• April 29, 2024, 01:46:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I'm taking the plunge!  (Read 2507 times)

Lipo423

• View Profile
Re: I'm taking the plunge!
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 10:33:05 PM »

This is great news, congratulations…you said it is your 4th bike this year, and you are still married???
Please, do me a favor, when your wife is asleep, extract a little blood (a few drops is enough), and ship them to me…we need to clone her!!!

;D ;D ;D

As already pointed out by other members every bike has his place…however when you try a nice electric bike everything else becomes noisy, chunky and bulky…

You will definitely enjoy the DS. It is a great bike  ;)
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 01:43:09 AM »

Thanks Lipo. My wife is pretty special for putting up with me. She must have a rare bikers wife gene! Have no doubt that I'll be in deep doo doo if I even think about getting another bike next year.

Cortez, I'm not sure if the crash bars will stay on. Or if these particular ones had them in the first place. I'll be sure to post a couple of pictures when I get it.

MegaJustice

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2015, 09:57:49 AM »

Best thing you can do is get it. I can tell you about Switzerland because I live here. You'll experience it and know. I commute on my Zero every day, I'm sad when it rains and I drive. Otherwise, from 90 degrees to 18 degrees, I ride my Zero. Best part of my day. Can weave and take less common routes home, saves time and off the line, smokes everything.

I don't do as much pleasure riding, no long trips, sure those are great. I have two kids so I get my kicks with a 4 hour kitchen pass from the wife. Enjoy, don't look back.

MostlyBonkers

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »

Thanks MegaJ. 18 degrees Fahrenheit must bite a bit! I work in Celsius and stop riding when it gets down to 3 or below. I worry about ice, although the roads I commute on are well used so I probably shouldn't.

I take it you own an SR? I doubt I'll be able to leave much traffic in my dust riding a DS. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the NC750 I rode over the summer though.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »

Thanks MegaJ. 18 degrees Fahrenheit must bite a bit! I work in Celsius and stop riding when it gets down to 3 or below. I worry about ice, although the roads I commute on are well used so I probably shouldn't.

I take it you own an SR? I doubt I'll be able to leave much traffic in my dust riding a DS. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the NC750 I rode over the summer though.
MegaJ posted previously that he bought a S.

I think the coldest I've ridden was -14C, but I don't ride at all in icy conditions.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 12:24:56 AM »

I also rode in -14C temperatures, but usually don't ride if ice is a possibility.  Just wanted to see if it would run with no problems (which it did). 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 12:46:19 AM »

I also rode in -14C temperatures, but usually don't ride if ice is a possibility.  Just wanted to see if it would run with no problems (which it did).

-10F here, with no plastics less tank, and heated gloves / jacket liner going on HIGH ;) No issues other than battery draining faster than it would if it was warmer ... granted at this time I had my controller cover in place to keep it warm.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 12:57:48 AM »

And you can always rent an ICE bike for the weekend if you plan to do a long ride.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 01:35:43 AM »

-10F here, with no plastics less tank, and heated gloves / jacket liner going on HIGH ;) No issues other than battery draining faster than it would if it was warmer ... granted at this time I had my controller cover in place to keep it warm.
Did you make that controller cover your self?

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 01:49:19 AM »

I have ever not made something myself? lol

You can find most of my projects documented here in my signature link ;) Here is the direct link from the list in the signature link.

The cover has no retaining screws and simply snaps into place ;) It kept the controller the same temp as my ventilated motor and the battery when temps were under 25 so it worked well. Wouldn't be hard to make your own but be careful with the sheet metal it is sharp :D

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4274.msg27778#msg27778

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 02:36:24 AM »

The coldest I have ever done is 0C but that's likely to change this winter. Last winter I had a vehicle to fall back on and it was a lease so my philosophy was use it while you have it.

This winter no car. Just my 2014 Zero S equipped as follows:
Zero Windscreen
Barkbusters handgaurds
Zero heated seat
Oxford heaterz hand grips
Gerbing 12V EX Heated Gloves
Gerbing 12V Heated Socks
Gerbing 12V Permanent Dual Temp Controller
Gerbing 12V Hybrid Heated Insoles
Gerbing 12V EX Heated Jacket
Gerbing 12V EX Heated Pants

All the Gerbing gear is new purchased from Revzilla on sale for black Friday. I just installed the temp controller for all the Gerbing gear over the weekend.

It's not all that cold yet...about 4C this morning... the ride was toasty!

The only thing that will stop me from ridding this winter will be snow or ice (or possibility of it). In that case it will be light rail/bus or Uber or car rental (for extended periods of snow/ice).

Here's to hoping for a mild winter!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 02:42:47 AM »

And you can always rent an ICE bike for the weekend if you plan to do a long ride.
I have done this. The only place near me that rents is Harley.  Took a Harley Ultra Glide on a 1700 mile trip. Talk about night and day from the Zero!

After the trip I got home and my head felt like it had been in a paint can shaker...it gave me a whole new appreciation for my Zero! Light! Agile! Quiet! No vibration!

I was a little surprised the Harley didn't ride better. For a bike that is marketed as a "see the country" bike it was really viby at hwy speed....tickled my nose the whole trip!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 04:09:32 AM »

I have ever not made something myself? lol

You can find most of my projects documented here in my signature link ;) Here is the direct link from the list in the signature link.

The cover has no retaining screws and simply snaps into place ;) It kept the controller the same temp as my ventilated motor and the battery when temps were under 25 so it worked well. Wouldn't be hard to make your own but be careful with the sheet metal it is sharp :D

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=4274.msg27778#msg27778
Yeah maybe it was a bit more of a rhetorical question :D Gonna favourite the link, it sure looks like a nice addition.
If my Zero ever arrives I might build my own for the winter and maybe even do a 3D model of it so other people just can print it.

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2015, 07:14:34 AM »

Yeah I can't really make anything to offer as my bike was modified from a size 4 to a size 6 and the frame was cut to do it ;)

But I can take other pictures if you want ideas. It is riveted together, no screws.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »

Yeah I can't really make anything to offer as my bike was modified from a size 4 to a size 6 and the frame was cut to do it ;)

But I can take other pictures if you want ideas. It is riveted together, no screws.
I'll send you a message when my bike arrives.
Pages: 1 [2] 3