• April 28, 2024, 05:03:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2014 Zero fx or 2016 fxs?  (Read 2726 times)

Nomad

• View Profile
Re: 2014 Zero fx or 2016 fxs?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:37 PM »

Let me address some points made here.
Yon, I do ride in the center of Israel close to Tel-Aviv, BUT my ride is about 1/3 slow traffic filtering, 1/3 medium traffic lane splitting at ~80Kph, 1/3 low traffic lane splitting at ~100-110 (on highway #4).
Your hard statement about not being able to ride above 50Kph is wrong, at least in my case.
Curb riding? Not for me or anyone I know. I do need to go (slow enough) up curbs here and there, but the discussion about at which speed you can take on an "Israeli" curb is not relevant.
Regarding offroad: I come from enduro background, mainly a Husqvarna two stroke. The offroading that I really want to do is 12 hours (5:00am till 5pm) of woods/rocks/hillclimbs, and for that I just don't have the time (Family and kids), plus no Zero can do that. So for now I'm looking for a commuter bike. Being able to do SOME offroading is a bonus, but not a must.

Cortezdtv, regulations here state that you can have whatever rubber you want to put on, as long as it's size (diameter, width etc..) is the same as originals and it's highway certified. So most dual sport/offroad tires are OK. True enduro tire would not be highway certified, but most dirtbikes put them on anyway. Changing wheel size is illegal (for example putting FXS wheels on FX).

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »

What is the penalty? Obviously you just said dirtbikers do it?  Do you just change before registration/inspection if you have it? Or get pulled over and fined?

I kinda figured the curb thing wouldnt have mattered but, I mean to say the bike cant hit a curb is a litttle outlandish....

You could do the fxs and out a dual sport in it it would handle pretty food offroad!

But for the price difference its a no brainer for me buy the 14

Also any parts that they make for 15s 16s and further on will bolt into the 14and up bikes si you could turn it into a more modern bike when the battery is toasted 5-10 years later.... That cant be said with the previous bikes
Not saying the battery would even be close to bad at that tine...

5am-5pm sounds like alot of swapping batteries; but in reality the bikes CAN do it if you had 6 batteries and charging

I was riding from 9am to 630 yesterday....
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2016, 06:00:38 AM »

grmarks... I appreciate your need to argue your point with me. Unfortunate as it is. Truth is you're not here and haven't a clue the extent of our traffic. The central region is as densely populated as Hong Kong. If you're riding here in the city, the central region is one city melting into another. Good luck going any faster than 50kmh, there is no opening up the throttle so despite 40C summer heat, there is no real chance of overheating on the asphalt. I enjoy riding my SR and routinely find myself navigating between cars where I'd prefer the additional height of the FX. Riding offroad, that depends where you live but the soft sands surrounding Tel-Aviv do not favor my Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires.

True I have never been to Israel, but I have been to Hong Kong, Bangkok and Taipei. I think those places have traffic! Yon you like the FX for its off road ability and dual sport nature, thats fine. I love my SR because I use it 100% on road for city, suburbs and open freeway riding. So if you and I had the choice that Nomad has you would pick the FX and I would pick the FXS. Nomad just needs to decide which of us is closer to what he does. But bear in mind that the FXS can go off road as well, just not to the extent of the FX.   

Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 11:40:10 AM »

Nomad did not mention offroading in the original post  and intends to do zero offroading on his Zero - be it the offroad Zero or the not offroad Zero.

But seriouly, I care about the following:
Price to resell price difference
Time to sell the bike
Braking distance/stability/overall safety
Ride comfort/ traffic filtering
Minimum "down" time for service, break downs
No overheating on 37C summer days (short ride, 75Kg rider)

I dont care so much about:
Range (need 30km daily)
Offroad abilities

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 05:09:34 PM »

Nomad did not mention offroading in the original post  and intends to do zero offroading on his Zero - be it the offroad Zero or the not offroad Zero.

But seriouly, I care about the following:
Price to resell price difference
Time to sell the bike
Braking distance/stability/overall safety
Ride comfort/ traffic filtering
Minimum "down" time for service, break downs
No overheating on 37C summer days (short ride, 75Kg rider)

I dont care so much about:
Range (need 30km daily)
Offroad abilities

Given what you just said, its a no brainer, FXS is best for you and thats the consensus of all but one.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 06:17:58 PM »

What do you guys think? Are the changes between 14fx and 16fxs minus 12,000 Km on the odometer worth 2,800$?
Odometer not concerning.

If you sold the bike in two years, you'd probably recover most of the $2800.

Ignoring the FX vs FXS: suspension, brakes, battery, and new motor design are worth it alone.

Ignoring the year: a FXS works better for you than a FX (or would for me if I had similar needs), and many FX owners in similar boats spent more than $2800 to convert their FX bikes to supermotos.

This seems like an easy choice.

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 09:51:21 AM »

I'd be worried about that FXS being wrecked and repaired. I spoke with the seller, said he dropped the bike. Something doesn't add up. If it was an FX I'd drive up there to see, but the Supermoto has no advantage in the city, unless vertically challenged, and can't be ridden offroad. FX offers weekend fun. Not sure how a used bike has a new warranty, I think maybe they're offering additional warranty on used Zeros they sell.
About that "wrecked and repaired" claim for this specific bike.. I pm'd you with no reply. This is a serious  allegatiaon. Please share any details you know (best in private). Thanks.

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 01:32:21 AM »

No claim, common sense. Why does someone sell a bike after a month for what, fifteen thousand less?

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 01:36:16 AM »

No claim, common sense. Why does someone sell a bike after a month for what, fifteen thousand less?

because it didnt fit their needs.

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 02:45:46 AM »

Real cordial here are we not. Seems everyone thinks they know better. Didn't fit his needs... so why buy it in the first place? I spoke with him, have to cross that off. The market is good here for Zeros, they're selling at list. If someone is offering a month old FXS for sale at less than the price of a year old bike its a sure sign that all is not as it appears.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 03:03:51 AM »

Real cordial here are we not. Seems everyone thinks they know better. Didn't fit his needs... so why buy it in the first place? I spoke with him, have to cross that off. The market is good here for Zeros, they're selling at list. If someone is offering a month old FXS for sale at less than the price of a year old bike its a sure sign that all is not as it appears.

Or its possible the year old bike you're comparing it to is overvalued.

Theres a FX on ebay I keep looking at..  its a 2014 with supermoto wheels in NJ... but his price is 1k shy of a brand new IPM motored FXS.  If he lowered it down to something realistic, I would probably have already bough it... but with the price going down every year faster than "standard depreciation" some people have their used bikes priced way too high.

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 03:20:12 AM »

We're talking about an FXS in Israel. It's a closed market, meaning you can't just buy a Zero on ebay and import it.
Pages: 1 [2]