• April 29, 2024, 04:05:30 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Kickstand turn  (Read 1215 times)

yhafting

• View Profile
Kickstand turn
« on: March 13, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »

To whoever wonder (I did, until today  ;) )
The 2015 SR may be turned on the kickstand.

I'm not saying whether it is advisable or not (I'll leave thet to zero).

I had a go today, and it works, although the bike is a bit heavy in front of the kickstand due to the battery placement. I would guess some will find it easier than me, as i am not the biggest or strongest, however smaller persons (i'm around 181cm, 67kg) may find it difficult to get the front up, especially if they have the power tank or something else adding weight up front. Until i have perfected the technique i guess it is faster to back up and turn for me, however it is nice to know that i can always get it around as long as there is enough space for the bike to pivot.

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstand turn
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:46:59 PM »

I turn my Brammo Enertia on its kickstand all the time.  I'm pretty sure it's safe on most bikes as it's usually bolted or welded to the frame.
2010 Brammo Enertia

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:34:34 AM »

My recollection is that Zero specifically designed their kick stand to be strong enough to support the bike while you pivot it around.  Apparently that is a design feature that is left over from their dirt bike roots (where you sometimes get stuck in a narrow track and have to make a hasty retreat.   ;)  )
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:18:28 AM »

I tried it before and it does not seem practical as other motorcycles I have owned.  I will have to try it again. 

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:42 AM »

My recollection is that Zero specifically designed their kick stand to be strong enough to support the bike while you pivot it around.  Apparently that is a design feature that is left over from their dirt bike roots (where you sometimes get stuck in a narrow track and have to make a hasty retreat.   ;)  )

Holy crap I would not try that, even on the fx
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 09:31:30 AM »

I used to do that all the time for years on all my bikes. The only bike I ever had an issue with, was my Ducati 749 and 999. They had cast aluminum kickstands that were basically pot aluminum. Once I reinforced that kick stand it worked perfectly.

CrashCash

• Denizen of Doom since '88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 02:47:41 AM »

So is this "get off the bike, grab it at each end, balance it on the stand, and pivot it"?

Or is this some fancy stunt maneuver that I'm way too uncoordinated to even think of?
'07 FJR-1300 & '15 Zero SR

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 01:58:04 AM »

So is this "get off the bike, grab it at each end, balance it on the stand, and pivot it"?

Or is this some fancy stunt maneuver that I'm way too uncoordinated to even think of?

It is the basic, not some fancy stuff.  However I'd say balancing it on the stand can be tricky enough though; especially if the stand is placed slightly higher than the front wheel (if you put a slab of somekind underneath the stand to avoid it sinking in gravel or to avoid destroying the floor...)

The real questions behind this would be-
1: is the kickstand strong enough
2: is the bike balanced well enough for me to do it

For me i'd say both is OK, but i struggle a bit with 2 when using a ~2 cm thick slab to avoid putting marks on my wooden terrace.

Pages: [1]