuses playing up at the rear of the battery pack. The holders can melt.
2)The sensor that plugs into the top of the motor housing popping out.
3)And my all time favorite, the fuse disconnect pull down switch not being locked in place. (nb this isn't on most later models, not sure if you have it. My '14 has a hidden, non resettable, hard wired fuse for inconvenience :))
4)Control wires dropping off the controller underneath (easy to check and fix)
5)Corrosion or improper connections
Pages: [1]