• May 06, 2024, 10:32:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tools and parts to support your bike  (Read 2902 times)

gingerjet

• View Profile
Tools and parts to support your bike
« on: May 30, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »

Since I've moved a half dozen times since i owned my last motorcycle - I have long donated or simply thrown out all my motorcycle specific tools and parts.  So I'm looking to stock up again. 

I'm curious what you keep on hand and/or take with you on the road?

NEW2elec

• View Profile
Re: Tools and parts to support your bike
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »

Well the good/bad news is you don't need/can't fix many tools on a Zero.  Tire repair patch up kit is always nice.  Allen wrench set and some spare fuses and bulbs.  The BMS or MMB or motor or battery goes out the best tool is a phone to call for help.  Watch your belt and get it changed if you see any punctures or rips there is a lot of torque on it and only a belt in good condition can take the stress.  Most of the time though its just turn the key twist the throttle and go no worries.
Good luck because that's always helpful too.
Cheers

quixotic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 12:26:25 AM »

Tire repair patch up kit is always nice. 

Is there a tube in there?
2013 Zero S. Isle of Man Classic TT is on the bucket list.

Killroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 12:35:28 AM »

Most motorcycles are tubeless.

NEW2elec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 12:38:59 AM »

When I got new tires they put some tubes in mine but from the factory no I'm pretty sure they are tubeless.  The sticky cord plugs work for most people in a pinch.  The tubes have worked well for me almost no air loss over months of riding or sitting.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 04:09:43 AM »

DS and FX tires before 2015 models are tubed. All other Zero models after 2012 are tubeless.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 12:32:23 AM »

The owner's manual lists torque specifications in both lb-ft and Nm. Most (all?) Fasteners are metric. Looking at Precision Instruments torque wrenches that are right-hand thread and available in kg-cm, lb-ft, Nm, oz-in markings.

I also work on a Subaru car (metric), to be replaced by a Tesla (metric...?) soon. I may occasionally do some bicycle repair.

Did Zero spec the torque primarily in lb-ft or in Nm? Should I get torque wrenches with lb-ft markings or with Nm markings?

The torque wrenches I am looking at are clockwise-only operation. Are there any counterclockwise threads on the Zero?

The national sales manager for Precision Instruments suggests to me their C2FR50F (markings down to 8lb-ft) and C2FR100F 3/8" drive torque wrenches to cover the range of torque specs based on the Zero 2016 DSR owner's manual. These wrenches are also available in equivalent units with Nm markings.

MrDude_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 01:12:13 AM »

The owner's manual lists torque specifications in both lb-ft and Nm. Most (all?) Fasteners are metric. Looking at Precision Instruments torque wrenches that are right-hand thread and available in kg-cm, lb-ft, Nm, oz-in markings.

I also work on a Subaru car (metric), to be replaced by a Tesla (metric...?) soon. I may occasionally do some bicycle repair.

Did Zero spec the torque primarily in lb-ft or in Nm? Should I get torque wrenches with lb-ft markings or with Nm markings?

The torque wrenches I am looking at are clockwise-only operation. Are there any counterclockwise threads on the Zero?

The national sales manager for Precision Instruments suggests to me their C2FR50F (markings down to 8lb-ft) and C2FR100F 3/8" drive torque wrenches to cover the range of torque specs based on the Zero 2016 DSR owner's manual. These wrenches are also available in equivalent units with Nm markings.

to be honest, there are not a lot of torque critical fasteners on a zero.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »

to be honest, there are not a lot of torque critical fasteners on a zero.

Okay. When I did repair work on my Subaru car, I figure if I mess something up it is just going to stop moving forward or I'll lose a wheel (and hey I've got 3 more of those on the ground!)   I feel differently about a 2-wheeled machine than you at this point, because I'm not comfortable of the idea of just the "feel" of how tight a fastener should be.

Is there some reason to buy torque wrenches rated in LbFt (instead of Nm) for new products such as the Zero Motorcycles bikes?  Are the bikes mostly metric fasteners and yet still designed and rated in LbFt with a convenience conversion to Nm?

It's confusing to me and yes I understand the Zero is relatively low maintenance but I'm looking for experience *using* torque wrenches.  Not-using torque wrenches is great but not what I'm asking about, just to be clear, and sorry if I was a bit daft in my previous question!

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »

Read p. 5.5 in the Zero factory owner's manual - lists torque in both lb per ft and Nm. Range is from 8 to 75lbft. Just buy a pair of torque wrenches to cover this range and be done with it. In the US most torque wrenches I've seen have scales in both Nm and lbft, so I can use whichever I feel more comfortable with. So it really does not matter.

I've had plenty of bolts stripped by "professionals" using the wrong torque in repair shops on my cars in the past. While I do hand-feel things a lot, having a torque wrench takes the guess-work out of it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 06:07:54 PM by Kocho »
'15 Zero SR

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 10:53:17 PM »

What do the belts cost? I'm sure it's critical to have a spare while on the road. My dealer is 2-hr drive away.

mrwilsn

• 2014 Zero S / 2017 Zero SR
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 11:13:47 PM »

What do the belts cost? I'm sure it's critical to have a spare while on the road. My dealer is 2-hr drive away.
I just paid $93 after tax yesterday for a spare belt at my local dealer. I definitely recommend having a spare.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Zero S

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 11:47:17 PM »

Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Shadow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 05:28:28 AM »

Found an example of the dial for one of the wrenches I'm looking into:

(( IMAGE DELETED ))

So I was confused thinking there's no conversion chart handy on the wrench. The unit is for the dial on the wrench. Unlike the micrometer types there's only one unit on the dial but a chart is there for reference.

Okay here's the Precision Instruments C2FR50F and C2FR100F:

Semper Why

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »

This may or may not be appropriate. Mods, feel free to give me a ModSmack if not.

Kickstarter has this: T-Ratchet Multi-Tool & Torque travel Extension. Handles 2-8 NM and fits in a large-ish pen slot.

It will be a while before delivery, but it seems small enough to store on your Zero. I joined in as a backer on this one as I'm going to use it for... other things. I have no financial stake. Usual Kickstarter caveats apply (no guarantees, delays are inevitable, yada yada yada).
Pages: [1] 2