• April 29, 2024, 03:05:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dealer "fees" and other "charges" (not tax, title, registration)  (Read 2021 times)

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
Re: Dealer "fees" and other "charges" (not tax, title, registration)
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:09:07 AM »

The dealer did have to do some work.  He had acquired a laptop to do some initial setup of the bike via software provided by Zero.  Not sure what assembly was required. 

All in all though, very happy with my dealer so far.  I was his first Zero customer...

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 03:42:15 AM »

I was charged $450.00 for shipping and $169.00 for dealer setup for my new DSR purchased last month.

Steve

That seems to be about the going rate around here, but watch those "set up" charges.  Many dealers use them to generate extra profit and I have seen "set up" charges ranging from $150 for a small scooter to $1000 for a very popular and expensive IC model at the same dealer. When it comes to Zeros, I am not sure what "setting up" dealers actually have to do.  I am pretty sure Zeros come out of the factory fully assembled and the only thing the dealership has to do is to wipe off the dust, roll it into the showroom and plug in the charger to top off the battery.   ::) 

I suspect that most of these "fees" are actually creative ways of generating extra profit over the vehicle's MSRP that are dreamed up by the dealers so as to not have to explain their price gouging.   ::)  If they tried to hit me up with any fee that was mysterious and didn't make any sense, I would pin them down and ask what government agency is requiring these fees, what they are for, where does the money go (in other words does it go directly to the state treasury or to the dealerships office party fund?) and ask them to show you the law that requires the payment of these fees if you are not satisfied with their answers.  ;)

I dont know about zeros, but most imported motocycles are in a metal crate. it takes a bit to unbolt the crate, put the bars on(or rotate clipons), lift the front, and put the wheel on, same for the rear, and then clean it all up.

For years (before they went out of business) I watched my Zero/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer bring bikes into the shop.  They arrived fully assembled on a flatbed truck, were off loaded in the street and rolled right on to the showroom floor.  I guess it is possible that they contracted with an assembly company to set up the bikes for them before delivery, but their "setup" fees sure differed for each model and seemed to have a direct relationship to the popularity of the model and how many they would receive that year. In other words, the setup fee varied with the demand and supply, leading me to believe that it was mostly an "extra profit" fee.    ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 07:23:21 AM »

I was charged $450.00 for shipping and $169.00 for dealer setup for my new DSR purchased last month.

Steve

That seems to be about the going rate around here, but watch those "set up" charges.  Many dealers use them to generate extra profit and I have seen "set up" charges ranging from $150 for a small scooter to $1000 for a very popular and expensive IC model at the same dealer. When it comes to Zeros, I am not sure what "setting up" dealers actually have to do.  I am pretty sure Zeros come out of the factory fully assembled and the only thing the dealership has to do is to wipe off the dust, roll it into the showroom and plug in the charger to top off the battery.   ::) 

I suspect that most of these "fees" are actually creative ways of generating extra profit over the vehicle's MSRP that are dreamed up by the dealers so as to not have to explain their price gouging.   ::)  If they tried to hit me up with any fee that was mysterious and didn't make any sense, I would pin them down and ask what government agency is requiring these fees, what they are for, where does the money go (in other words does it go directly to the state treasury or to the dealerships office party fund?) and ask them to show you the law that requires the payment of these fees if you are not satisfied with their answers.  ;)

I dont know about zeros, but most imported motocycles are in a metal crate. it takes a bit to unbolt the crate, put the bars on(or rotate clipons), lift the front, and put the wheel on, same for the rear, and then clean it all up.

For years (before they went out of business) I watched my Zero/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer bring bikes into the shop.  They arrived fully assembled on a flatbed truck, were off loaded in the street and rolled right on to the showroom floor.  I guess it is possible that they contracted with an assembly company to set up the bikes for them before delivery, but their "setup" fees sure differed for each model and seemed to have a direct relationship to the popularity of the model and how many they would receive that year. In other words, the setup fee varied with the demand and supply, leading me to believe that it was mostly an "extra profit" fee.    ::)

Yeah they must have been setup somewhere else first. No manufacturer of ships bikes on a flatbed truck.

gingerjet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 11:18:24 AM »

I was charged $450 for freight, $45 in doc fees (the cost for the dealer to file the required paperwork), and a setup fee of $295.  The freight appears to be around the going rate.  Depending on who you go with it could be a bit less or a bit more for shipping a bike down the coast.  One can argue with the setup fee but the dealer checks out that the bike is operational, does any software upgrades, and makes any requested adjustments.  I don't mind paying for better service so it didn't seem excessive to me.  The dealer was open and upfront on everything and they were preparing another bike for pickup as I was putting up the down payment so I saw what they were doing.   

The state of California take was $1039.  But $900 of that comes back in a rebate check in a few months so thats mostly a wash. 

gman669

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »

I know 2 of the three dealers in Colorado don't charge any fees at all besides tax and registration. I walked out with a demo fx 5.7 for $10,300 out the door.
2015 Zero FX
Lots of gas powered stuff...

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »

When I purchased my new DSR ($450.00 shipping + $169.00 setup), the dealer offered me his demo DSR for no fees (no shipping or setup).  I elected to get a new one since there were a few scratches on the demo.  Just an FYI...

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Pages: 1 [2]