• June 05, 2024, 08:25:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What Custom Settings are folks using?  (Read 3846 times)

Semper Why

• View Profile
Re: What Custom Settings are folks using?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 04:33:31 AM »

That is the system that Vectrix developed and used on their scooters, I suspect that they probably have a patent on the design.
IIRC, it's the same system on the Lightning. At least, according to the episode of Jay Leno's Garage I found on YouTube.

zr2ee

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »

I think it would be a really cool firmware upgrade to allow a mode where backing off the throttle increases the regen from 0 to 100%.  I have read that other electrics use this approach.  It allows you to coast when you want by keeping a neutral throttle and also lets you "break" by just backing further off the throttle.  Seems logical to me.  I'm not sure why Zero has not taken this approach.

Steve

I've thought about this too and i think it would be a great approach if you could have progressive regeneration by rolling the throttle forward. Seems like it would save on brakes, trick would be getting on the brake lever while your rolling the throttle forward in which case your idea sounds pretty good unless you tied both brakes to the foot lever.

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 02:28:59 AM »

Question to people riding with 100% regen on brake.
I tried this and it seems like a slight tap of the brake level will immediately brake hard with the rear.
Aren't there cases where you want to brake lightly?

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 03:58:11 AM »

I am running 100% regen when my front brake lever is moved.  The regen comes on before the front brake is operated and slows the bike down slowly.  If I want to brake faster, I just put more pressure on the brake lever until the brake pads are doing their job and then my bike slows normally.  It works just fine for me.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »

I was wondering what folks might be using for Custom settings?  I have my torque dialed back a bit to 80% and 100% regen on both normal and breaking.  Has anyone had issue with 100% regen causing a loss of traction when decelerating in wet conditions?

Man I love riding this thing (DSR purchased last month).

Steve

On my 2015 SR i currently i have dialed in something close to

6% regen
66% brake regen
66% torque
maximum speed

This seems nice for commuting after having had my licence for a week now- a little more response than eco, but very controllable and relatively forgiving throttle response.
I tried 100% brake regen and 0 throttle of regen- but that seemed too jerky for my taste in dense traffic & splitting lanes.  I'd like to regen as much as possible when braking, but to avoid getting rear ended i figured id like to be able to go in soft. I'm pondering if it would be nice if the brake regen would gradually increase from 50% to 100% over 3-5 seconds or so. 

I don't see any particular reason for my own sake to reduce the maximum speed- it is not likely that i will reach maximum on the roads i travel, but if i like to have the freedom of choosing. What would be nice would be having 45km/h as a limit to be allowed to practice as a moped before i got my license..   :P

:)

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 07:11:41 AM »

I still have my custom settings at around 70% power, 60% regen, 100% brake regen, 102mph top speed. At first I tried 0% regen with 100% brake regen, but I did not like how abruptly the brake regen kicks in this way.

After approximately 500 miles now since buying my SR, I think I might increase the power to 100% or close. I find myself reaching for the Sport" mode more often lately, but I like more regen on braking that I can get with custom.

I don't think new-ish riders should use over 65-70% power on an SR for at least several hundred miles. I think it takes some time for the brain to develop a feel about how fast the SR will be going after just a couple of seconds of full acceleration, and might not be able to appreciate how long it will take to slow down or stop. Or to take a corner at higher speed might be more than a new rider could handle. I've gotten surprised a few times, but I think I've adjusted enough now to have a good feel for the bike. With such quickly accelerating bike I had to learn to look way farther ahead than I have to look in my sluggish car...

'15 Zero SR

laramie LC4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »

mine is an eco-eco mode + letting someone else test ride mode.

i have it set at 40% MAX torque and HP, top speed limited to 60 MPH, both regen's @ 100%.

with this i get roughly 15% more range, never use the brakes in traffic, and still have enough power to shoot most gaps. nice when i know/worry about range.

i would love to set it to zero % regen and just coast silently, but the pay back for the braking is worth it if doing anything other than racing or sneakin gup on people.

laters,

laramie  ;)
ZERO- '16 FX-S
KTM- 990R, 525EXC

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 05:12:08 PM »

I think it would be a really cool firmware upgrade to allow a mode where backing off the throttle increases the regen from 0 to 100%.  I have read that other electrics use this approach.  It allows you to coast when you want by keeping a neutral throttle and also lets you "break" by just backing further off the throttle.  Seems logical to me.  I'm not sure why Zero has not taken this approach.

