• April 28, 2024, 02:59:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Handlebar de-uglying  (Read 1071 times)

PhreaK

• View Profile
Handlebar de-uglying
« on: April 02, 2016, 12:01:06 PM »

Since I got the SR (and saw Harlan's) I've been wanting to do a bit of a neaten up on the front end. Well this morning the neighbour reversed into it while it was charging a messed up a few things. The throttle is minced and the forks have rotated in the tees when it fell over, but the rest seems to be cosmetic damage only. Thankfully I've already got another full set of fairings on order to go from my black plastidipped red set, to actual black (it was cheaper than painting / wrapping). I'm getting the local dealer to check for anything more severe as part of my insurance claim, but I'm thinking this may give me the excuse I've been looking for give it a bit of an upgrade.

I'm looking at a set of drag bars from Exile Cycles and fitting them with a grip ace and internal throttle. I can then run this to potbox like the Curtis PB-8 in the 'tank' area which will give me my 0-5K out. Mode toggle and stop switch would also get a new home on the tank. One issue I have is I need to go from the 7/8" mounts on the stock triple tee to the 1 1/4" for the Excile bars. Does anyone know of any existing solutions for this before I look at getting something machined?
2014 Zero SR

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
Re: Handlebar de-uglying
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »

That's a bummer about the damage, but it sounds like the bike will be looking better than ever soon.  Those Exile bars have a really clean look that's perfect for electric (I think I've seen those on custom choppers at MC shows).  The potbox is a great idea too - I'd love to have one with a 5K reverse-audio pot, to generate a little front wheel anti-grav... :)

Here are a couple places that might have what you need, or close to it  (TT definitely ships international, not sure about Rox Speed):

http://roxspeedfx.com/collections/adv-dual-sport-dirt-bike-handlebar-risers/products/1-1-4-block-offset-risers-for-7-8-or-1-1-8-handlebar?variant=1031362021

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?product_type=Handlebar+Risers&q=bar+adaptors

It's too bad the SR didn't use bolt-on risers like the FX, there would be so many more options for Harley-type 1 1/4" risers.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »

The pot boxes are not as reliable as a normal throttle.
Also not all of them are waterproof

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 01:27:43 PM »

Any suggestions for a higher quality alternative? Not overly worried about waterproofing as intending to mount in the 'tank'

Also, I've managed to find a few suppliers of internal throttles for 7/8" and standard 1" bars so don't need to build the custom 1 1/4" inch mounts, but can keep that clean look.
2014 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 04:54:35 PM »

After 3 failures, I couldn't find one that lasted. I then tried to make my own. Even though I used an oem TPS sensor, I still ended up with issues from it.

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 07:06:30 PM »

Here's the pot source I've used for all of my custom / unusual pot needs -  State Electronics.  I've gotten hundreds of pots from them over the years, with never a problem.

The industrial feedback pot systems I've worked on generally used very large pots (fist-sized) with strong mechanical-limit stops and thick resistive tracks, along with low-tension belt drive, rubber mounting of the pot itself, and sometimes slip clutches.  If a normal consumer-grade pot is to operated via cable using full wrist / forearm strength, I'd strongly suggest rubber-mounting the pot at the very least so it can twist slightly at the extremes of rotation, and preferably adding a small spring to limit WOT force along with a fairly weak return spring. Pots generally don't like being repeatedly forced full on or off (even slightly), heavy vibration, etc. unless they're designed for it (which I'm sure EV-throttle built-in pots are).  The stainless mil-spec RV4 units State carries have pretty robust end stops and tight shaft clearance; I've seen them continue to work under incredible abuse.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 08:23:10 PM »

The curtis pot box will work. The pb-8

Not sure why would you would ever want to add a cable and everything rlse to make the pot box work in a bike when the throttle is IMO better....

^^^^ and im not sure how mich i agree with
Having used both the curtis pb6 on my old kart and the pb8 on the 13 and newet kart b(3 wire vs 2 wire inputs)

They are more than durable!!!! We are constantly at WOT and have never had s pot box fail if bought from a reputable source. ( i had one that I accidentally bought oin ebay instead of from thunderstuck ev it arrived doa)

The box located on the steering. Column of one kart and on the tray/frame rail of the other surr take the abuse and vibration just as good as a throttle!!!
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:41:58 PM »

+1 on the durability aspect if the box designer knew what they were doing, and used top-quality components.

Not sure why would you would ever want to add a cable and everything rlse to make the pot box work in a bike

In a world where there was a good selection of quality electric throttles - and owners were allowed to program their own custom throttle curves - I agree 100%.  Unfortunately we're not there yet, so here are my reasons (and assuming good design & reliability as above):

1) different pot tapers available for anything from new-rider training to 1/4 mile (existing tapers can also be modified by adding
    resistors, which can be very effective)

2) different mechanical throttle tapers (some twist-grip units have interchangeable cams with different contours, for even more control;
    the pot-actuator lever angle relative to the cable pull can also be tweaked)

3) multi-control (several resistive alements ganged on a single shaft can control all sorts of stuff simultaneously)

4) ruggedness (no one plans to go down hard, but if you do, IMO you're better off with a metal throttle & cable connection to remote
    electronics  rather than a plastic shell over plastic gears turning a tiny pot)

5) freedom of location out of harm's way and the weather

Ray
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:54:59 PM by rayivers »

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 12:49:03 AM »

Since I got the SR (and saw Harlan's) I've been wanting to do a bit of a neaten up on the front end.

This thread needs pictures ;)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

rayivers

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 02:42:57 AM »

Ray
Pages: [1]