• April 29, 2024, 02:43:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Circuit breaker popping with onboard chargers  (Read 3848 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: Circuit breaker popping with onboard chargers
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »

My charger has been popping my circuit breaker as well, and it doesn't charge consistently.  When looking at the time to full it fluctuates minute-by-minute from 0 (not charging) to 2hrs (charging normally).  Getting it replaced ASAP with the new one.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 11:45:36 PM »

My charger has been popping my circuit breaker as well, and it doesn't charge consistently.  When looking at the time to full it fluctuates minute-by-minute from 0 (not charging) to 2hrs (charging normally).  Getting it replaced ASAP with the new one.

I noticed wild fluctuations in Amps and time to charge and just thought it was either the app or just the nature of the system.  Can someone confirm that this behavior means a bad charger?

Last night periodically I checked the charging to see if it would pop a breaker. Everything was fine for a couple hours.  I woke up and the breaker was popped.  I checked the charge and it was at 100%.  I plugged it in to charge and multiple times it popped.

LeftieBiker

• 42 Years of Motorcycling - 13 years with EVs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 11:26:51 AM »

Oh, man... I just bought a 2015 SR Demo bike, with 740+ miles on it, and had hoped that the bad charger issue was an out of the box type thing. Now I have to worry about the onboard charger failing at any point in time??? To make matters worse, there is no dealer near me - just two of them four hours or so away. Assuming the thing works when I get it, I may have to put it up for sale in the Spring. Sh*t! How difficult is DIY replacement of the charger?
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR
Too many electric bicycles to list, mostly EZIP

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »

Leftie was that the demo from GA?

LeftieBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 12:33:28 PM »

Leftie was that the demo from GA?

No, this one was from Elk Grove Ca. The Georgia bike interested me, but they were playing games - listing it on Ebay, then saying it was sold, then it showed up again on their own site, plus that dealer has a very mixed reputation.

So what do I do? I'm in poor health, and while I can replace a module on a good day, I can't tear the bike down and put it back together to replace the charger if they buried it. It's hard to stay committed to electric bikes when the quality just isn't there, and this bike cost me most of what I had in the bank. Anyway, someone asked if the external charger will work when the onboard one has failed, and I didn't see an answer posted to that...
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »

So what do I do? I'm in poor health, and while I can replace a module on a good day, I can't tear the bike down and put it back together to replace the charger if they buried it.

Separate from the other concerns, the onboard charger is accessible under the belly pan. So, thankfully, it's not buried. Hopefully someone has time to chime in with replacement experience.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »

This is the manufacturer's website.

http://www.greenwattpower.com/

Click on the catalogue link and you'll get a pdf that gives a little more detail of the offending article.  If I get round to it I might send them an email asking for more info about the issue and what they're doing about it. Apart from continuing to supply Zero with faulty chargers, that is.

LeftieBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2016, 04:36:32 PM »

Thanks for the info. If this is a bolt-in unit under the belly pan, with just a couple of connections, I should be able to handle it. Still...

I see in one of these several topics on this issue that there is speculation that arcing of the power connection when chargers are plugged in may be part of the problem. I tend to agree. The J-1772 connection used in EV cars goes to great lengths to avoid this, and not just to protect people. I was planning on using a surge protector with the bike's charger. I will also, as I do with my EZIP bicycles, use the switch on the surge protector strip to turn the charger on and off, leaving the cord plugged in, if I can find a second charge cord to carry on the bike. I'll also see if I can find a surge protector that advertises a "no arc" switch.
EV Ownership:

2001 Oxygen Lepton
2008 X-Treme XM-3000
2011 ZEV 5000LA
2015 Zero SR

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 05:14:30 PM »

"The J-1772 connection used in EV cars goes to great lengths to avoid this, "

Indeed, the design of the J-1772 (and associated Type 2) is really good and quite simple, the main power pins are far longer than the comms pin, so before the comms pin can tell the EVSE to start providing power all the power pins are pretty much engaged.

Arcing is bad, and can over time melt the IEC "kettle lead" socket, which can cause its pins to come lose.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 06:12:29 PM »

I reckon that's what happened to Ben on one of his adventures. I could do with an extension cord in my back garden so I'll get one like Leftie describes.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »

Hi all,

now after a great day filming and riding with the largest Zero gathering in Sydney so far my onboard charger seems to have packed in. popping the circuit breaker .... the external deltaQ works fine from the same outlet. not great as I was planning to go touring and "fast" charge with onboard + 2x DQs.... Guess now it is to get the replacement onboard installed ASAP.
what is your experience on Zero providing the replacement charger? how quick can we get it?
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »

my friends 2015 Demo S just had it's charger go bad today. kinda bummed...less than 3500 miles.  :(
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

gingerjet

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2016, 11:28:45 AM »

So out of the blue the Zero is now triggering the GFCI that it was plugged into.  Tried two more outside outlets and have the same issue.  Plugged into a non-GFCI outlet and it charges fine.  Hopefully not a sign of something bad to come.   

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 02:03:34 AM »

To prevent popped beakers, I always charge with a cheater plug.

Has that been covered yet?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 02:05:12 AM by Killroy »

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 03:03:30 AM »

Has anyone bothered to have an electrician check out the outlets you're using?  We discovered none of the three-prong outlets in our garage were grounded and that would be a DEFINITE issue.  I had him properly ground the existing outlets and run a dedicated 20 amp line to the garage which is where I plug my bike in now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 05:18:14 AM by JaimeC »
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: 1 [2] 3