• April 29, 2024, 09:35:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FX Rear Signals and Fender - Quick removal or replacement for off-road?  (Read 4136 times)

acacia1731

• View Profile
Re: FX Rear Signals and Fender - Quick removal or replacement for off-road?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 12:02:32 AM »

My tail light replacement is now fully installed and working (as described in posts above).

If anyone is reading this and considering a similar setup, there is one additional thing I might consider if I were to do it again...

12 O'clock Labs makes an upgrade board that adds brake light flashing (similar to http://gearbrake.com/), and integrates turn signaling into the tail light.
http://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=49

This board easily drops into the Edge 2 tail light assembly linked above, and I think it would significantly add to the visibility/safety from the rear.  The benefits of a flashing brake light have been covered in other threads, but GearBrake doesn't make anything for the FX.   Ohio law still requires separate (amber) turn signals, but the integrated turn signaling would be a great supplement to the small flashers I used, which are bright but can get lost next to the bright red brake light.

Here's a video example:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 12:58:54 AM by acacia1731 »
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

Ranga

• 2015 Zero FX 5.7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2016, 09:33:16 AM »

The benefits of a flashing brake light have been covered in other threads, but GearBrake doesn't make anything for the FX.   

That's actually not exactly true.  I've spoken with their customer support. Their Zero module will work perfectly with an FX, but they recommend against it simply because of its offroad nature.  Jumps and hard bumps can trigger a false positive, and cause a miscommunication with anyone riding behind you.  But you can still buy one and hook it up.
2015 Zero FX

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2016, 07:58:29 PM »

The benefits of a flashing brake light have been covered in other threads, but GearBrake doesn't make anything for the FX.   

That's actually not exactly true.  I've spoken with their customer support. Their Zero module will work perfectly with an FX, but they recommend against it simply because of its offroad nature.  Jumps and hard bumps can trigger a false positive, and cause a miscommunication with anyone riding behind you.  But you can still buy one and hook it up.

Thanks for clarifying - I didn't remember all the details of that thread.  I'd probably still choose the upgrade LED board due to the turn signaling capabilities, but it sounds like GearBrake would also be a great option for someone who was sticking with the stock lights.
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

acacia1731

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 06:12:15 PM »

I was able to mount the new assembly using the stock fender's screw holes, so no mods were required to the fender and nothing is visible from the top.

Update - still happy with the custom light assembly pictured above, but I'm having trouble with the screws.  Two of the four screws going into the fender were missing last night, after about 200 miles of riding, even though they were tightened as much as possible without stripping the plastic.

Anyone have experience securing screws into plastic?  Some type of Locktite?  Worst case I may have to drill all the way through and use locking nuts, with the screw heads showing on top of the fender.

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »

Anyone have experience securing screws into plastic?

Yes - and hanging loads are very different than top loads supported underneath by the fender. I'd use Heli-Coils or stainless studs JB-Welded into the fender thread towers (the JB Weld will also help prevent the towers from splitting down the road).

I wouldn't use Loc-Tite myself, although certainly try it if you want.  The most likely reason the screws loosened up & fell out is because the plastic threads deformed from the bouncing taillight load; Loc-Tite probably won't address this problem, at least not permanently.

Ray

'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes
Pages: 1 [2]