• April 29, 2024, 01:18:51 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Belt Tension (Getting tighter?)  (Read 2774 times)

Say10 15FX 16FXS

• View Profile
Re: Belt Tension (Getting tighter?)
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 03:34:59 AM »

I think all model swing arms, axles, are identical.

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 03:40:30 AM »

If I am not mistaken, the torque value for the axle nut is 72 ft-lb.

I bought a belt tension gauge from Amazon for $115 (OTC 6673). A little pricey but probable cheaper then taking it to the dealer to adjust the belt tension which seemed very tight. My motto is "you don't always get what you pay for but you always pay for what you get". The rear end of my 2015 Zero S was raised off the floor and the tension was 100 lbs or 45 Kg. Before loosening the axle nut I painted white dots on the frame and nut so that I would know exactly how much to tighten the nut. After loosening the axle nut I turned the bolts 5 flats. My torque wrench only goes to 100 ft lbs and it took more than that to line up the dots. Maybe 110 ft-lbs. After the adjustment the tension was 57 lbs or 26 Kg. I'm about in the middle of the range of 20 to 30 Kg. Have not taking it out for a test drive yet. Looked for torque values in online manual but couldn't find any.
'15 Zero SR

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 06:35:15 AM »

On the topic of torque wrenches, I want to speak up and say that the Precision Instruments torque wrenches I bought (C2FR50F and C2FR100F) are brilliant. You set the torque on the dial, lock it in, and then tighten until it goes "click".  Unlike ordinary click-type micrometer torque wrenches which must be turned down and used a few times to loosen them up for real work every time you want an accurate set;  The Precision Instruments described here don't have any maintenance like that and are dead simple to use. The downside is only that they are CW not CCW so right-hand thread only.

JaimeC

• View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 08:19:20 PM »

Well, I adjusted my belt today for the first time.  The $30 track stand I bought from Harbor Freight made it REAL easy (and why does everyone else charge so much for what is essentially a length of steel tube with a couple of wheels attached??).  The Kriket is now showing between 20-30, which is exactly what I wanted.  Prior to the adjustment is was up to 50-60 and the normally quiet electric "whine" of the motor had gotten noticeably louder.  That, to me, indicates there was a definite strain on the bearings.
1999 BMW K1200LT
2019 Yamaha XMAX
2021 Zero SR
Pages: 1 2 [3]