• April 29, 2024, 02:41:19 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Storage Box Key Lock Alternative?  (Read 951 times)

scottwstevenson

• View Profile
Re: Storage Box Key Lock Alternative?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2022, 08:03:35 AM »

I did this very shortly after getting my 2020 DSR...

Put in a combo cam lock with matching cylinder diameter.  <--- Matching the cylinder diameter is important so that the lock fits in the hold for the existing lock.

It was a lock like these: https://www.amazon.com/Kitmose-Combination-Password-Combi-Cam-Important/dp/B08YR334C4/ref=asc_df_B08YR334C4/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=507816205664&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5195635333620930138&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012119&hvtargid=pla-1226701985003&psc=1

NOTE - I don't know that those linked will match the existing lock cylinder diameter per se, so you'd have to measure. (Not a biggie if if's off / wrong, of course, as they are so cheap.)  I just used the existing cam / arm (these are universal for these style locks - they just differ in terms of length), so you'll not have to worry there when finding a lock.

Soooo convenient to not have to deal with the key all the time to get in and out of storage.

-Scott

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2022, 04:36:55 PM »

That's a cool one, didn't know those exist. Probably not ideal for me when I ride in the rain and my bike gets left outside at work but could work for those in dryer climates (or does the original rubber cap stay securely on that new lock?).

peterwarm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2022, 11:25:57 PM »

Brilliant set of answers.
I'm afraid I bodged mine almost as soon as I got he bike: Its clear nonsense to stop the bike to open either tank or tail space when out and about.  I removed the keyways from the lock (apart from the end one which holds the barrel in) and found a key that was a stiff fit, so they are always unlocked.
Security not an issue for me because a) I've got a chargetank and b) the tail seat holds my permanently connected charging leads (a la remmie)
This is what I joined the forum for!
Nov 2019 Blue SR/F  doesnt like rain - 2 rebuilds now Ok
Windscreen / 12kW Charge
Underseat 13A(UK) and Type2 cables
SRS pegs / keyless rear seat and tank hatch
... fairing......?

Belokan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 02:21:28 AM »

Hello,

Maybe a stupid suggestion ...
But as S/DS/FX do not have a 12V battery and as once the key is off there's no power at all, could it be possible to install a electric/magnetic lock ?
Just place the control button on the handlebar or on the storage box itself. It will only open if the bike is "started" and will become totally ineffective if the key is not present or on off position.

Correct ?

scottwstevenson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2022, 07:55:26 AM »

That's a cool one, didn't know those exist. Probably not ideal for me when I ride in the rain and my bike gets left outside at work but could work for those in dryer climates (or does the original rubber cap stay securely on that new lock?).

I faintly remember the rubber cap on the old lock. You could probably find one like that, but this lock is sealed pretty well (I might have added a rubber piece to ensure that, but can't recall as it was so long ago now).  I've never had a probably with water leaking in (and I've ridden in the rain as well and had the bike on my truck when hauling an it got wet for hours).

As I said, it's a minor investment and if you buy and it doesn't work you can send it back.  (I have done a few locks like this for my Jeep, toolboxes, etc - things where I just didn't want to  have to fish through my already oversized key ring to find the right key. Seemed this was just about the best case for that issue and I'm surprised that Zero didn't offer that as upgrade / accessory, TBH.)

-S

TheRan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2022, 04:41:15 PM »

I faintly remember the rubber cap on the old lock. You could probably find one like that, but this lock is sealed pretty well (I might have added a rubber piece to ensure that, but can't recall as it was so long ago now).  I've never had a probably with water leaking in (and I've ridden in the rain as well and had the bike on my truck when hauling an it got wet for hours).

As I said, it's a minor investment and if you buy and it doesn't work you can send it back.  (I have done a few locks like this for my Jeep, toolboxes, etc - things where I just didn't want to  have to fish through my already oversized key ring to find the right key. Seemed this was just about the best case for that issue and I'm surprised that Zero didn't offer that as upgrade / accessory, TBH.)

-S
I was more worried about corrosion making the lock hard to operate than water actually getting inside the storage compartment. The place I work uses combination padlocks that are exposed to the elements and they can become hard to operate sometimes, and those are designed for the conditions. Having a closer look through the listing I see that they say it's supposed to be weather proof and rust resistant so perhaps it would last.

scottwstevenson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2022, 07:32:13 PM »

-S
I was more worried about corrosion making the lock hard to operate than water actually getting inside the storage compartment. The place I work uses combination padlocks that are exposed to the elements and they can become hard to operate sometimes, and those are designed for the conditions. Having a closer look through the listing I see that they say it's supposed to be weather proof and rust resistant so perhaps it would last.

Yeah, I hear you on locks not doing well in the elements.  (You can't just cut this one away like a pad lock if it gets stuck!)     It's such a quick and cheap fix, you could change it out annually, or when the tumblers seems to be stiffening up, and still have less inconvenience than having to mess with an extra key.  Mine is doing just fine after over a year's time.

99% sure this is the lock (size) I used:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W7DBWA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

And there is a dust cover that can be put on (which I just ordered myself, actually): https://smile.amazon.com/Frank-J-Martin-7850-DC-Combi/dp/B004ONNA42/ref=pd_bxgy_1/134-0011743-8395275?pd_rd_w=2wndu&pf_rd_p=6b3eefea-7b16-43e9-bc45-2e332cbf99da&pf_rd_r=JCKCVY775V1ZKM8DZ5E4&pd_rd_r=494b1d67-359e-4562-898a-1ff990098995&pd_rd_wg=lOd8m&pd_rd_i=B004ONNA42&th=1

-S
Pages: 1 [2]