Steve

According to the owner's manual for my 2016 S, that's EXACTLY what Zero is doing.  You only get regen when you completely close the throttle.  Holding the throttle partially open allows you to coast.  From experience, that seems to be what is happening.  I have 100% regen set for my custom setting, and I only see (and feel) it happening when I completely close the throttle.  If I hold it even a little open, it just coasts.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

Manzanita

• 2014 Zero S Woodland, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 02:50:33 AM »

2014 Zero S: I've turned brake regen to zero because I don't like the jerky response. I have motor regen at 30% which is a good compromise as far as coasting--usually I can see red lights ahead and slow down slowly without having to brake until I get close; with the motor regen at 100% it would slow down too fast.

Originally I thought having motor regen at 100% would best mimic an ICE bike, but then to maintain the same speed you have to fine tune the throttle opening. I like having less drag and more coasting, and rolling through turns is smoother and easier.

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 04:12:50 AM »

2014 Zero S: I've turned brake regen to zero because I don't like the jerky response. ...

I get jerky response when I start at the top of a hill with a full charge.  My solution is to switch to sport mode until it reads 99%, which seems to give it enough headroom on the charge to prevent it from pulsing. 

It doesn't seem to be as bad since I did the 4000 mile service recently.  That included a ($50) firmware update.

our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 04:40:28 AM »

FWIW, my ICE bikes slow down a HELL of a lot quicker than my Zero (even at full regen) when I roll off the throttle.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 04:54:55 AM »

FWIW, my ICE bikes slow down a HELL of a lot quicker than my Zero (even at full regen) when I roll off the throttle.

ICE engine braking is best done at low RPMs, though, where you're not stressing it (probably clutch plates mainly) as much. I try to use a higher gear.

After a while, I've gotten used to the 0-100% regen step using the brake lever. Linearity would be nice, and hopefully I can achieve that soon (finally).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 06:37:47 AM »

ICE engine braking is best done at low RPMs, though, where you're not stressing it (probably clutch plates mainly) as much. I try to use a higher gear.

After a while, I've gotten used to the 0-100% regen step using the brake lever. Linearity would be nice, and hopefully I can achieve that soon (finally).

Take Reg Pridmore's C.L.A.S.S. for a full demonstration of what he calls "TM" (Throttle Management).  Run in a LOWER gear to keep the revs up (most people are afraid of getting anywhere near redline, but you won't break the engine running it there).  Don't just CHOP the throttle but roll it on and off.  You can easily negotiate most race tracks at a surprising rate of speed without ever touching the brakes this way, and it DOESN'T stress the driveline at all.  Again, the secret is SMOOTH operation.

I carry that same philosophy over to my Zero and it's working just fine.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 06:52:09 AM »

meanwhile I clutch up wheelies, match rev downshift on the street to slow, use a slipper clutch for the track, etc..

I still get 80k miles to a clutch (unless its a ducati)... And then I just change the clutch.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »

Literally: different strokes for different folks.

I'm comfortable riding a V-Strom which gets cruising torque from 2800-3300 RPMs. I've put 55k miles on my first V-Strom, 16k on my second, and probably 15k on a small collection of gas bikes. I ride very smooth and have worked out my clutch and throttle technique and can power shift as I feel appropriate. I ride dirt roads, not race tracks, and I like taking it easy while being focused. I suppose I subscribe to the "Total Control" school of thought, (casual?) adventure touring techniques, and David Hough's series.

I think we both know what we're doing, but have different goals. I'll certainly replace my "best" comment with "easily". No one makes you rev high or low - you do it there because you like it that way for whatever your riding priorities are.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4