• April 28, 2024, 03:59:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: '13 FX tail tidy and LED lighting  (Read 876 times)

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
'13 FX tail tidy and LED lighting
« on: April 10, 2016, 01:11:41 AM »

I ride my FX off road as well as on and was tired or tearing off rear indicators and their lenses.  They hold up astonishingly well to abuse, even dragging across rocks, but ultimately do get destroyed.  I also replaced the taillight, front indicators, and headlight with LED to avoid broken filaments.  This is a quick and dirty install so I might go back and redo it more cleanly eventually but it's alright for now.

Here's the bracket, made from some thin steel strip I had around, riveted together and screwed into the lens.  I had this amber LED strip on hand too so this was a free upgrade for me.  When I redo this I want to be a bit more clever about making the LED strip look more continuous and clean.

Not sure what to do with the holes left behind from the removed indicators.  Might take the Dremel to it and cut some of the bodywork away.

From the beginning I've always mounted my plate from the bottom holes which cleans up the tail a ton.

It looks washed out by the taillight in photos but in person they're very bright and distinct, even with the brakes on.  Very happy with the result!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:16:52 AM by LiveandLetDrive »
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

acacia1731

• View Profile
Re: '13 FX tail tidy and LED lighting
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:00:32 AM »

Nice work, and good idea for the license place positioning using stock hardware!  That does look much better.
2015 Zero FX (off-road setup), 2013 KTM 250SX, Kuberg Cross Hero, STACYC 16EDrive

Killroy

• View Profile
Re: '13 FX tail tidy and LED lighting
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:28:53 AM »

Better use some had signals too. 

Red turn signals take a couple of blinks to for people to get the idea.  I'm not a fan of them on bikes or Cars.

Hand signals are good for redundancy anyway. 
Pages: [1]