• April 29, 2024, 05:15:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Best bang for the buck FXS or DS/DSR  (Read 2905 times)

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
Re: Best bang for the buck FXS or DS/DSR
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2016, 03:03:23 AM »

did a quick ride this morning  on my RX3 Conway North Conway Intervale Bartlett Bear Mountain Road the kangamangus highway back down into Conway through Albany, Eaton back to Center Conway it was about 75 miles so from this I believe I need DS or possibly DSR as looking at this ride was one of my shorter rides. And the only charging  would have been in my own town. Of course the whole time I was thinking man the FXS would be one hell of a fun ride.
Zero soon, 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear p, 1995 GL1500SE

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »

I believe I need DS or possibly DSR as looking at this ride was one of my shorter rides. And the only charging  would have been in my own town. Of course the whole time I was thinking man the FXS would be one hell of a fun ride.

The Zero S that I was loaned balances better than my DSR and I was nervous i.e. taking the S down concrete steps or hooligan moves over center divider curbs. The Zero DSR goes pretty much wherever I want to go and some places I probably shouldn't be as well, but it is more likely for the suspension to unload and dump me off the bike when backing out of a parking spot or trying to dismount or even just a quick stop at very low speed with any kind of turn angle at all. Also I can't possibly flat foot the Zero DSR with just me 5'10" height as the rider and regular sturdy shoes.

Key to figuring out this is that really either the SR or DSR are probably what you want, and they're priced right about equally, so it's going to be wise to get the one that matches what you're going to do with it and if you plan to also get an FXS that's important to think about too.

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »

Thanks for that info.
seat height is really not a concern I am 5'11" with 33" inseam. Most dirt bikes and dual sport seats are around 35" + unless you lower them. So over the past 48 years of riding I have gotten use to compensating for not being able to flat foot. It is a trade off you have to pay for suspension travel.

My main concern is riding distance, and distance from charge to charge. This will be a change of riding style for me, I usually get on the bike and ride only get off to relieve myself, many times I don't even stop to eat. So I will have to get use to stopping to smell the roses or charging stations along the way.

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 09:46:19 PM »

DSR is now my aim, but now how to set it up w/wo  power tank, charge tank, skip both go with supercharger or an another combination.

Daily ride the DSR alone with Givi bags would be ideal but may just go with top case.
 Weekend rides and trips I take, I think the supercharger is a must have. I am not sure but I think I would keep it external.
 Is the power tank really worth the few extra miles??

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 01:00:42 AM »

Power Tank on a DSR sounds sketchy in terms of adding weight high on up. Would go for SR if doing Power Tank or mounting Diginow SuperCharger higher up than tank area.

Power Tank most useful features make the most sense on SR not DSR.

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:52 PM »

The SR does not meet my riding or riding style at all. There are plenty of dual sport bikes that are top heavy. I would think the weight up high would hurt the SRs handling just as much as the DRs.

The power tank does however as you state add around 44 lbs. up high, I do not know what the charge tank or the supercharger weigh.
I do not believe I would want the supercharger built in anyway as I would not need it most of the time just on trips. Also if I were to get another Zero I could use it on more than one bike.

Does one need the charge tank and supercharger??
is the charge tank a waste of money if buying the supercharger??

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2016, 07:42:05 PM »

The power tank does however as you state add around 44 lbs. up high, I do not know what the charge tank or the supercharger weigh.
I do not believe I would want the supercharger built in anyway as I would not need it most of the time just on trips. Also if I were to get another Zero I could use it on more than one bike.

The Super Charger is about 25lbs.  I'll weigh it later for more exact data.

In my opinion...yes, it is a waste to buy a charge tank if you are getting an SC.  If you already had a charge tank and you wanted an SC for more charging I could see keeping the charge tank rather than selling it.  However, it's a lot of money to spend if you know you are buying an SC.  The only scenario where you could use both would be situations where you had access to two J1772 plugs.  There are cheaper options out there if you want to cover yourself for that scenario.  Namely, you could get an Elcon.  You should see some pop up for sale used pretty soon.  I think @benswing said he is planning to sell one or both of his and there will be others for sale too I'm sure.
2014 Zero S

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 08:10:32 PM »

The Super Charger is about 25lbs.  I'll weigh it later for more exact data.

In my opinion...yes, it is a waste to buy a charge tank if you are getting an SC.  If you already had a charge tank and you wanted an SC for more charging I could see keeping the charge tank rather than selling it.  However, it's a lot of money to spend if you know you are buying an SC.  The only scenario where you could use both would be situations where you had access to two J1772 plugs.  There are cheaper options out there if you want to cover yourself for that scenario.  Namely, you could get an Elcon.  You should see some pop up for sale used pretty soon.  I think @benswing said he is planning to sell one or both of his and there will be others for sale too I'm sure.

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »

np.

One other thought.  It might seem crazy now since almost no one even has an SC yet but eventually someone is gonna do it...TWO super chargers.  It can be done and gives you a lot more flexibility than an SC and a charge tank would.  You could have one installed in the tank area on the bike and a second in a top box.  This is really a solution for someone with a lot of money to burn or someone who has other EV's that the second SC can be used for when its not needed on the Zero (since the SC can be programmed for pack voltages other than the Zero's).

Or maybe for someone that has more than one Zero.  For example, if you had a Zero SR with an SC installed in the tank and you had an FX or FXS and using a second SC to for that....on the occasion where you really need the extra charging capability you could put the second SC in the Zero SR top box.
2014 Zero S

mrwilsn

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »

Many people are saying the Zero batteries can handle up to a 5C charge rate.

But beware if you are going over 1C.
2014 Zero S

Zen

• Conway, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »

np.

One other thought.  It might seem crazy now since almost no one even has an SC yet but eventually someone is gonna do it...TWO super chargers.  It can be done and gives you a lot more flexibility than an SC and a charge tank would.  You could have one installed in the tank area on the bike and a second in a top box.  This is really a solution for someone with a lot of money to burn or someone who has other EV's that the second SC can be used for when its not needed on the Zero (since the SC can be programmed for pack voltages other than the Zero's).

Or maybe for someone that has more than one Zero.  For example, if you had a Zero SR with an SC installed in the tank and you had an FX or FXS and using a second SC to for that....on the occasion where you really need the extra charging capability you could put the second SC in the Zero SR top box.

I don't think I will go to that extreme but then again who knows
Pages: 1 2 [3]