• April 29, 2024, 02:35:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ZERO's early adopter buy-back program a scam ?  (Read 1251 times)

Leluya

• View Profile
ZERO's early adopter buy-back program a scam ?
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »

Riding a 2011 Zero MX, but looking for an upgrade.

I learned that Zero offers an early adopter program where they would buy-back my Zero MX for 3000 USD , if I buy a new Zero. First I thought this could be attractive, then I looked into the fine print.

1) Program is only valid for 2014 inventory; meaning you have to purchase a new 2014 model (if you still find inventory) to take advantage
2) I learned that the 2014 MSRP is roughly 2000 USD more than the equivalent 2016 ???? HOLD ON: I pay 2000 USD more for an older 2014 version with less features to become part of the early adopter program???? When asked Zero to make sense of this, the response was that the production costs were higher on the 2014 model than on the 2016 model. This doesn't make any sense !!! Its like saying the Apple iPhone 5 costs 200 USD more than Apple iPhone 6 because production costs were higher.

Clearly Zero has to improve on their net promoter score, otherwise customer loyalty will become an issue.(or is already) While I was (and probably still am) a big fan of electric cars (recently bought a Volt) and bikes, I have some issues with Zero and there policies.
In any case, I decided to sell my MX for whatever I can get for it and switch to a different brand and probably have to go back to combustion. Zero did not convince me that there model is the future.

Any thoughts from others on this?

Cortezdtv

• View Profile
Re: ZERO's early adopter buy-back program a scam ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 10:05:09 PM »

Be happy they would even take your mx.....  The deal if for street legal bikes only.... They told me to kick rocks a few times....
"I keep it real!"
Not endorsed by:
Zero motorcycles

07 Electricross
And a family of pre 14 Zero X's

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:09:20 PM »

The buyback program was definitely not a scam.  They made significant upgrades in 2014 (ie - costly) to reduce the costs of making future bikes, hence the higher cost of 2014's vs. 2016 bikes.  This is well known, and there are several articles about the factory upgrade.  Zero is a small company, so any changes they make to the bikes requires a huge amount of effort, whereas large bike manufacturers can retool relatively quickly and at a smaller relative expense.

The buyback program gave value to their previous motorcycles, whereas trying to sell one will probably not net you much money.  Anyone who reads this forum knows not to buy a pre-2013 bike because the reliability improved and standardization of parts started in 2013. 

Giving a considerable discount on 2014 bikes and collecting pre-2013 bikes made sure there were more motorcycles that they could support easily, and got low-speed and low-reliability motorcycles off the road. 

Sounds like they were completely honest with you.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 12:49:57 AM »

The value of EVs is going to be strange for awhile.

The most expensive part of any EV, by a large margin, is the battery. Motor, frame, etc are cheap. Battery is more than half of the cost in some cases.
Battery costs are dropping constantly right now, as mass production kinks are worked out, and more batteries are made to meet market demand.

This means that an electric bike that costs 12,000 one year.. can be sold for 10,000 a year or two later with the same markup.
So then the seller has a choice.. keep the EV cost at 12,000 and pocket the cash, or lower the cost of the EV so they can sell to a broader market.

Zero was nice enough to lower the cost. It brings them closer to being cost effective compared to a gasoline bike...  but it means anyone with an older model paid more... and just lost some used value.  sucky side effect, but its the situation.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:47:02 PM »

NEVER pay MSRP even if it is the same year.

I paid $4000 off MSRP out the door in 2015 for a slightly used demo 2015.

The 2014 does not have the Showa suspension, so maybe its worth $10,000 new.  So you should be paying net $7000 when you trade in your Zero.  If they don't want to play ball, just let there old inventory sit on the dock and rot until they want to sell it.  There are dealers all over the country with rotting inventory.  Wait until the cold, dark winter when no one is even setting foot in a motorcycle store.  That is what I did and I had it shipped to me from Alabama to California. 

Electric vehicles have really fast depreciation because they are getting so much better every year.  More range, faster...

Its not that the 2014 is bad, just the 2016 is so much better.

Doug S

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 08:01:14 PM »

Electric vehicles have really fast depreciation because they are getting so much better every year.  More range, faster...

Its not that the 2014 is bad, just the 2016 is so much better.

Dude, the 2016 SR has about 10% more range than my 2014, and its acceleration and top speed are essentially identical. The REAL differences are the suspension and brakes (yes, I know, better tires, but that's only until the first set wears out). While those are substantive, the suspension and brakes on my 2014 are quite adequate.

What point are you trying to make by exaggerating wildly?
There's no better alarm clock than sunlight on asphalt.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 05:00:28 AM »

I completely agree that Zero's depreciate quickly having traded my 2014 SR in on a 2016 SR. The reason is dealers are concerned about being able to sell them so they are going to price them at a point where they are confident they will get them to sell. Which means you aren't going  to get much for your trade-in. If you look at Kelly Blue Book, trade-in on a 2014 SR w/o PT is listed as $9380.00. Not likely you will get even close to that unless your dealer sells a lot of Zero's. Of course you can always try another dealer but then you have to decide how much time and money you are willing to spend trying to get  a better deal. Zero's dealer network is pretty thin in places.
Pages: [1]