• April 29, 2024, 08:16:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero fx ABS question  (Read 1727 times)

Nomad

• View Profile
Zero fx ABS question
« on: January 24, 2016, 01:00:48 AM »

Hi,
I've recently took a couple of zeros ('15 fx and '16 fxs) for a short test ride, and was really disappointed with the brakes.
On good dry asphalt and stock tires, ABS engaged early and braking power was very week.
On the fxs unit, rear braking was especially poor and only gradually slowed the bike down (ABS kicking and jolting).
On the other bike (the FX) rear was better, but still very poor.
Front braking was lacking too.

This was my first experience with ABS equipped motorcycles. Currently I ride on a Yamaha tricity 3 wheel scooter (150kg) and without ABS it's braking is far superior than Zero's that I got to test.

Is this a known issue with Zero fx/s on stock tires? Can the ABS engagement be tuned?
Perhaps I come with too much expectation from a low center of mass scooter with 3 wheels? (excluding the FXS rear brake. That was definitely faulty).

These Zeros have so much power that I feel I must have the braking power to match.
Thanks.

edit: the FX was actually a 2015.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:26:38 AM by Nomad »

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Re: Zero fx ABS question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:01:42 AM »

You can turn the abs off or pull the abs fuse. My Zeros stop just fine. I've had to test the limits too while riding in the city.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 03:03:24 AM »

Sometimes it can take several hundred miles of riding before the brake pads break-in.  Also, it appears from reports that the ABS system in the 2016 Zeros do tend to cut in much earlier than on other motorcycles.  Perhaps they will fix that issue in 2017?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:46:41 AM »

Just swap out the brake pads. Nothing more needed. Good friend bought an FXS in December.
I tried the FXS a couple months ago and it stopped on a dime. I could easily put the tail up with the front brake and rear was nearly as strong. It's a blast to ride, unfortunately my commute couldn't be tackled with only 2 batteries.

Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »

Thanks for the replies. ABS engaged immediately when I was braking hard enough, so I can't fault the brake pads. It must be either ABS/Tires. Also, the FX did have ~500 miles on it.
Yon, was the ABS on? Stopping on a dime and pulling stoppies sounds fantastic.

mguw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 05:29:18 PM »

Hello

On  my 2015 fx,  riding at 90km/h I can stop on the dry with ABS only in 34m.  Switching the ABS off,  I can stop in 21m if I manage well.

Bottom line,  my abs is off except on wet cold roads

A+ Marcel

Nomad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 03:14:39 AM »

Thanks for that info mguw.
So, perhaps I'm expecting too much from ABS? Anyone else rides with their ABS in dry conditions?

Yon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:56:09 AM »

I seem to recall the ABS being on initially. The FXS has, what I'd call, an oversized front brake rotor with some real bite. The rear brake has always been a little weak but at anything other than a full charge you also have a bit of braking assist from the motor. The brakes on the 2016 models, and for that matter 2015, are a dramatic improvement over 2014. I've owned and ridden all. They do their job. It think you may not be comparing apples to apples. You're likely more confident hitting the brakes on your motorcycle, for one, its yours, and secondly the feel is different with 3-wheels. I'd strongly recommend the 2016 FX for all around fun and the FXS is you don't plan playing in the dirt. Just thinking, the brakes may be somewhat glazed if a demo bike that others played too much on. Easily serviced, fixed by the dealer.
Pages: [1]