• April 29, 2024, 07:31:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: fx spokes  (Read 925 times)

dvdwin

• View Profile
fx spokes
« on: November 12, 2015, 08:40:22 AM »

hello everyone, i have been reading this forum for a few months now...i purchased an new zero 2014  fx  in august this year, and it has been great.  i had a kawasaki 250 endure before this and let me tell you....the difference in power is night and day. anyways i broke a couple spokes on the front rim and was wondering what usually causes that.  i take it off road a lot but was wondering, they seem to have snapped off from inside the threads on the rim..2 in a row, but none others.

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: fx spokes
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »

My Zeros have broken two spokes so far - one front on the street-only bike (still broken) and one rear on the dirt bike (replaced two weeks ago).  Both snapped right where the threads meet the straight section.  These spokes' threads seem shorter than others I've seen, which makes me wonder if the spoke threads are bottoming on the nipples during initial tightening and being overtorqued.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

dvdwin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 09:18:53 AM »

should it be ok to still ride in normal conditions?  do you think if i bring the wheel to a zero dealership, they should replace it under warranty?

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »

Both my rims were fine despite the broken spokes, but that was just one per wheel... two right next to each other may lead to a flat spot there and/or broken spokes on the opposite side of the wheel, as you know.  The parts-ordering and repair process will surely take some time, so it's up to you if you want to keep riding on it; if you do, I'd definitely keep a close eye on the rim and all remaining spokes and inspect both after every ride, along with increasing front tire pressure and avoiding square-edge impacts. 

I'd also contact the Zero dealer ASAP to let them know, and have them order the new spokes right away - I'd get 4 extra for each wheel as spares, the L and R spokes are different on each. The warranty specifically excludes "wheels on off-road bikes once they have been ridden" (page 7.3 of the manual), so you'll probably have to pay for them - they're about $4 each.

On a related note... as long as the dealer will be placing a Zero parts order for you, you might want to look your bike over and see what other parts you might need spares of, to possibly save down time in the future.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

dvdwin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 10:50:52 PM »

thanks for the great advice, i will get the parts ordered.
Pages: [1]