• April 28, 2024, 04:09:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tail removal  (Read 1923 times)

PhreaK

• View Profile
Tail removal
« on: September 19, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »

I'm currently in the process of blacking out my SR and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the lower section of the tail plastic without damaging it. There's a couple of hex bolts which hold the stop light in, but they're in a super awkward position. Before I go to far down this route, is the the best way to do it (drop the black plastic below which wedges it up against the rear subframe?
2014 Zero SR

PhreaK

• View Profile
Re: Tail removal
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:51:12 PM »

P.S. heres a photo for clarity. The rest of the bike is now black, however the under-side of the tail (shown with arrow) is still the stock red colour as I couldn't remove it. Doesn't looks horrible, but I still want to black it, preferably off the bike so I can do it properly.
2014 Zero SR

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:39:16 AM »

Hi,

here's a picture of the tail section off the bike.
I remember it came off rather difficult.

There are 5 screws (missed the one at the rear at first) and then it still holds on to the frame with clips.
I don't know if i remember correctly but i think the license plate holder and the 2 black pieces underneath the bottom tail section need to come off as well.

hope this helps
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

remmie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 01:39:42 AM »

and 1 from the bottom side
Current : Red Premium Zero SR/F (ordered May 25, delivered August 23 2019) with Rapid charger for 12kW charging
Former : White Zero SR 2018 ZF14.4 kWh (17.500 km)
Former : Black Zero SR 2014 ZF11.4 kWh (25.000 km)
SR's outfitted with Homemade "Supercharger" 6x eltek Flatpack S (12 kW)

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:23:31 AM »

Thanks remmie. I got the screws and noticed the clips. It's the black section underneath that wedges this on that I couldn't work out. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Zero SR

RodChile

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 01:42:38 AM »

Try heating does bolts with a soldering iron or somethingso you can break the loctite seal that is making you force them.

Regards from Chile!

PhreaK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »

Ok, so my new black fairings have arrived and I'm stuck with this tail removal again. I had been running with red underneath until now, but that's got to change.

The bottom of the tail fairing is wedged between the tail light and the subframe. From the best I can tell, you need to remove the tail light, which will then allow removal of the plastic surround the runs down the side of the Sevcon next to the seat. I've tried removing the 2 x torx screws directly on the back of the tail light but this doesn't create any movement so I'm almost certain it's the 2 x hex nuts that sort of come up from underneath (position circled in the attached photos).

The problem is, these ain't budging - I've had an long allen key with an equally long lever I rigged up on these and it's just bending. I get the feeling these might have similar amounts of locktite on them to my original seat bolt (which had to be drilled out). As they go into the (plastic) tail light getting some heat into them is going to cause things to melt. Before I commit to this (and possibly a new tail light), can anyone confirm this is definitely the way to get this freaking tail section off?
2014 Zero SR

rayivers

• electric feels so right
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 11:35:13 PM »

I can't really help with the tail mounting - the '14 FX setup couldn't be more different, just a subfender and top fender.  The two bolts shown in your photos definitely look worth removing though, just to be sure.

Re the LocTite etc. - I've used my impact gun on nearly every single disassembly I've done on my Zero so far, so now I keep it with the bikes so I won't be tempted not to use it. :) Yesterday it got the RH footpeg-mount bolt out that had been drenched in blue LocTite and fought hard to the last thread, there's no way I would've gotten it off intact without the gun (the keyway looked perfect afterwards).  The gun has come in handy now and then on my other bikes, but on the Zeros it's been essential.

Ray
'14 Zero FX 5.7 (now 2.8, MX), '14 Zero FX 2.8 (street), '19 Alta MXR, '18 Alta MXR, various '74 - '08 ICE dirt bikes

WoadRaider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 12:31:44 AM »

I'm currently in the process of blacking out my SR and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the lower section of the tail plastic without damaging it. There's a couple of hex bolts which hold the stop light in, but they're in a super awkward position. Before I go to far down this route, is the the best way to do it (drop the black plastic below which wedges it up against the rear subframe?
Hey PhreaK, I'm doing the same thing but I haven't quite got the top section off yet. Do I just need to use a S screwdriver to take out the lower screws or is there something else I have to do? And if you ever figured out what was holding you up that would be helpful as well.
perspective, use it

ticobrahe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 10:16:07 AM »

same boat.

i have zero factory pdf instructions emailable if interested... dm me an email address and ill send along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Zero SR
2016 Honda CRF250L
2011 Triumph America

Patrick Truchon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »

I just successfully replaced the tail plastic on my 2013 DS.  I didn't document the removal because I was fumbling around, but I documented the reassembly.  I think it can be followed in reverse but I'd need someone else to check.  Here's the link:  http://zeromanual.com/index.php/Unofficial_Service_Manual#Tail_Plastics

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:50:55 AM by Patrick Truchon »
Owned:  2013 Zero DS (now dead)
Test rode:  2014 Zero S, SR, 2015 Zero FX, 2016 DSR and FXS
http://ptruchon.pagekite.me/
Pages: [1]