• April 27, 2024, 10:19:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Improvement possible for 2017 ZERO  (Read 8931 times)

BenS

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Improvement possible for 2017 ZERO
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 09:57:32 AM »

Lol, just a slight misunderstanding, but we're all sorted now! Yes, I know what you mean by needing a decent turning circle for squeezing between the front and back of two cars; the first time I tried it on my GSXR, which has a very large turning circle, I nearly clipped the car in front!
2015 FX 5.7, DIY Electric "Jesse James" chopper bicycle, and DIY Electric 26" Lowrider bicycle. ('10 KTM 530exc, '06 GasGas EC250, '06 YZ450F, '06 GSXR1000.)

modeselector

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »

I would like to see:
- faster charging option
- LED headlight
- a rear shock splash guard for the DS
- updated app

ZEM Tahiti

• Zero Emission Motorcycles & Scooters Tahiti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 02:54:32 AM »

Totally OK for LED headlight, even for all llghts : tail light, turning light. All LED, coherent with high tech product and better for battery range.
Some more ideas:

- Transmission belt: even if it  seems to do a great job, a wider belt would look much better. It will avoid some comments like "is it a washing machine belt?"
- handlebar bending for S/SR: would love a flatter one.
- sleeker and stiffer front fender for DS/DSR, body color.
ZEM Tahiti stands for Zero Emission Motorcycles in Tahiti. Our island size is perfect for the electric range.

jef.jakobs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 08:23:01 AM »

I'd like to see the brake light turn on when using regenerative braking. Thinking that should be an easy improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wavelet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »

I'd like to see the brake light turn on when using regenerative braking. Thinking that should be an easy improvement.

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I wonder if an EV cars do this?

The importer for Å koda cars (a Czech make, now part of VW) in Israel in the late 1980s developed a system (called ABW, for Advance Brake Warning) which would turn the brake lights on if the driver suddenly released the accelerator pedal, presumably just prior to actual braking.
Local studies showed that that would typically provide an additional 0.5sec+ of response time to following drivers.
I'm not aware of other cars that did this.

Erasmo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 01:21:50 PM »

Some EV cars do. If you really want to have it you can mod your Zero quit easily to do it.

odedmaz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 01:37:16 PM »

My 3 top wishlist upgrades and innovations -
1. Enduro ready FX. Stock ready for heavy duty off road.
2. Slow Reverse mode. A function reserved for electrics only.
3. Emergency belt repair kit. Hurleys have it. It should be enough to drive slowly home instead of waiting for a tow, or replacing belt outdoors.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:39:44 PM by odedmaz »

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 04:02:56 PM »

Technically you can already do that, I had both my 2013-S and my current 2015-SR set up as follows.

Switch your bike to Custom mode (Eco on earlier bikes).
Set engine regen to 0
Set brake regen to 100

Set the front brake up so the brake switch is engaged slightly before the pads contact the disk.

Now when you want to regen, just squeeze the brake slightly, you'll get regen, without actually engaging your brakes, but your brake light will come on.

Simples. ;)
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 04:07:37 PM »

Right now, the main improvement I'd like to see is to the damned app.
Or give us an API so we can develop our own.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 07:27:44 PM »

Right now, the main improvement I'd like to see is to the damned app.
Or give us an API so we can develop our own.
An API would be ideal.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 03:44:44 AM »

Set the front brake up so the brake switch is engaged slightly before the pads contact the disk.

Good idea. Could you spell that out a little more or maybe point us to an explanation or how-to video?
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

yhafting

• View Profile
Re: Improvement possible for 2017 ZERO - brake lever lock
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2016, 04:09:12 AM »

Well, you could always carry a brick around with you.   ;)

I got the zero brake lever lock when i bought my bike:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_4&products_id=205&zenid=i1gv9js7dps9hu2er5li6fsbs5

I haven't had much use for testing it just yet, as my bike is parked in our shed for the winter. Does anyone have experience wether it is a fair solution or not?

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 10:29:32 PM »

I got the zero brake lever lock when i bought my bike / Does anyone have experience wether it is a fair solution or not?

I've used mine four times, during transportation (2 - 4 hr drives one way) - it worked fine.  IMO it applies the right amount of pressure; more than enough to lock a stationary wheel, but not so much that I worry about the seals etc.  I've never used it as a parking brake, though.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 10:43:12 PM »

As far as setting up regen to Zero for trailing throttle, with full regen for braking adjustment,
there is a screw adjustment on the front lever. Just adjust the brake as loose as you feel comfortable,
the, adjust the screw to activate the brake light as early as you feel comfortable. I have mine set
VERY light. sometimes comes on and off with a very rough patch of road.
That being said, I don't believe that is what was being asked. If I am riding down the road, and, roll off
the throttle, it would be nice to have the light activate just from that action. Lots of electric cars got
rear ended early on because they were using regen without the brakes. Cars following didn't realize
that they were slowing down. I am guessing that some sort of additional switch and second light could
be set up so that when you roll off, the switch activates the second light. This way, the car behind
sees a brake light. Then, you can set your regen however you wish, independent of the second brake light.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 11:35:38 PM »

As far as setting up regen to Zero for trailing throttle, with full regen for braking adjustment,
there is a screw adjustment on the front lever. Just adjust the brake as loose as you feel comfortable,
the, adjust the screw to activate the brake light as early as you feel comfortable. I have mine set
VERY light. sometimes comes on and off with a very rough patch of road.

Thanks, I see what you mean now. I'd considered the screw adjustment only for ergonomic positioning (reach).

That being said, I don't believe that is what was being asked. If I am riding down the road, and, roll off
the throttle, it would be nice to have the light activate just from that action. Lots of electric cars got
rear ended early on because they were using regen without the brakes. Cars following didn't realize
that they were slowing down. I am guessing that some sort of additional switch and second light could
be set up so that when you roll off, the switch activates the second light. This way, the car behind
sees a brake light. Then, you can set your regen however you wish, independent of the second brake light.

I'm using a GearBrake for this purpose, but adjusting its mounting angle is a fiddly and indirect way of getting that effect. It does feel like it works, though, judging from driver reactions.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5