• April 28, 2024, 01:21:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Xmas Trials Issues :(  (Read 970 times)

Graemelawrie

• View Profile
Xmas Trials Issues :(
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:58:55 AM »

Evening everyone and Merry Xmas.

So I finished for my short holiday and whats the first thing you do - get the bike out!!

Unfortunately it seems that my battery is empty and now my charger will not start.  I have a new EM 5.7 and It has run beautifully all summer.  It has been about 4 weeks since I last used it and I may have left it on :( doh!

I've checked all connections and everything is sound, but the battery is showing a low voltage 11.7V - it is a 48V machine.  I have tried everything I can think of but not touching it.  I've tried the 48V charger on my sons bike and all is well - starts up straight away.  So it must be the battery.

Anyone got any advice as to how to move forwards. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Graeme

KrazyEd

• View Profile
Re: Xmas Trials Issues :(
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »

If the other bike is also 48 volt, and, you can get a parallel connection, you might
be able to "wake up" the battery. Old trick with lead acid batteries. Lithium batteries
seem to have a " off switch " which disables their ability to charge once below a
certain level. I have seen videos of people " waking up " long dead cell phone batteries,
but, not sure how successful this would work with a pack. I have a similar issue with
a 48 volt E Bike battery pack. It was only down to 36 volts, and, it won't charge.
I tried another 48 volt pack in parallel with no luck ( yet ). Hopefully, yours will be better.
Merry Christmas

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »

The spec's for an EM 5.7 states that they have a Lipo battery. I'm no expert, but making a parallel connection with two Lipo's of a very different state of charge is generally considered to not be a good idea, because of the rush of current from the higher to lower voltage battery.

With some experience using Lipo batteries on RC vehicles and E-bikes, 11.7v is considered dangerously low for a 12 cell Lipo(I'm guessing that might be what the EM 5.7 has). The recommended range for a Lipo cell is 2.8-4.2v, so assuming your 48v battery is made up of 12 cells, 33.6v would be the lowest.

Do you know if the battery has a BMS(battery monitoring system circuit board), 'cause a BMS is s'posed to prevent a battery made up of multiple cells from draining below recommended voltage levels?

Does the bike have a voltage meter telling you that the battery is 11.7v, or did you measure it with a multi-meter? If, by chance, the battery is made up of a configuration like 4 lots of 3 cells(i.e. 4 x 12v in series = 48v), then hopefully you got the 11.7v from reading just one lot of 3 cells, in which case 11.7v would have each cell at 3.9v, which is close to a full charge of 4.2v.

The guys on https://endless-sphere.com/forums/ might be better suited to help you.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 11:32:53 PM by BenS »
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

Graemelawrie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 01:38:46 AM »

Thanks everyone. Yes it does have a BMS but obviously did not do the trick ;(. its within warranty so I guess that's the next course of action.  Thanks and Happy New Year.

Graemelawrie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:40:04 AM »

P.S Yes I used a multimeter :) The battery is one unit but so many wires going in and out of it I don't want to mess with it.

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 05:48:35 AM »

Yep, that's probably the best thing to do if it's still under warranty, take it back to the shop and get them to sort it out. 4 weeks isn't that long, so I feel that the battery shouldn't be too bad.
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)
Pages: [1]